GBBD January Magazine

I want to thank One from Onenezz for highlighting my post on her post,

Blooms at the Nature Park – Jan 2011

This is a post to see as she has pretty blooms and butterflies, all in season and right now. My butterflies were captive in the Conservatory, hers roam free.

About these ads

This entry was posted in Bloom Day, Butterflies, garden, Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, My Creative Posts, Winter and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

89 Responses to GBBD January Magazine

1. Cat says:

So clever as always! Love your seal and bear…I’ll have to show these to my kids for some inspiration for our upcoming ski trip! Have a great weekend Donna.

2. lifeshighway says:

I always enjoy the GBBD magazine when it makes an appearance. Another lovely addition. Very cute seal.

3. Rosie says:

I’m sure you felt great satisfaction creating this. Beautiful! And the advertisement – that’s clever :-)
    Rosie

4. fer says:

Very nice magazine! Loved the seal and the bear

5. Actually, Rosie, little satisfaction. I always look forward to GBBD, but I have been in bed for two days straight with a cold that has been traveling the area keeping people going to doctors and bedridden for over a week. A friend of mine had this head cold, fever and sore throat too, so I know what I am in for. My laptop is my friend during this and I made the whole post with images, some new like our snow four days ago, and some old like my little gnome diggers. No new art from the laptop. If I had the snow scene for tomorrow, there is a foot more of snow out there today. We did get some snow.

Cat, the bear and seal were easily to make, just have some polished black stones for eyes, nose and claws. Whiskers were some dried garden finds. Can’t remember, maybe the grasses. Your kids should have a good time. I was planning a papa polar bear standing up last year, but we lacked snow days. The bear above was in deep melt when the temps went up.

Thanks lifeshighway for stopping in. The magazine is for Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day and usually is posted tonight around 11 pm for the fifteenth of each month. But there is little chance I will be up then. I have been fast asleep by 7:30 for the past two nights.

6. We could never keep wire critters in our yard during the winter growing up. One of the neighbor kids kept coming in while we were gone and rearranged the deer so they were mounting each other.

7. Wow – good magazine – you must put a lot of work into thaqt – congratulations.

• Thank you, but once the template was made, it is easier and faster than a regular post. I want to do another one for my travels to garden walks in my area for summer. With my job, anything I can do to save time is a plus.

8. I wish I had half of your creativity! I must admit, the seal and polar bear made my day, and made me smile. I lack so much creativity, that I’d just build a snowman!!

• Snowmen are my favorite to build. I like finding stuff to put on them, like twiggy hair and such. We don’t often get the right kind of packing snow. Our snow now is too light and fluffy. Maybe I will make a few chickens. Would that not be fun?
      They would not be too hard if they are nesting. What for a beak????

9. Dear Donna, I was so excited when I saw another edition of your magazine listed in my blogroll! The photographs are stunning, as always. The ‘Gnomes 4 Homes’ advert. is hilarious. I hope you feel better soon. P x

10. You should move this magazine from the virtual to the real world and make some money. The photos and articles are so well done and Gnomes 4 Homes is very funny.

• Thanks, but making it real is a job way past my abilities. When I worked in advertising so many years ago, I saw the work involved in print production. I do not have the patience anymore for making work ready to go to press.

11. Really fun magazine design again! Please send those gnomes my way — they can shovel the snow out of my backyard so that I can find some blooms to photograph for tomorrow. :)

12. One says:

This is a really outstanding magazine. I like the way you bring out the golden beauty from that wilting flower in your cover page.

Those circles of water where the seal popped up its head makes the whole image very real. I just can’t help being impressed by those little details you thought of.

The strategy that Gnomes 4 Homes employ makes me laugh. The little critters may have to shift continuously or change their diet.

• Thank you One. It is getting harder to find something in the garden to photograph. That one hydrangea keeps hanging on and I keep taking its photo each month. I took its picture four days ago. I had to shake off the snow this month, but I bet I don’t see it next month. It is completely covered in snow today.

