Yippy, I Won

I was the Winner…

I want to thank Les and his Mrs. for the beautiful hand-made greeting cards. I know this paper-cutting technique has a name, but I am not familiar with this type of art. Maybe Les can write in and describe the artistic technique his wife used. I received six cards and each one is equally as beautiful as the next. They are done so professionally on very nice paper stock, and sealed in plastic. The art is especially pleasing, cut out with an Exacto knife, I am guessing. A lot of work went into making these, each being a work of art.

I scanned these, but they are much prettier than I have shown here. I want to keep them in the protective wrapping until I send them to very lucky recipients. My favorite is the one above and I may never send this one.

Hand written cards were an art in itself at one time, and very few do it much anymore. I have a two friends that make stamped/embossed/painted cards to send each holiday. I always look forward to receiving them. I save them all as well, like the two from a dear friend above.

The card below I photographed so you can see the detailed cutting work.

I won these from A Tidewater Gardener’s website, for joining along on the original post, Winter Walk-Off, then being listed in the post Winter Walk-Off Wrap-Up. My post, Bark in the Park got this response from Les on his blog.
“When I read the title of this entry I thought for sure we were going to see more dogs, and I love dogs (cats, not so much). However, it was about trees and their bark, but I was not disappointed as I have always been a treehugger.  Donna shows some impressive trees growing in her local park.”

Thank you Les for the link and the win. And thank you Mrs. Les for the beautiful cards that you made. I just love them.

Since this post has artistic flare and looks to others for inspiration, our W4W word is INSPIRATION. If you feel inspired, prepare a post on inspiration for Wednesday, 25 April.

About these ads

This entry was posted in garden, Things I Enjoy and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Yippy, I Won

1. Congrats Donna..these are the special prizes that brings us joy!!

2. Andrea says:

Wow, these are marvelous. These personally prepared gifts are very rare these days, so already very much treasured. Congratulations! And now that you again told us the W4W word, my mind is stressed again! haha, but thanks.

3. Congratulations Donna, Les’ wife has done some beautiful cards, lucky you to have won some.

4. gauchoman2002 says:

Congrats, those are some pretty cards. I’m not the crafty type by any means, so those are all the more impressive.

5. Lucky you! and well deserved! Those are gorgeous!

6. Bom says:

Congratulations!

7. Dear Donna, Congratulations on your well-deserved win! Mrs. Les is so.o.o talented! Very inspiring. P. x

8. Crafty Gardener says:

Congratulations on winning those beautiful cards.

9. It looks like a simple form of decoupage to me, and the simplicity really becomes the motives.

I agree that handwritten cards – and letters – are something quite special, and a thing we too often forget to use instead of emails or text messages. Recently I gave a friend of mine a box of letters that I didn’t have room to store any more; letters she’s sent me from 1996 to 2003 and it was really lovely to go through all those letters and postcards with her. You’d NEVER do that with emails!

10. AngryRedhead says:

Congrats! I’m absolutely horrible about sending mail – I actually hate receiving mail too because it makes me feel so guilty, but I still love card art!

11. Cara Olsen says:

What a wonderful award! Those are beautiful, and I agree with what a few others are saying here; handwriting cards seems to be a lost art form — one that we should bring back, along with a handful of others that have been outmoded for the “quick, easy, and efficient”. I assure you, nothing gets me going like getting “actual” mail in the post.

Congrats to you!

12. A perfect gift for a gifted artist.

13. Indie says:

Congratulations! I love beautiful cards and pretty paper. How pretty!

14. Les says:

From my wife and myself you are quite welcome. She knows of no special name for what she does, but she does enjoy it. Many of our friends and relatives receive packs of them as presents, and she sells them in our neighborhood’s Front Porch Art Walk each October and at Riverfest (April 28th this year).

15. HolleyGarden says:

Congratulations! Those look just amazing, and I’m sure they’re even more beautiful in person.

16. Greg says:

Very nice and very deserving. Love the image below. I have a female visiting and chriping just before I wrote this.

17. Congrats! And the cards are lovely! Your post about bark in the park was one of my favorites. ;-)

18. Lea says:

How absolutely marvelous!
    Lea
    Lea’s Menagerie

19. Barbie says:

That’s amazing!! Well done!!

20. Grace says:

Wow. Nice score!

21. Congratulations Donna! The cards are stunningly gorgeous, even scanned, I can’t imagine how pretty they must be in person.

Well-deserved, Donna! Beautiful work here, very detailed and just lovely.