Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge

Green-winged-Teal

Take a tour around the expansive and diverse habitats of Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge.  It is one of the larger refuges in our area, and less than an hour away from Niagara Falls.

Since Earth Day just passed, I was thinking why can’t everyday be Earth Day? You visit places like this and wonder why can’t there be more wild spaces to enjoy. After all, without these wild and natural spaces, we would not have much of a world.

Iroquoise-marsh

My question last Earth Day, was Who Killed the Kindness?  The post was called 86,400 Seconds for Earth Day. It raised the same thought in that people need to care all year. Check it out. In 2012, I asked “What’s Your Place on Planet Earth?” Maybe it just takes inspiration.

Red-winged-Blackbird

It may not seem it, but when my friend Andrea and I were here, very few birds were out and about. This is unusual for the nice sunny day when we visited.

I am not fond of Western New York because it is so flat, but it is beneficial for the numerous wetlands in the area.  Without foresight to preserve what we have today, future generations would not have these spaces to enjoy, and the animals not the space to live. What will we preserve for the future?

This was my first time photographing here, so I was playing “tourist” a bit, just taking in the sheer expanse of the place. My post on Tree Swallows  was photographed in this refuge.

Red-Tailed4-17-14

Can you imagine how populated with wildlife this place will be in Summer? Or at least I hope it will.

Meadows

Many different habitats make up this preserve, ready and waiting for migratory birds.

Reinstein

I never saw Duckweed this vibrant before. It is almost glowing.

Red-winged-Blackbird

Of course the eagles were a highlight, even if the photos weren’t.

eagle

The view of the eagle nest is from 3/4 miles away according to a local birder with whom we spoke. You can see the nest in the middle of the next image.

Eagle-Nest-4-17-14

I zoomed in with my small P510 so you could see the mother eagle on the nest in the image below. I know she is far away, but she is there standing on the left of the nest. See how tall a tree the eagle makes its nest?

There is a blue eagle-cam in that tree and now the person maintaining the camera has said they no longer want to climb that tall tree.  We were told this by the local birder.

Eagle-Nest-2

The father eagle takes a midday flight, but did not hunt.

Bald-Eagle

But the osprey returned to the nest with a fish.

Ospey-with-Fish

Osprey-Pair-on-Nest

Think of all the butterflies to come…

Barn

A beautiful place for wildlife, it is quiet and very expansive. Birds proved harder to find with so much acreage to cover.

Song-Sparrow

This pretty native, song sparrow above is from a post coming up from Tifft Nature Preserve with the Nikon Coolpix P510. My friend Connie and I visited this local preserve and I decided to do a review on this camera.  I use it on manual like I do with the camera in this post. I just was not playing “tourist” trying to show what this little camera can do.

Trres-in-wetland

Is this not simple and pretty, above? There is many different habitats here.

Woods-at-Iroquois

Boardwalk

For a few hours, my friend and I were with a group of birdwatchers. The man leading the group is Paul, from Wild Spirit, a Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. Wild Spirit was one of the premier Wildlife Rehab Centers in our area, but now they focus on educating individuals about the natural world. What was funny, the long walk we took on this trail had more people than birds! I took a lot of photos of just a few robins in the woods.

wooded-wetland

This is an Eastern Phoebe. I have to wonder what the birds would think of Earth Day, the one day a year that people think beyond themselves. They might find us an odd bunch.

Eastern-Phoebe

Eastern-Phoebe-2

I am visiting Braddock Bay, a bird hotspot with my friend Barbara this weekend. Maybe with any luck, the trees will start making tiny leaves and the spring wildflowers will begin to bloom.

About these ads

About Donna Brok

This entry was posted in Birds, Earth Day, Nature Preserve and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge

1. ginnietom says:

natural reserve…

2. Debra says:

I always liked the phoebe because it is one of the few bird calls I know. Seeing one there suggests spring might be imminent: more green, more bugs, more birds. I actually can imagine that field filled with butterflies.

3. Pat says:

Beautiful shots.

4. alesiablogs says:

I do like the shot of the water with the bare trees in the background also. Glad you are having somewhat a break in weather. I will be leaving this morning heading out to the tulip fields. I am going a bit late for the season , but I still should be able to see a lot of beautiful tulips and daffodils. By the way, I am making a trip to Wisconsin ( sort of spur of the moment) next weekend. I may take a certain item with me to test it out on this trip! I am meeting up with a gal that is a genealogist and we are hitting an auction of wildlife prints I am interested in! You never know when I might just pop up to Buffalo! : ) Just sayin’ !!!!

5. sckeane1977 says:

such a clear crisp shot of nature the beauty and the colour of nature always amazes me I hope the children I teach learn to see and appreciate this same beauty that surrounds us. Thank you for sharing

6. I can’t wait to see what photos you got yesterday. I have to admit I haven’t gone through mine yet.

7. Lovely shots and interesting facts. :D

8. Totally agree with you. I have never understood the desire to put down pavement everywhere.

9. Nick Hunter says:

Excellent photo tour of a tremendous wetland complex. Thanks!

10. bittster says:

The photos of birds are great, but the landscapes really catch my eye. They all seem to be calmly waiting for the spring rush to come in!

11. The Easterm Phoebe photos are so pretty! Actually, all the scenes are wonderful. That seems like the kind of place I would love to visit. I spent the afternoon today at the Aldo Leopold Nature Center here in Madison, and believe it or not I didn’t take my camera. I just wanted to take it all in for once. Lots of ephemerals were blooming–Toad Trilliums, Bloodroot, and a few others. Farther along than my woodland garden, which is north-facing and on a hill. The Virginia Bluebells are just about to bloom. Lots of wildlife, too. A garter snake slithered across my path and songbirds and waterfowl were everywhere. Time to go back with the camera in a couple of days. Loved this post, Donna! Thanks!

12. Your photos are always so beautiful and I enjoy them so much. We are so lucky to have these spaces reserved in our beautiful State.

13. So many things to see here. Loved the Eagle shots.

14. Good to hear/see you again.

15. Phil Lanoue says:

Outstanding! And any day you get to see bald eagles is a good day!

16. Incredible work with the pictures. Congratulations!!!
    By the way, love the duck.

17. eloratour says:

Wonderful Shot !

Great pictures, as usual. My children firmly believe that every day is Earth Day. I hope they’ll continue to feel that way even when they’re adults.

19. Donna such stunning images of this somewhat barren place waiting for the warm up and lots of activity…some day I will get out and about but not this year…medical issues will keep me homebound again but things are looking up.