Red, White, and Blue September

Thank-you, Carol for the opportunity to participate in Bloom Day, September. I just learned of this wonderful meme last month, so here it goes for September.

September brings the cooler temperatures and cloudy skies. So we will start off with the cool blues.

We had rain last night and I am oh so HAPPY. So are the garden inhabitants, but it is too bad it did not come a little sooner. Many are looking a little peaked, many annuals are getting pulled. After all, they preformed all summer with the greatest of courage in this blasted heat and dry spell.

Caryopteris keeping the bees happy.

Same with Wishbone flower.

New buds on Gentian.

The last blue Hydrangea. Most of them are the dull green of the season.

The last two foxgloves flowers, may get some new buds, but they will not see the light of day.

Hibiscus blooming like crazy.

Roses going strong.

These two, ready for the inside hiatus, along with the rose standard above.

Included today were the following blooms:

• Delphinium
  • Aster
  • Caryopteris
  • Wishbone Flower
  • Gentian
  • Hydrangea
  • Foxglove
  • Hibiscus
  • Rose Standard threaded with Thunbergia
  • Fuchsia
  • Duranta

This entry was posted in Bloom Day, garden, My Garden and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Red, White, and Blue September

1. Layanee says:

I love that you have so many blue flowers blooming. Picked all my gentians for a bouquet. True blue.

2. Plantaliscious says:

I love that Hydrangea, such a gloriously intense colour! Love the Caryopteris too, wish I had room for one in my own garden. Thanks for visiting my blog – us newbies on the GBBD should support one another!

• That hydrangea is one of the gift hydrangeas that I received last year and planted in the lily bed because I did not think it would come back. It has performed all season ( lots of blooms) in the dry conditions of this bed. Dry because of the iris is in there also. The iris and lilies kept the roots shaded enough that I did not have to supply additional water. That was a treat for me.

3. linda says:

Beautiful blues in your September garden! Welcome to Bloom Day!

4. A Garden of Threads says:

Welcome to Bloom day. You have some wonderful plants still blooming in you garden.

5. commonweeder says:

Donna – You are so lucky to have so much blue in your garden at this season. I tried caryopteris which is such a beautiful plant, but no luck so far.

6. Nan Ondra says:

A lovely rainbow of color, Donna. And what a stunning shot of caryopteris – breathtaking!

• Thank you. That was the only photo I took that day that I did not improve by sharpening and contrast. I never have time to make improvements, but my shots have been displaying so flat online, so I gave all the others a little help.

7. leavesnbloom says:

Oh those are true blues there – I especially love the caryopteris photo – its stunning and I’ve never heard of a wishbone plant before. Is that a koralle fushia there?

• I do not have the tag for the fuchsia, but it is really a red color. I never saw one this red. I got it from an old farm stand/nursery in the country. They do not put tags on the plants. The farmer is really old and has been in business for ages. He grows and propagates all his own stock and I get a lot from him. So with his crossing techniques, you never know what you can find. I got a heirloom tomato this year from him that was so delicious, abundant and disease free, but it sadly, had no ID. I hope to get the same next year.

8. It is so pretty there. I kind of wish I could stop by in person and not just virtually. Happy Bloom Day and many, many more.~~Dee

• Same here. I want to visit all the blogger’s gardens. Especially those in the tropical climates. I would get to see all the plants in natural conditions. I now see them at the local botanical gardens. That is fine, but when I was in Costa Rica and Bermuda, I had a field day, literally.

9. noel says:

aloha,

what a lovely garden you have this september, and your flowers are beautiful,i think your red white and blue theme is fantastic. i also loved your train in the garden post, its spectacular!

10. Donna – who said end of summer? Very different here all grey and howling winds. I love the caryopteris.

11. woops wrong address above

12. Wow! Such gorgeous flowers! I especially love the blues. Such brilliant colors.

13. You have lots blooming, too. I love that hydrangea! Thanks for visiting my bloom day post. I don’t think I’m going to plant many bulbs this year.

14. Town Mouse says:

Wow, you had rain! Congratulations, and the plants all look so happy…

Happy Bloom Day!

I love blue and in the garden, it is spectacular. You have so many lovely plants still blooming!

16. Gorgeous photos of your rich palette of blooms! What intensely beautiful hues! :>)

17. Pam/Digging says:

So many beautiful blues in your garden. I’m glad you got some needed rain.

18. Greenearth says:

What beautiful blooms.

19. Rose says:

Lovely blooms for bloom day! I’m especially fond of the blues–I’m surprised you still have a blue bloom on your hydrangea. I’m happy for you about the rain; we could definitely use some here as well.

Enjoyed the post for today on the gnome suicides–thanks for the chuckle this morning:)