Otter Garden

Otter in the pond and out for a swim. Their fur must very oily because it almost looked silver. The river otter belongs to the family Mustelidae, which includes weasels, skunks, and badgers.

Bokeh Bubbles

They eat fish and the pond is very well aerated, maybe for housing fish or turtles.

I especially like the image of little sparrow above. The sun made such a brief appearance, yet looked so pretty reflecting in this pond. The sparrows used the pond side for bathing and drinking. They would fly in, and quickly leave.

Otters have special adaptations for living in water that give them the ability to dive to depths of 60 feet and remain underwater of up to three to four minutes. This pond is maybe ten feet deep.

Those whiskers you see are very sensitive to underwater vibrations. This is great for finding prey, like fish, turtles, crayfish, insects and water snakes. And I hope, not Sparrows.

Otters are very playful with each other, but only one was present in the exhibit.

See the red twig dogwood? Many plants are in their exhibit and in late Spring I can tell what they are. I am guessing there are a number of grasses that won’t be seen until fall. It looks like daylilies are in the exhibit too. I bet otters are not destructive to the plants.

The Otter Garden

Lots of Mossy Rocks, Clean Water and Fallen Logs are in their exhibit habitat.

The otter habitat at the zoo is a large enclosure with a nice size swimming pool. The otters are out all winter, but have indoor quarters as well.

If you need help in photographing to attain the bokeh effect like in my two Bubble shots, go to APN – Advanced Photography. Net

About these ads

About Donna Brok

This entry was posted in Animals, garden, Nature, Water, Zoo animals and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Otter Garden

1. I love otters. They are so playful and smart. I could watch them for hours. I like that you took shots at water level, so we could see its face and whiskers…great!

2. beautiful images, really enjoyed

3. HolleyGarden says:

Cute otters – great pics! The zoo here has an a glassed in pond for the otters, and it is fascinating to watch them play underwater. They are my favorite part of the zoo. Didn’t know they could dive so deep, or that their whiskers were sensitive to underwater vibrations, though!

4. Catherine says:

Otters are always one of my favorite animals to see at the zoo or aquarium. There is just something so cute about them. I really liked your pictures of them!

5. Lyn says:

I was going to ask about the light effect in the bubble pictures and then you told me! That’s a good site – thanks for the link. I also love the sparrow picture, it has a quiet, meditative feel. But your photographs are always wonderful.

6. amazing bubble photos!

I love your bubbles photo! I have never seen an otter in the wild, but I have seen them in a similar exhibit at a zoo. There were several, and they were very playful and incredibly cute!

8. Your images are truly breath taking!!

9. lula says:

I love the bubbles images, you know I love close ups and abstracts!

10. b-a-g says:

I like the bokeh bubbles too. (Didn’t know what that meant until today.)

11. When our girls were little, we would take them to the Virginia Marine Science Museum in Virginia Beach. They have otters there, with an indoor amphitheater and a glass wall into the otter pond, and we would sit there and watch the otters in amazement. Even my wiggly daughters were fascinated by these wonderful animals. You reminded me of these times with your photos.

12. what a wonderful site this is! thank you for your visit. It has led me to here, and here I’ll be for some time!

13. Indie says:

Gorgeous animals! We saw some at an aquarium in NC, and I could have watched them swimming and playing all day! They had glass so you could see them swimming underwater. They are so fast, and such powerful swimmers. Beautiful.

14. Otters are one of my fav animals to watch but I have never seen them in the wild. Only the remnants of where they have been….I love the effect of the bubble pic…very cool!!

15. Brian Comeau says:

I love the Bokeh Bubbles shot. Terrific post!

16. Going Native says:

Great photos, as always. The otters really brightened up my day.

17. Barbie says:

Oh how absolutely awesome to see this! THank you so much for sharing!! Your photos are so amazing!

18. Marguerite says:

Wonderful photos, like that you got images of his big teeth and sharp claws. Otters are terribly cute and playful but they’re strong predators as well.

19. Masha says:

Thank you for a fun post with great pictures. I love otters, they seem so happy and carefree.

20. Lovely critters, apparently there are places in the UK where they have been successfuly reintroduced back to the wild.

21. I haven’t been to the zoo in years, and I didn’t realize they had river otters. I loved the tip on the bokeh effect. All in all, I learned a lot from this post!

22. Alistair says:

I love what you do with your photography Donna, those otter shots are just awesome, I must take off my stetson!

23. nhgarden says:

I enjoyed this close up view of the habitat! Great photos!

24. The otter exhibit is one of my favorites at the National Zoo in DC. The ones here are smaller so they must be a different type. Gorgeous photos, as usual! :)

25. It’s so much fun to watch otters play! They seem like such happy animals. Thanks for the info on the bokeh effect–you are a wizard with your camera and your photo editing! Amazing!

26. Bom says:

I think the only time I may have seen otters was at a visit to the Central Park Zoo years ago. I’m hoping to bring my children for a visit this summer vacation so I will see if we can find ourselves otters to look at. Great captures, Donna!

27. Ida says:

Simply wonderful. Those bubble shots were pretty cool and the last couple of Otter photo’s were fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing.

28. andrea says:

I first saw otters in the Ocean Show in Hawaii, the rest only on TV! They seem friendly and fun. And i love your title, how about Bubble Garden, because i love those bubble shots and one otter with the captured splash!

29. You’ve got to love otters! I’ve only once been fortunate enough to see one in the wild, and that was only for a brief moment before it ran off, but they’re always a highlight when I go to the zoo. (As long as they have otters and penguins I really don’t need to see any other animals in the zoo!)

30. Denise says:

Beautiful bubbles and an utterly adorable otter!