Wednesday Garden Walk – Cute Cottage with Flowers

SnyderCottage-1

Enjoy the tour, as winter weather is just around the corner and all the flowers take a deserving nap until we see them again next Spring.

Snyder-Cottage-2

This is a property from the garden walks that occur in our area. There are over a 1000 homes that graciously open their gardens to visitors from around the region and Canada.

Let’s take a look at how this property does many things right…

Gently curving beds make maintenance a breeze. Now that the work is out-of-the-way… let’s talk inspiration.

Syder-Cottage-3

Wednesday Walks will have some of these all winter to inspire you and your gardening ideas.

Side-Garden-Cottage

Just imagine how you would create paths through your garden.

Snyder-Cottage-4

And dream of what you might plant. Do remember, when you are thinking of what you might do next Spring, write it down now. Plans never come to fruition months later as we imagine if we don’t record ideas when they pop in our heads.

Snyder-Cottage-5

How you might decorate your garden beds? Winter is a great time to look. Last year’s items are on sale quite often. Finding that special piece is a great way to build gardens. It gives you a starting point and a theme can take hold.

Snyder-Cottage-6

Or carve out new beds to overflow with blooms. One thing many do is make the beds too shallow. Remember, the garden needs to balance the structures in them and narrow beds often look out-of-place.

Snyder-Cottage-7

A designer trick is to create garden rooms that lead you throughout a property. You are guided to places where you might not know what to expect or what lies around the next corner.

Snyder-Cottage-8

Would you make a gateway to welcome visitors? Gateways are another trick done by professionals. They designate the start to a journey and also a very important place in a garden.

Snyder-Cottage-9

And don’t forget your house. Coordinating the planting and ornament with the color choices made on the structure makes a very pleasing picture to those passing by. It also shows a level of extra care and understanding of good design.

I don’t know if this gardener hired a professional, is an artist or designer themselves, but they did most things right. My only comment to the design is that they did not plan for all four seasons. A few more green shrubs would add to winter appeal.

And speaking of winter, Friday’s For the Birds is up next. The post gets you out shooting in the snow and getting your photos how they look their best. Tips for winter photography.

About these ads

About Donna Brok

This entry was posted in garden, Garden Walks and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Wednesday Garden Walk – Cute Cottage with Flowers

1. alesiablogs says:

Oh how I wish I could get you out to my garden and help me in the spring!!!

2. Looks like you were there on a beautiful day. I love all the daylilies and the garden art, especially Mr. Sun with the sunglasses.

3. acuriousgal says:

Just beautiful, Donna….you’ve certainly inspired me for next Spring!!

4. cindy knoke says:

so lovely and peaceful~

5. I’ll look forward to those winter photography tips. My biggest questions: How to get motivated to bother going outside in winter, and how to deal with frostbitten fingers when you’re trying to photograph plants. I have to admit the cold really zaps my motivation. Oh, and thanks for the inspiration with the garden you showed here–I did get some great ideas!

6. kerlund74 says:

Wow, a fantastic place. I love gardening and flowers:)

7. Annette says:

Wow, lucky girl! 1000 gardens to visit in the area! I think the timber clad, white house with the pinkish frames is absolutely charming.

8. rebecca says:

This IS a beautiful yard/garden! Your comments give me much to think about while our yard winters. I especially am pondering that advice about expanding beds….I have at least one that is probably too narrow….

9. Alisha says:

so beautiful…

10. I needed some warm sunshine on this windy morning. Beautiful!

11. Patty says:

There was a lot of colour in that garden. My sunniest border probably looks that way too, although I don’t think of it that way. I love all those daisies!

• I once had a daisy bed here. I had some many kinds of daisies it was just a joy to see all the ‘smiling’ faces. I do a lot of redesign here, and when I think back, I miss many of my former designs.

12. Lovely sunny cottage garden, thanks for the tour.

13. Patrick says:

Helluva post for this bitter cold snap we’re experiencing, my dear friend. Agree with Jason on a big thumbs up on Mr. Sun. Wish it was sold somewhere.

• ha! Here we are have a Spring-front. The weather report says it is 35° today, but I have been outside the last few days in jeans, a turtleneck and sweater. Today is colder than yesterday, but it does not at all seem like 35°. I even just saw a bee flying too.

14. yep, my flowers in the garden are sure sleeping – and so is my dad!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Ah, these are such beautiful paths to walk and I love what you wrote about the flowers, deserving their winter sleep before they bloom again next spring! :-)

16. Your blog and pics are so beautiful ….

17. Great garden tips, I really liked the style and appreciated the very thoughtful garden design. I agree that now is the time to look for art for the garden…I bought $60 garden pots today at estate sales for $8 that did not account for the $20 plants that they held. Our local recycle store just participated in Black Friday for the first time this year and had materials at really great prices that could be repurposed for garden art.

18. bittster says:

What a warm sunny post to remember the bright days of summer! I always like a cottage garden, and it’s such the opposite to your wintertime seagull photos!

19. janechese says:

That was a colourful, refreshing and warm walk. Much appreciated, thank you.

20. Needed this cottage garden as all is gray these days.

21. flora says:

wow it is indeed a beautiful place ,,I could stay there forever!

22. Love to live somewhere I could grow plants, flowers and veggies pretty much year round:) Beautiful Photos – thanks so much for sharing!!!