Trees Dressed in Ice

The Niagara River Walk

Summer is long gone, but a walk along the river is beautiful anytime of the year. Just put on the boots, find a trail and see why nature is therapeutic. With so much of nature disappearing daily, so many open spaces in short supply, the hectic lives of the daily grind, is it any wonder we crave the solace nature provides?

As an architect, I always remember reading what Frank Lloyd Wright said, “Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.”

And a quote from Anne Frank, who saw a world quite differently than most. “The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God.

Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature. I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles.”

So no matter the weather, a walk amongst the beauty of the natural landscape is awe-inspiring.

Whether you see the color or if everything is in black and white, it still elicits wonderment. Some days the sky is so gray, you might think you are watching an old black and white movie.

You can see how misshapen the trees become from the constant ice and wind, yet there is an odd interest among the contorted branches. When the sun hits the ice, the branches sparkle. The ice falls with the warming rays.

This tree has excessive damage of broken limbs and bark, yet it too has an odd beauty.

This image is from earlier this year. Look in the background of the image, the white of the trees is amazing juxtaposed to the blue-green river. Really a winter wonderland.

Again, a very pretty scene with the Falls as a backdrop from last week, but a very treacherous spot for anything alive.

This is the same view, just zoomed out a bit.

This is an image from last year, but is it not a pretty place to take a walk?

About these ads

About Donna Brok

This entry was posted in Ice, Niagara Falls, Niagara Falls Canada, Niagara Falls State Parks, photos, quotes, State Parks, Travel, Trees, Water, Winter and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Trees Dressed in Ice

1. Les says:

Sometimes we need the snow, ice or fog to subtract color from the landscape, then we can appreciate nature’s forms better.

2. Just beautiful. Magnificent beauty.

3. You are so fortunate to live so close to the falls year round. And thanks for the cardinals!

4. Kala says:

That image of the male cardinal against the snow is SUPERB.

5. A veritable winter wonderland

6. Looking at your great photos makes me really miss the fact that we have so little snow in this country – especially in the South of England.. I suspect you probably wish you had less. It does make for beautiful landscapes.

7. What a breathtaking walk! I LOVE the B&W images of the falls! Snow and ice just make the landscape so dramatic. Your photos are spectacular.

8. Going Native says:

Your last photo is beautiful. I needed this post right now. Thank you for reminding me to look for the beautiful in every moment because there is always something beautiful to experience.

9. John says:

Terrific photos. My only trip to Niagara Falls was in January and it was amazing to see the trees, shrubs, railings, and lampposts covered in ice. We walked for quite a while examining the cool icicles and ice formations and wondering how few people probably see the Falls in winter.

10. tina says:

A beautiful place indeed. Nature is so uplifting and refreshing. Your walk is stunning with those fantastic views!

11. Lona says:

It is so lovely in pictures. The steam rolling off of the falls is pretty too. What a beautiful shot of the cardinal! That red looks beautiful amongst all of the white and ice.

12. Jess says:

I always love the look of ice and heavy snow on trees. I know it is terrible for them, but for a moment anyway they are at their height of beauty.

13. b-a-g says:

I agree with what Les said. These are like black&white photos.

14. Indie says:

What a lovely area! Being in nature definitely can be a soothing balm in troubled times. Sometimes by going outside, I feel like I am caught up in a totally different world, where things like wind and seeds and growing things really matter.

Even babies respond to being in nature. I remember when my kids were babies and if I didn’t know what else to do to calm their crying, I would take them for a walk outside. They loved it and usually stopped crying so that they could take everything in.

15. Marguerite says:

When it snows like that here I know exactly what you mean about feeling like it’s a black and white movie. Between the sky and the snow on the ground, the tree bark takes on a dark tone and it all feels a bit void of colour. Rather an odd sensation.

16. Laurrie says:

All beautiful, all beautiful. I like how you show us winter is its own season, not just a dormant period of time to get through.

17. You are so right, Donna! I avoided the chill today, but you’ve convinced me to take a quick walk tomorrow. This might be our last beautiful view of winter for this year. Then again, it could snow in April (hope not, but it does happen occasionally).

18. Stacy says:

A few spring crocuses may be beautiful, but the view you have is sublime. What a phenomenal landscape, Donna! Amazing photos of the falls with the freezing mist rising.

19. Dear Donna,
    Stunning!!
    P. x

20. You had me at the cardinal. Great pictures capturing the last part of Winter.

21. Alistair says:

Ah, isn’t this just the place for the very best in Winter images..

Thank you for the awe-inspiring virtual walk. I enjoyed it, snuggled up inside my warm home! I appreciated the quotes. Nature may inspire us; it may calm or encourage us. It may give us hope and joy. I love your photos!

23. What a walk! I saw my first snow of the winter this weekend today… but it wasn’t even near my house. We’d driven into the mountains for the Organic Grower’s School. Also saw a less happy cardinal than the one in your photo. It was trying to attack itself in the window (fortunately gave up before it got hurt).

24. Cynthia says:

I so wish I could just walk into that bottom picture. Just lovely.

25. How beautiful. Thank you for sharing your pictures.

26. Beautiful trees, but I especially appreciated the gorgeous “bookend” male and female cardinals–our Ohio state bird.

27. I wonder sometimes if we are like those trees, and the happenings in our life given us misshapen branches too. But, of course, that is part of what makes us so beautiful. Thank you for your tender words this morning. I enjoyed them with my tea.