Color My World White – First Snowfall of Fall

Snow-in-the-Garden

Snow Works Quietly

Snowmelt

It is absolutely amazing how snow can transform a landscape, especially the first snow, so pristine and beautiful.

Maple-Color-Gone

The snow can make things of little interest, beautiful. It can turn ugly into stunning. That is when you get more than flurries. Our first snow was but flurries and I had to rush out in the morning before the wind or sun dispensed with it. I also had to post it in a day and a half after Welcome to Wonderland – The “Good and Bad” of the Insect World, before its time has passed.

Sad-Rose

Posted for no other reason than a few thoughts about snow came to mind. Yes, snow can be dangerous, dreary, messy, and destroying. Tonight has predictions of 7 inches of the white stuff before morning.

It works in silence most often, falling in the still of night, where the morning brings the big surprise.

The lavender below and rose above have limited time left. New buds on the rose likely will whither. The parsley is on its side covered in snow, tomorrow it will be buried.

Lavender

Did you ever notice how snow in its silence and stillness quiets a world filled with humans that make too much noise? Our daily lives clatter with so much noise that it amounts to toxicity of the soul.

Alyssum

Hydrangea-in-Snow

I love snow for how the streets quiet down. The sounds of nature are what I prefer, the chatter of squirrels and Blue Jays, the song of Cardinals.

Squirril-Drinking

Flurries are welcome, but snow can come like a mighty storm, with wind and strength. Each flake a ready soldier of many armies. Did you ever wonder how plants and animals view snow?

Red-Cardinal

I bet they like the quieting of us!

SnowFlake-1

Wrong lens and enlarged many times, but I still caught a single snowflake falling along with a tiny one inch leaf… I am sure there will be many more to follow before next Spring.

About these ads

About Donna Brok

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Color My World White – First Snowfall of Fall

1. acuriousgal says:

Just a lite layer….so pretty!!!

2. Nick Hunter says:

Nicely done. I’m particularly fond of the Red Oak leaf and light covering of crystalline snow in the first image.

3. Lin Celoni says:

A real snowflake – fabulous. Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving dear

4. hihowsyou25 says:

Wonderful capture love the colours well done !

5. alesiablogs says:

The icicles are just amazing. Donna thank you for sharing your beautiful eye through photos.

6. Emily Heath says:

The first photo and the squirrel are particularly stunning. I like the crispness of snow underfoot, and yes the silence.

7. Great photos, Great post. I love snow, but we don’t get much here. Thanks for the treat. Blessings, Natalie :)

8. Jardin says:

I agree, it falls silently then stills the noise of humans. Beautiful images.

9. connie661 says:

These photos are so clever. I’ve looked at that first light snowfall of the year and wondered how to take an interesting photo. I always thought I had to wait until the grass was covered with snow. Lovely!

10. We rarely get snow. I get to enjoy all the beautiful photos on-line and don’t have to deal with the bad side of snow. Since it is suppose to be a cold winter here we may just get some snow this year. My kids would be thrilled! I too enjoy the quiet streets. As you point out it really makes us realize how much noise we make.

11. Wonderful as always. Happy Thanksgiving and stay safe out your way as the wicked nasty weather blows in yet again.

12. “The quieting of us” – i love that, and i love the cardinal peering out as if to say, hey, i like it when you’re quiet and full of awe.’

i’ve not seen snow, aside from the crowns of the volcanos, in a dozen years… thanks for a lovely post! z

13. You are so right, when I think of snow I hear quiet. It is so fun walking at night after it has snowed with no cars and no people. Finally raining here today after alamost three months of nothing, still way behind for those months but I don’t know about the year. We had very cold weather 21 degrees and colder, but now it’s in the 40s.

14. a friend of mine wrote this. I thought he was early , aparently not .

Hi Donna, No snow storm here yet, just a dusting, too. I bet you’re right about the animals liking the fact we humans quiet down during storms.

16. Ah, yes, I have noticed that too about snow: “quiets a world filled with humans that make too much noise”. In fact I believe that the quieting part is all I like about the snow! Gorgeous photos, Donna! :-)

17. janechese says:

You have captured this light snow beautifully, like the squirrel and cardinal as well as the closeup or macro of the drops on the branch. Yes, I so enjoy the muffling of the street noise and would not be surprised if the animals do too.

18. RW & SK says:

Beautiful are your photos!

19. lucindalines says:

Your pictures are so beautiful, but your thoughts are too. So thought provoking.

20. Patrick says:

Love that third image of red/.green/ snow-capped brown leaves. Reminded me of a boxed set of Christmas cards from The Nature Company. Wish they were still around.

21. mariekeates says:

We don’t get much snow here in southern England. It is nice the way it dampens the noise and hides the litter and the ugliness. The best snow is the stuff you look out at sitting by a roaring fire with no need to go anywhere. I loved the single snowflake and the single leaf, well captured.

22. Such lovely photos, I especially love the ones with the rose and the cardinal.

23. I see we think similarly still…I love the quiet of winter.

24. Pat says:

Snow makes everything so beautiful, at least for a while.

25. Very peaceful and beautiful.

26. Fergiemoto says:

Love the little critter shots!
    We are expecting quite a bit of snow over the next few days, and a frigid blast of arctic air. Should hopefully make for some nice winter shots.