Round, Red, Radiant, Ravishing, Happy Fall, all!

The Apple Farms

Cortland apples are sweet and juicy with a touch of tartness, making them a great choice for baking and slicing in salads. In fact, the white fleshy Cortland was created in a New York State Agricultural Experiment Station in Geneva in 1898.

Apples are being brought in crated from the fields.

Many varieties are still producing, like McIntosh, Fuji, Empire and Johnny Macs.

But Cortlands were developed at a time when the criteria for a good apple was quite different, where baking pies was what the apple was grown for. The Cortland is a cross between the McIntosh and Ben Davis varieties.

Apple cooking tidbits

• One pound of cored and sliced apples, measures approximately 4 1/2 cups.
  • Three medium-sized apples weigh approximately one pound.
  • You will need about two pounds of whole apples for a 9 inch pie.
  • One large apple, cored and processed through a food grinder or processor, makes about 1 cup of ground apple.

These McIntosh above are ready for picking, but the Cortland are pretty much picked for the year and ready for cold storage. I did get the last of them for my pie.

Interestingly, apple eating dates from Stone Age cultivation in areas we now know as Austria and Switzerland. And the US today follows the Peoples Republic of China as the second largest producer.

If you are Greek, you are probably familiar with apple tossing. Marriage might just be in your future if you toss one at a girl of your choice.

Most of you know this one, that if you rub cut apples with lemon juice , it will keep the slices and wedges creamy white for hours. This one you may not know. Keeping them cold is great for storage, but did you know apples do not freeze until the temperature reaches 28.5° F?

No matter how you slice it, New York grows great apples. They are in the top six producers nationwide including Washington, Michigan, Pennsylvania, California, and Virginia.

And, why pick the Cortlands….

The Apple Walnut Pie

And who wants a piece of fresh from the oven, homemade apple walnut pie? My secret ingredient is maple syrup, in the pie and drizzled over the vanilla ice cream. I can not get enough maple syrup at this time of year. My other favorite Fall pie is a wet bottom Shoe Fly Pie, a Pennsylvania Dutch delight, an easy to make, yet decadent, gooey brown molasses pie. Yum, yum, yum with many memories of home.

A little cider and this is Fall to me… Happy Fall, all!

And, please see the Green Apples post, Hot Tamales, the Produce is Colorful, for some colorful fall produce and a recipe too!

About these ads

About Donna Brok

This entry was posted in Apples, Farm Life, garden, photography and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Round, Red, Radiant, Ravishing, Happy Fall, all!

1. What a lovely post and as always, accompanied by beautiful photography! I’m off to get an apple to munch on :)
    Happy Fall Donna!

2. Donna says:

Donna wonderful post highlighting the NYS apples especially my hubbies fav the Cortland. I love the idea of mixing maple syrup in the pie…we have a lot of maple sugaring going on in NYS too…lovely photos!!

3. Carolyn♥ says:

Those apples LOOK like Fall… my most favorite time of year! But I haven’t given up on Summer yet in my gardens… I’m in denial… life went way too fast for me. I’m postponing Summer for another week or two here. She DID come rather late this year.

4. Carolyn♥ says:

Actually,I meant to say I’m postponing Fall…Summer’s still doing her thing! Beautiful post, Donna.

5. HolleyGarden says:

Those apples look so good – and that pie!!!!! I could eat it right off the page! I agree that the smell of apple pie baking in the oven is a warm, comforting fall scent.

6. Christina says:

What a scrumptious post – too tempting. When you offered the apple my hand was stretching out to take one, Christina

7. Kevin says:

Beautiful post! I love this time of year because of the apples. I was wondering if Hurricane Irene and subsequent flooding had done any damage to the apple crop, as it did to the pumpkin crop. I will do my best to purchase NYS apples to keep local farmers in business. Thanks for sharing!

8. Malinda says:

Gorgeous! What an amazing life style – you have so much energy! Now, I’m craving apple pie. My own trees are still young – but I’m hopeful for a decent crop next year.

9. Yum! Every Thanksgiving I bake two enormous deep dish apple pies – one for my son and one for everyone else. He helps out by peeling every apple! Looks delicious!!

10. lula says:

I am so happy to come back to your blog and find these delicious images of apples, I love them and your pictures!

11. Eileen says:

Your apples look so delicious and the pie looks so yummy. I wish I could have a piece right now. Your photos are fantastic, so crisp and colorful. Have a great week!

12. One says:

Your apples pie looks really tempting! The only apples pies I have are the ones from McDonalds and bakeries.

When I came by last night, I kept thinking that the basket of apples may be good for GGW. I like that one very much.

13. Cathy says:

Great post, and a recipe that is probably going to be on the table this Thanksgiving. I have always loved cooking with Cortland’s… now I know why! And your post popped up while I was smelling apples baking here LOL… with an oat crumble topping for DH.

14. Indie says:

Mmm.. yum! Now I want some pie!! Your apple photos are awesome!

15. Donna…that pie is insane! Great information about apples and Cortlands! Are you sharing your crust recipe??? Great post!!!

16. andrea says:

How lovely those apple trees are, and the fruits are so fresh and very delicious-looking. Do you know that we don’t have apple trees? Our apples are all imported and those that arrive are waxed and not as fresh as what you have there. I hope you will be surprised by this: I only saw an apple tree only once, “just once”. The first reaction was to get a fruit, it was reddish but unripe yet. Because that was my first personally picked apple, i finished it even if it really was sour! And that was my apple picking experience, and i loved it!

I am like One, only see and taste apple pies at McDonalds!

17. I love apples and those all look scrumptious! Love your photos and composition…the added slices of apples and seeds with the pie in the second to last photo looks like something in a magazine! You are certainly getting me in the mood for fall!

18. Kala says:

Great images and post. The apple slices and pie are particularly appealing!

19. TufaGirl says:

Not too many places in Texas with apples here. One little area SW of San Antonio (where a glacier went through) has a little festival at the end of July. Soil is too alkaline in much of the state. So apple picking seems such a foreign thought. A wonderful fall adventure I would love to travel to experience.

20. Dear Donna, I would love to have the recipe for that mouth-watering pie! Am already planning to try out the pumpkin pie from your Green Apples blog. I’m seeing a new facet of you, ‘Chef Donna’!
    Rosie

21. Bom says:

I like the cut up apple in the basket. Nice touch! We don’t have apple trees locally so they can become a bit expensive. I love French-style apple pie with crumbs and cheese but your ala mode version with walnuts also makes my tummy growl. Plus, who doesn’t like maple syrup. As it is almost midnight right now, that means I have to wait a couple of hours to get rid of this sudden craving or maybe until the weekend which is my “cheating” time.

22. Lynn Rogers says:

looks great! love the apple pie shot. made my mouth water. thanks, Donna

23. Barbie says:

What a fabulous post. It made my mouth water! I m so keen to get my two apple trees planted. Thank you for the inspiration.

24. Cynthia says:

Okay, I won’t rest until I’ve made an apple walnut pie with maple syrup. Looks delicious!

25. Jennifer says:

I have a big craving for a ripe red apple right now. That apple pie looks pretty yummy too.

26. Those apples look delicious!
    I wish some day I get to grow some too.

27. I wish we had apple orchards near by. How great. Everything looked yummy.

28. Les says:

I’ve never had a pie made with Cortlands, but would be willing to volunteer. They are not my favorite fresh eating apples, preferring Fuji, Braeburn or Honeycrisp.

29. Such beautiful pictures and that pie looks delicious.