13. The whole magazine is wonderful! I really like the bit on the beauty of the small things in the garden. My kids enjoyed the bear and seal and are now anxiously awaiting more snow so they can make them in our garden. Hmmm…wonder if we will get more snow in Georgia to do that!

14. Jennifer says:

Wonderful and creative as always! I like the polar bear and seal. After I was done reading the magazine, I took a look at all the butterflies. They are such lovely creatures aren’t they? Have a great weekend. Jennifer

15. I agree with Carolyn! Those are very well done with beautiful photos.

16. Greenearth says:

Great essay in white.

Another great edition of the magazine, Donna! I need the Gnomes 4 Homes badly. The snow creatures are amazing. You are so talented.

I’m sorry to hear you have come down with the flu, there are so many kinds going around right now. I hope you are feeling better very soon, I always look forward to your posts.

• Karen, I am so glad you got to stop in. With all your responsibilities and issues going on lately, I really am happy to see you. I have been following all your tribulations lately and am glad to see your humor return.

18. thanks so much for visiting my blog! i wasn’t sure what i was reading at first. this does look like a magazine! cute little snow bear and seal and i love your photography!

19. p3chandan says:

I love white flowers and your photos showed them so stunningly! Great magazine Donna!

20. Bernieh says:

I’m a big fan of white in the garden and I’m trying to add more splashes of it around my garden. Lovely photos … beautiful AV and Orchid. Adored the bolar Bear and the lucky seal!

21. This is the first time I’ve seen your magazine and I got confused! I thought it was a real magazine that maybe your blog had an article in. What a great idea. Well done

• Thanks for checking it out. I have been doing it for four months and it is a lot of fun. Time to start thinking about February. Maybe a little push on my forced bulb and they might appear. Sure my budding orchids will anyway.

22. Elaine says:

I really enjoy your magazine and I love white in the garden – winter, spring, summer or fall!

23. Mac_fromAustralia says:

Gorgeous as always.
    Feel better soon!

24. Gail says:

Your posts are delightfully inventive and informative. Love the ‘articles’ and the photos~ I am so very glad you visited my blog so I could discover this magazine! Have a sweet weekend~gail ps love that seal!

25. As someone who grew up in Buffalo, I really enjoyed your Niagara Falls magazine. Very creative GBBD post.

• I did not know you were a Buffalonian. Small world. I keep meeting bloggers from this area. I am going to start a new monthly magazine in summer for my travels around WNY. It may bring back some memories for you.

26. linda says:

So sorry about the sick. I can completely empathize, still getting over the dang thing myself. Tried hard not to pass it to my husband, and he end up getting it even worse than me. And neither of us has had a cold/flu in four or five years. Whatever this is that’s going around seems particularly nasty. Hope you feel better soon. I was impressed with your bloom day post before reading that you’ve been sick. Wow, what a trooper! Beautiful post.

• This post happened from my sick bed, and I did have a few other things planned differently and more of garden finds. But, hey, I have had nothing else to do from here for three days. One good thing is, I am hardly eating much, so maybe it will put me down a few pounds. That is always a good thing.

27. Kathy says:

This is a novel way to present GBBD. I hope you feel better. Something bad has been going around my family, too.

• Thank you Kathy for checking in and your well wishes too. I am glad you saw the GBBD magazine. I am planning another for my travels around our region, it should show a lot that you have seen already, but I guess from my perspective.

28. Aren’t you clever! This is about the coolest thing I’ve seen…you have taken GBBD to a WHOLE new level! H.

29. Carol says:

Marvelous! A wonderful post. If this was a magazine on a newsstand, I’d buy it right up! Thanks for making bloom day so special!

30. Love the format! But what got me wasn’t the blooms, it was the awesome snow sculptures.

• Thank you. They were from January last year. I love making them, but we don’t get the right packing snow very often. I am going to make roosting chickens this year if the snow is right. People will think I am crazy, but I like chickens and so do many gardeners. When I am up and about soon, I will be on the lookout for a natural dried plant to make the beak.

31. Gayle Madwin says:

So many gorgeous pictures! I especially love the snow seal.

