GGW Picture This GWGT Submission

A break from Process of Design….

These images are the result of using a clear jar with glass or shells in the bottom surrounded by either glass and/or drafting paper around the outside of the jar. It is lighted by a high intensity, incandescent, drafting light illuminating from the rear. The first image is my submission for the GGW Picture This Photo Contest because it is less identifiable and looks painterly to me. It has glass and shells on the outside of the jar with tracing paper diffusing the light.

This image below is very similar to other submissions in artistic feel so I am not using it, yet it may have a better chance for being in the finals.

About these ads

This entry was posted in My Creative Posts, photography and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to GGW Picture This GWGT Submission

1. joey says:

First offering, very unique. Good luck.

• Thank you, unique was what I was after. I don’t have the technical skills to light a shot or even stage it properly. So I just loaded the jar and gave it a shake. Ran off a few exposures and good to go.

2. One says:

Wow! I like the colors coming through the bottom of the jar. Haven’t seen your link at GGW. Having fun?

• I guess I had hurried fun. I had a State application for Farm Workers at the Nursery to get out this morning by 9 am, and a Garden Club meeting at 10am to attend. So with fifteen minutes to spare, I used stain glass shards and sea shells in my pickle jar and shot it similar to the GA submission. I was aiming for an artsy shot, not being a good technical photographer. Being judged by a photographer, I may not have much of a chance. But I did get creative with the tracing paper, so ya, I guess I did have some fun.

3. Cat says:

Love it!!! Beautiful images – best of luck Donna!

4. Hi. Thanks for the comment on my entry. I like the golden light in yours, and the abstract feel of the image. Good luck! It will be fascinating to see what judge David Perry makes of all these great photos.

5. TufaGirl says:

Beautiful ideas and images. Good luck to you!

6. I’m especially partial to the first. It will be interesting to see what wins and why.

• I am glad you said that, I always look at photographs I take with such a critical eye, never really seeing the art that I seek in it. What is in my head rarely comes out on film, real or digital. I always loved darkroom work because I could manipulate the processing, but I feel like I am cheating on a digital image because I can do so much with Photoshop painting artistically. Not the same as darkroom work, but I bet a real photographer would think differently, using Lightroom or Photoshop as just another tool.

7. Lona says:

I like your take on the Mason Jar contest. All the glass colors and back lighting are so pretty. Good luck in the contest.

8. Although I like the shells, I agree with your choice. There’s more warmth and richness in the color in the first shot. Good luck!

• I think the shells were more in the spirit of the contest using natural elements. I should have played with this image because I think it could have been a good choice for entering. Thanks for the encouragement.

9. What a fun activity I sort of like the third one down. Even though it’s obviously a mason jar, I like the angle and the shading and the roundness of the photo. Very nice!

10. Another great entry. Good luck.

This is something I’ve wanted to try since first seeing this technique. Of course, I love the stained glass in the mason jar! (Just a bias on my part.)

12. I thought I’d already stopped by…but I don’t see a comment from me, so…
    I love it! The colors are great and it’s very unique!

13. I would hate to be the judge . . . your photos are wonderful Donna!

14. Gail says:

Donna, I love the second photo~The amber jar and the rainbow glass are just right. It sure looks like a fun contest~gail

15. Unique and intriguing – bound to win. Best of luck anyway Donna

16. That’s a really interesting technique Donna. Lots of scope.

17. I wish you the best of luck. I love all of the images, but number two makes my heart sing.~~Dee

18. lifeshighway says:

Love the glass chips, is it too late to tell you good luck?

19. These are great, and kudos for being an excellent editor. I think your first choice is the absolute best one (and I could not tell what it is until I read your description and scrolled down).