Lewiston GardenFest 2014

Large-GFPoster2014

Welcome to my design world…

On June 21st and 22nd this year will be the ninth annual Lewiston GardenFest. I do much of the graphics and ads for this event among a few other things.

The poster selected by the committee this year was the red rose design shown below done in 2011. In 2011, I did not yet create the green Lewiston GardenFest logo when originally designed, but did put it on the poster in 2014.

The rose was a rose standard from my garden that I over-wintered in my office. Above, the Sonata Lily was gotten from the florist this past November and photographed as a studio shot. If you look closely at the lily, you would see it was a decomposed lily that I reassembled in Photoshop to make a more pleasing design for the poster. The rose was as it appeared attached to the plant.

RedRosePoster2014Tabloid

When I start a poster, I sometimes create a few different compositions of the same art. The poster below was never presented to the committee, yet it was what gave me the idea for the green logo.

It is required to have two sizes, letter and tabloid and the art must work with both. They are printed on heavy-weight glossy paper. Sometimes paper size causes the graphics to change. The next three posters are letter-size.

2014SingleRosePosterSm

The rose above and lily below had to be reassembled or reshot to fit these dimensions.

8.5LewPoster2014

Other times the graphic can remain the same, just the positioning of the text will change.

RedRosePoster2014LetterSz

The lily poster done for 2014 is used on the website being currently updated by me. I designed the website and took the photos at an earlier GardenFest. Being generic images of gardens, it really does not matter much to online advertising of the event. If you want to see what the GardenFest is all about, visit the website.

Website-Image

I think the committee is keen on the black background posters I did in previous years.

2012GardenPosterLewistonPoster

Last year they selected this one below with the Gerbera Daisies. The poster in 2011 had a painted lily, not a photograph. Sometimes I will sit and paint if the mood strikes me.

2013GardenFestPoster

Which poster would you have selected for 2014? Which one catches your eye, the lily or the rose? Maybe next year, the design takes another direction…

About these ads

This entry was posted in garden, Garden Walks and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Lewiston GardenFest 2014

1. Jardin says:

The red rose is very striking against the black background, as was the white lily in 2011. But I really like the colouring on this year’s lily poster. All gorgeous!

2. I think both are beautiful, however, I prefer [only slightly] the lily – lighter and ‘fresher’ approach. The rose is more ‘official’ and strong.
    Happy Monday! :-)

3. Victor Ho says:

There’s a Lewiston in Maine also. Cold also. Nice posters. It’s hard work even with Photoshop to help. Decomposed lily… I had a good laugh over that.

4. Jet Eliot says:

i like them all, and send congrats for all your fine work. The black background seems to give the poster a more formal look, which must be part of what the committee likes?

5. Sonja says:

And you paint, too? Wow! All the posters are first rate but I like the very top one best as it is so springlike and the painted one is excellent as well. No one I our garden group has your wherewithal so advertisements are pretty basic.

6. acuriousgal says:

Did not realize you do graphics too…so talented! Just an idea for a post..you talked about over wintering a Rose from your garden. Can you please speak on that subject at some point? Enjoy your day, Donna🙋

7. Great designs and a wonderful event. I can’t wait!

8. Annette says:

I’m impressed, Donna – well done. Woman of many talents :)

9. janechese says:

I instantly liked the first one because it was light and spring-like, liked the font, the colour and where it was placed plus I liked the lily.My favourite might be the 2011 with both black and white because it combines the flowers with photos of the people and I like the font placement-gets the info across. I like the one beside it except the water mark dead centre drives me crazy-otherwise that is my favourite. Hope I am not babbling too much here-ha ha. I am sure it pays not to get too attached to your work when the committee by-passes your favourite and chooses something that you may be least fond of.

10. All beautiful, but I like the first lily and also the creamy last one.

11. Beautiful work. I think I like the ones with the lilies on the lighter background best. Not sure why, but the black background does not appeal to me as much, even though it is such a striking contrast with the rose.

12. All beautiful work Donna! My preference is the lighter background for a summer event. The rose is beautiful but the darker background with the strong contrast feels heavy to me. I think it is wonderful that you design these posters! I love reading about your garden walks…always fabulous gardens which you show off so well!

13. Denise says:

That is a difficult choice. They are all beautiful. I especially like the 2012 poster. If I had to choose one for 2014, I would probably choose the first one with the lily. It is bright and cheerful.

14. Susan Loughran says:

The firs one with two lilies and bud is my favorite.

They both catch my eye! Very striking.

16. bittster says:

I’m going with the lilies, the rose seems a little heavy color wise. I do like the one with the hosta bloom! Nice work.

17. Donna your talents have no bounds…when I saw this current poster recently I started to add this event finally to my calendar and then saw that I have family coming in that weekend for a week…so this event will have to wait again for me. I will add it to my calendar just in case family plans change, but I doubt it.