Happy Monday – Wabbit News Flash

Just in, Some of Wabbit’s family members were recently apprehended in the neighborhood trying to confuse the crime scene in order to throw suspicion off of Mr. Wabbit and possibly cause a mistrial. All offending family members were rounded up and taken into custody for questioning. If determined to be involved, they will be booked for tampering with crime scene evidence.

Telephoto image of Wabbit’s family and friends hiding out from the police.

Click Images To Read and See Larger.

Donna here… I never did see the rabbit, but finding out later how many of them lived in the neighborhood, a rabbit was very likely the culprit. I actually did have my friend look at the teeth marks for verification.

It started out as a small area, then literally overnight the whole tree was girdled. It happen in the summertime, when you would never expect this type of damage.

He chewed right into the cambium and sapwood layers so the tree had no ability to transfer nutrients to the leaves.  Girdling the tree cut off the only means the tree had  to bring nutrients up to the canopy. All the leaves died on one side first, then the other. Branches also died back and could easily be snapped.

Here is a diagram that shows the trees interior in case this ever happens to your trees. You can see from the diagram the tree anatomy and why these little critters, mice included, are so damaging to the tree’s health.

This entry was posted in Animals, Funny Fotos, Funny Stories, garden, Happy Monday, In the Neighborhood, My Creative Posts, New York Pines Stories, Niagara Falls, Trees and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Happy Monday – Wabbit News Flash

1. FlowerLady says:

Wow, sorry to hear about your wabbit troubles. Your maple was so pretty too.

FlowerLady

2. Bom Gomez says:

Thanks for dropping by. I enjoyed your news flash but am sorry to hear about your tree.

3. I wondered where he went! He is guilty of killing a hackberry tree at Garden on Sherlock Street in 1999. I’ll file for extradition.

• I was so surprised that rabbits gnaw on trees. But what had me stumped was that it happened in the middle of summer. So one got the hackberry. I am going to have to pay more attention on job sites, I keep blaming the mice, but the teeth marks were huge. I am sure Walter can be extradited. It may save on making room for his large family in the courthouse.

4. TS says:

Most excellent news reporting!! I have a wabbit-huntin’ dawg I could loan you…!!

5. Amy says:

Very creative! I have seen a lot of little bunnies hopping around lately in my garden. I guess I never thought of them chewing on a tree before…ugh :/ All I know is that they sure do like my fall asters.

• I have a bunch of asters planted here at 664. I think I planted a rabbit magnet. I’ll probably get Walter’s relatives now. You are the third person alerting me that rabbits find asters tasty.

6. One says:

You mentioned in your previous post that a maple tree cost USD10K. That’s a lot of money being chewed up. Nevertheless I enjoyed your news reporting and love those photos especially the one on the rabbit family. Its amazing that you still maintain your sense of humor despite such a loss.

My condolences…

• The maple that cost 10 K was one about 50 years old on a client’s property. When I bought my maple as a stick, it was $89 wholesale. When it was destroyed, it’s value was estimated at $475.00. You can see that they grow relatively quickly when very young, but after reaching the size that it was, they slow down considerably. I was just starting to train it into shape. That is why it was so painful. You get a special connection to a plant when you have so much emotional tie by such patient care paid on the plant. I have said before, I needed to see some humor in it, so as not look at how much losing one plant affected me in this manner. Thanks for the condolences. I appreciate the sentiment. Glad you like my funny illustrations. They are fun producing the graphics for the story.

7. PatioPatch says:

Hi Donna – that was a beautiful specimen tree, and the square bed set if off very well. It really is a terrible shame because as you say, we become attached to our plants and trees are particularly personable. I have Acers in pots and would hate to lose one but squirrels nearly dug one out a few weeks ago, whilst burying nuts. Delightfully funny illustrations re the rabbits but a sad ending in truth.

Laura
    p.s. thanks for stopping by my blog 🙂

8. Hi Laura,
    I liked visiting your blog very much. I will be back often. I have been having so much fun finding new blogs to read from all over the world through Blotanical, all sharing the same passion for gardening and all wonderful and friendly bloggers.

Squirrels are bad, bad, bad. We have lots of them on our tree lined street. They dig up everything. When a new resident arrives on the street, they do not know much about our outlaw squirrels. They tear in the garbage and drag the mess all over the neighborhood. The rabbits are new to the neighborhood, but have decimated a few gardens in the last two years. They look to be the new gangs in town.
    Donna

9. Ginny says:

Excellent reporting on this tragedy. Rabbits have devoured quite a few plants in my garden. And it seems to happen overnight. They haven’t tried the maples yet, though – thank goodness!

• It was fun playing reporter. I could have played police officer too and been the arresting officer. Why the rabbit it did it was the question. I guess they need to trim their teeth down like rodents.

10. Oh this is just wrong on so many levels! I’m so sorry about your maple; I can truly feel your pain. My maple is now 4 seasons old and a birthday gift from my mom – I would be heartbroken if it died. I hope the rabbit gets its due!

11. Our wascally wabbits have been gnawing the buckwheats, and nibbling the squash blossoms here. I’m sure that telephoto of the rabbit family was from the edge of our garden. I’m seriously considering getting one of those critter-cams so I can conclusively ID the culprit here. Whoever it is, they have a voracious appetite! For our trees, we use 1/4″ hardware cloth and make trunk guards for all our young trees. We have bunnies, but we also have voles, and they’ll strip the bark off a young tree in no time flat. If you replace the maple, you might consider making or purchasing a trunk guard.

• Thanks. I actually had a guard on in winter, but take it off in summer for garden walk since the tree is visible in my yard. That is when the little varmint attacked. I am guess he did it for spite. Can’t trust those pesky rabbits.

I should make a graphic with bunches of coyotes to post on the property line. Douse it with coyote urine and see if the rabbits get a kick out of it here in the city. Guessing they already know there are no coyotes here.

12. Christine B. says:

I’m glad such a criminal is no longer on the streets. Now if they could just prosecute the moose mafia, I could breathe a sigh of relief. Instead, I suppose I’ll get out the stinky bottle of blood-based repellant and fire away at all trees within reach.

Christine in Alaska, no rabbit trouble (knock wood)

13. All I can say is . . . “Off with his head!” Sad to lose such a tree! You are so creative and savvy with your posts. Very enjoyable. ;>)

I recently spotted some rabbits in my garden. I had just planted several flats of pansies in the lady garden. Soon every single flower was nibbled off. Now the plants themselves are chewed down to the earth. I can’t prove it, but I suspect it must be a relative of your wabbit!

• That had to burn you. I think they wait until they see us pack up the trowel and out they come. The neighborhood squirrels watch me as I plant bulbs. I come in and in no time have their mouth’s bulging with newly planted tulip bulbs. I have gotten smarter, I plant them deeper than recommended, and the squirrels are to lazy to keep digging. No tulip has been missing in years. I wait a little longer for them to bloom at their best, but it is better than losing them.

15. Tricia says:

What a shame. Beautiful tree nawed to death. That waskly wabbit should be receive swift justice. I would say send him down to Live Oak because I have been having target practice on the Moles in my yard. I am not a good shot yet and I would not want him to escape. LOL