32. Love the magazine style Donna. You are one clever girl. I loved Stay at home houseplants best. It’s good to have houseplants to cheer us through winter.~~Dee

• Thanks Dee. They are pretty much all that is blooming here. Lots of brown and a few berries not yet taken by the birds. I have to learn to get pictures of berries BEFORE the birds descend, especially on my Viburnum. One flock and the plant is bare.

33. noel says:

aloha,

love all the displays, color and showmanship…very cool show – thanks for sharing

• Thank you for stopping in. Where you are from, colorful flowers are blooming. Here you get what you can get. I do travel they area and have some beautiful snowy and icy images from around the Falls. I had a two week series on the Falls that GBBD fell in between. I will resume my Falls images soon.

34. Donna: I can’t believe you did all that while you were sick! I agree with others who said you could sell it as a print product, but as you say, that is a lot more work (what I do during my “day job”). Hope you feel much better soon! Beth

• Thank you Beth for the vote of confidence. I do enjoy doing the graphics. I think it would be neat to hook up with other gardeners and do a quarterly magazine showcasing our gardens, plus other bloggers would be better writers too. If anyone is interested, let me know. It could be a collaborative effort.

35. Lisa at Greenbow says:

Your snow creatures are a delight. You are very good at snow building. It must be all that snow you have to work with. Happy GBBD too.

36. TS says:

This is amazing!!! It was like reading a real magazine, only better since it was free!! How did you create this??? Love the snow seal!

• Well like I said if any of you want to get together and make quarterly, I can do it pretty easily. Say three or five showcase their gardens magazine style every four months. I think it would be fun because readers would not know who to expect to see each quarter if the gardeners change. Just a thought. I know it may be the fever talking, but I might be onto something here.

37. As I was reading your post, I thought, “This looks like a magazine, how cool!” Then, I scrolled back to the top to see if that’s where the comments were, and saw you actually called this a magazine, and from the comments, I see you’ve done this before. I don’t make it to all the posts each month, but always hope to see more.

Thanks for visiting my GBBD post, and not minding my variations on a theme. That’s what I should have called the post. I hope you’re feeling better soon.

38. Donna,
    Once again you truly inspire me. My favorite part of this issue is when you say: “Finding details in the landscape can be as simple as the colors of black and brown or a relationship of purpose and need.” Truly eloquent! I showed my garden girls the seal and the polar bear and they were delighted. Well done!

• Thank you Melanie. Like I said in my comment on your post, there is so much beauty in the fallen snow. And you found and expressed that so well in your post.
      How I knew you would do a post on snow on the garden, I can not tell you, I just knew you would. Loved your entry today.

39. joene says:

Love those snow sculptures!

40. This was SO creative.. love the post! Can’t wait to see what you post next month!

• I will try to get something for next month worth my little magazine, but I may have to go to the farm. My garden is small and we keep getting snow. There may not be one plant anywhere to be found under all the snow.

41. Wow what a cool edition. My kids and I really like the seal so cute. Thank you for visiting me so I can follow you back:). Have a nice weekend!

42. Alistair says:

White flowers in the garden, my wife’s favourite. I didn’t get it at first thought all plants should be colourful, that was many years ago. Since then, I have been educated in to liking everything my wife likes. Yeh it works, anything for a quiet life.

43. Ruth says:

Your magazine is great! :) So very creative! I hope you are feeling better.

44. What a fun post. I loved the article on white flowers because I find them so tricky to use – but you’re right – they’re the best in the shade and at dusk. And your snow critters are too cool!

• I love using white and at one time had an all white garden. It was very pretty, but over time I grew bored and needed to see color. Then it went to blue, yellow and white. After reds and yellows and orange. Now, back to blues, pinks and white. Some yellow remains.

45. My favourite out of all of these pictures is that little acorn with some snow on top. I keep going back to look at that – it’s so simple but just so pretty with the different textures.

46. Ginny says:

That photo of the hydrangea could have been taken in my garden – those dried brown blooms will probably hang on until I remove them. Wonderful magazine as always! I’m so sorry you’ve been sick! Sending healing thoughts your way. . .