Breathtaking Sense of Place

Wait for the spectacular images …

I know I am really milking this image, but I am showing it in comparison to some real gorgeous winter photos below and those in the contest if you go to the gallery,  here. I was having a tough time getting to Gardening Gone Wild yesterday, and with all my blog problems, decided to make a fresh post for my entry.

Make sure to see all the other entries in the Picture This contest too. I learn so much about photography from the GGW site. Special thanks to GGW for having the monthly contest and here is my entry for the Gardening Gone Wild Contest again. Now for the good stuff…

And you know I do not use the term Sense of Place lightly, as I explained in my previous post.  Again these scenes are not made by man but Mother Nature, by favorite designer by far. And even you bloggers tired of winter have to admit this is really beautiful watery scenery.

And, they are not my photographs either so very sad to say, although you can bet I wish they were. These were emailed to me from a good friend and I just have to share. I have included the text as written word for word too. It is shown in italic.

So Happy Monday and I bet they bring a smile, one of true amazement.

Welcome to Lake Michigan in Winter

Update, just in today (March 3)  from the friend sending the email…

I apologize for sending out the photos from “Lake Michigan” as someone (who checked it out) said they are really from some place else and NOT Lake Michigan.  I sort of wondered but took them at face value.  They were beautiful photos though and worth sending out, but I stand corrected.
Here is what I received from an informed email friend.
Great photos.Great icebergs.Not Lake Michigan.

Photos taken by Norwegian sailor who was 1,700 miles off coast of South Africa; thus they are Antarctic icebergs.  We’ve seen such in the Arctic regions, but, growing up on Lake Michigan, never saw such a thing because they don’t happen there. These photos discussed on a number of myth busting websites.

Icebergs in Lake Michigan sometimes have stripes, formed by layers of snow that react to different conditions.

Blue stripes are often created when a crevice in the ice sheet
fills up with melt water and freezes so quickly that no bubbles form.

When an iceberg falls into the lake, a layer of water can
freeze to the underside. If this is rich in algae, it can form a
green stripe.

Brown, black and yellow lines are caused by sediment, picked up
when the ice sheet grinds downhill towards the lake.

The water froze the instant the wave broke through the
ice.  That’s what it is like in    Lake Michigan where it is the
coldest weather in decades.  Water freezes the instant
it comes in contact with the air.  The temperature of the
water is already some degrees below freezing.

Just look at how the wave froze in mid-air.

Whoever was responsible for these amazing images, a huge thank you for sending them out. Here is  a link for the images shown from Snopes, just received from a commenter. I thank them for finding it to give the credit. And if you click this link, you will be taken to Snopes and will find another link to click to see icebergs in the Antarctic. These are spectacular. Is the internet not the most amazing place to travel?

I am someone who appreciates the cold winter and find so much beauty around, but these images really stopped me in my tracks. I can truly feel the cold in this place. I can sense the wonderment of being here. I relish the magnitude of quiet solitude in the cold damp air. I would feel the cleansing that winter brings all around me.

And oh, how I would love to be that guy in this photo…. what a stunning place. Sculpture made by temperature. I mentioned last post how sometimes the smallest detail is all you need to see, but this is a case of the opposite. The detail is large and looming. Scale means everything.

Stop back tomorrow for my monthly Gardening Magazine, The Niagara Falls Garden. It is in the fifth month of blog publication with January’s issue found here. I do it each month for May Dreams Gardens, Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day. I know I am a bit link happy in this post, but if you have some free time, jump around. And PLEASE let me know if you are having any trouble accessing my blog. I would really appreciate the feedback.

About these ads

This entry was posted in garden. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Breathtaking Sense of Place

1. dona says:

Wonderful pictures for a wonderful place: I absolutely want to visit it!
    Your picture is very nice as well, good luck for the contest then!

2. Edith Hope says:

Dear Donna, You may or may not be aware that I do not have a camera………but although I cannot take photographs myself, this does not mean that I do not enjoy or appreciate the photographs of others. Your wintry scene is spectacularly pretty. A beautiful composition of a moment frozen in time. And, as for the images from your friend……..they really are marvellous and do show the magnificence of Nature in all its glory!

• Edith, thank you so much for the compliment on my leaf. The iceberg images are now credited to their source thanks to a couple of readers. I would not have found them in the first place had my friend not sent them. They are incredibly beautiful and show nature at her creative best.

3. Mary Lou McGuire says:

These are fantastic pictures of ice bergs…..but I forward the following site re the source of the photos….http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/stripedicebergs.asp

4. Thank you to the readers who found the iceberg images. I would have credited and now I can. See the added links, spectacular images.

5. Garden Sense says:

Gorgeous image of the lone leaf caught out of character! Enjoyed the incredible icebergs as well!

6. Missy says:

I love your photo of the leaf on the snow. Good luck in the contest.

7. Marguerite says:

Amazing photographs and story behind these icebergs. Thanks for sharing.

8. fantastic photos Donna, thanks for sharing them, love your lone leaf, Frances

9. I see that Green Apples has entered my favorite photo in the GGW contest. I didn’t want to say anything before you chose! I was thinking of entering but not sure how to have the photo available outside my blog as the rules require. Maybe other people are confused. Really enjoyed Lake Michigan. Had no idea it was like Antarctica there.

10. Wow, incredible! My husband used to live near Lake Michigan in Evanston, Ill. He has some bizarre stories to tell about strange ice formations in winter. Thanks for sharing these!

Good luck with the photo contest! Your leaf image is stunning. And thanks for sharing the striped iceberg photos and story. That is truly amazing. I did not know such a phenomenon existed. What a spectacular sight!

12. Meredith O. says:

I love your leaf image! And I’m in awe of the icebergs — nature is my favorite designer, too!

13. lifeshighway says:

I had no idea that icebergs form in Lake Michigan not to mention beautiful fanciful blue striped one. Sometimes you just have to pause and admire God’s glory.

14. patty says:

Amazing Wonderful Magnificent Awesome

15. Christine B. says:

I never thought I’d write this: those pictures make me feel warm. Thanks! It’s also nice to read that my state isn’t the only one with icebergs. Michigan, who’da thought it?

Christine in Alaska, 10 degrees F

16. Gesine says:

Wow, really breathtaking pictures!
    Your leaf-pics are wonderful too, I like the shadow!
    Viele liebe Grüße!
    Gesine

17. wiseacre says:

yep, they stopped me in my tracks too. I see some unique winter creations but nothing that comes close to those :)

18. Masha says:

These are the most amazing iceberg images I have ever seen! Thank you so much for posting them, they are absolutely incredible. I will be coming back to look at them.

19. Holley says:

Wow! I’m speechless. Those images are just incredible.

20. Good luck with GGW, Donna, your image looks like a winner to me. And what amazing ice images. They’re quite out of this world.

21. Hi Donna – winter has a whole different perspective when viewed from the monumental landscapes mother nature designs. Not quite the same effect in a slushy street! Interestingly the Google doodle is paying respects to Shackleton today and wonder how he viewed his Antarctican landscape . Perhaps as your lovely lone leaf in a crisp and icy contrast.

Laura

22. Mac_fromAustralia says:

Amazing photos! Thank you for sharing.

23. Malinda says:

The colors and patterns are amazing – Beautiful!