Happy Monday GBBD

Sorry to my readers for the misdirect this month. My December GBBD post can be found here.

This entry was posted in Bloom Day, garden, Happy Monday, My Creative Posts, My Garden and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Happy Monday GBBD

1. I still can’t get over the tree thieves. I’ve had people steal garden ornaments, like benches, but a tree! You’d think that a tree would die on general principles if it had been stolen. I hope yours recovers.

I like the way you do your May Dreams credit too, for GBBD. Very nice, original and visually arresting!

• This happened three years ago and the trees are still in my front yard. In the city, this happens quite a bit. People landscape their yards with newly planted plants all the time. It is worse on commercial sites, because no one is around at night and side yards are usually not monitored by cameras. Thanks for the compliments too.

2. Bom says:

Fun GBBD! I’m sorry to hear about your tree but was happy to hear that you were still able to nurse it back to health.

3. Missy says:

What a great magazine! I love seeing the dramatic change of seasons. It never happens here. Plant thieves are everywhere I’m afraid. We’ve never had plants stolen (maybe because of the ferocious guard dog) but our local Council says they have it happen all the time from parks and traffic islands.

• I know. I forgot to mention the parks and traffic islands. My nurseryman is always replacing them. But he supplies large trees that would need machinery to remove. My two little lilacs were actually hard to find at his farm. His stock is always good size. I just wanted small, so they take longer to grow. Living in the city, I can not have the trees get too large and Japanese Lilac are really slow growers.

4. Terry says:

Great post about the Lilac tree. I’m on the board of a local botanic garden trust and one of our biggest problems is plants with legs. No-matter what we do they walk, orchids, agaves and palms alike. Perhaps we should micro-chip them. Tis a worry!

5. Autumn Belle says:

I have enjoyed myself thoroughly looking through the pages of your beautiful magazine with engaging stories to hear and so glad that the tree came back and continue to live on, providing shelter and a home for the birds.

6. Amy says:

I enjoyed reading your post! I really like green flowers and would like to have more in my garden. I love the green mums! Your photos made me miss snow. We actually received a little bit of it last winter. You have a beautiful garden!!!

• I too like green flowers. I recently designed a garden with all this acidy green color. Well, not all, but most hues of green were represented. Greens and white, what a great combo. At night the garden is lovely with the lighting that was installed.

7. One says:

Donna, Fantastic magazine!!! I would like to subscribe for it.

Sometimes I lose some fruits but never a tree. How can anyone expect to get away with a tree?

• Well, people will take anything of value. There had to be at least two individuals and a truck. I was shocked they actually returned it. They must not have been very seasoned criminals, because my little sign did the trick.

8. p3chandan says:

Wow! Such a great post. I enjoyed looking through your beautiful photos and reading them.

9. Meredith says:

What a gorgeous magazine! It looks so professional, and your photos are fantastic.

Sad to think that someone would steal even a tree. As I read, I was shaking my head and thinking, some folks will take anything not nailed down — but then I had to laugh. You’d think that a rooted tree would be the very definition of “nailed down.” Here’s hoping that in time it will recover and equal its partner in beauty and health!

Donna, wonderful post! I’m really glad you were able to get your tree back. People never fail to amaze me with their ability to do stupid things sometimes. We’ve had hostas stolen from the garden (and from my fathers’ gravesite, apparently no place is sacred). If the thieves would have asked, I would gladly have shared plants with them, but I guess the thrill of theft is part of the allure.

I love your format in this post, wonderful reading!

11. Janet says:

Interesting post and wonderful layout. We had a Japanese Lilac tree in the Master Gardener’s Learning Garden in Virginia. Really nice tree. Can’t believe some people.
    I have had things missing lately, but I believe it is deer or beaver who are the culprits.

12. Joy says:

Donna (now that I know your name finally ? LOL) .. I am flabbergasted by the whole affair .. and amazed that you did get that beautiful little tree back ! I would love to have one now that I see how gorgeous they can be .. but then again, write a story on just about any plant of tree and I am like a little kid .. I want it !!
    That was ingenious to put that sign up .. I bet it scared the jeepers out of them , thus the sneaking back part .. now wouldn’t it have been too cool to catch them skulking back , tree in hand ? haha
    I love the magazine presentation .. I want that TOO !! hehe
    Great post with beautiful pictures : )
    Joy

• Joy,
      I was never expecting to see my tree again, I just did not want them taking the other tree. The sign must have done the job, because I doubt there was any guilt on their part. I would have liked to have the video that I could post online. I would have put that on the sign too. A You Tube heist….

My problem is the cam recorder is in my office aimed at the front entry and not pointed in the side yards direction, or I would have included the video here for all of your entertainment. And their embarrassment of course as a side benefit.
      Donna

13. John says:

Very interesting stories and inventive site. Great photos too. I like the vivid colors. Thanks for stopping by macgardens… — jw

14. Connie says:

Donna,

This is my first visit here, and it is DEFINITELY not my last. I thoroughly enjoyed this post, and I am off to see what other wonders can be found here …. putting you on my sidebar, as well, so I remember to visit often.

15. Layanee says:

Tree thieves…who knew? I think your sign was quite clever. The tree is back and you have a good story, sad but good. to tell. Happy Bloom Day.

16. Mac_fromAustralia says:

Wonderful post, love how you did it!
    I’m sorry about the tree, and glad you got it back.
    I have heard that in Canberra’s early days people used to steal the street trees the government planted and that is how the plant issue scheme by the government nursery began. Everyone with a new block of land is entitled to a free allocation of plants, to help them get started with their landscaping and discourage them from helping themselves elsewhere. Unfortunately some people still steal from private gardens, public landscaping, and even the new National Arboretum. Very sad.

• Our city is raising little trees and homeowners can put in a request. They just started doing this, but have not had many requests. In fact the trees are getting too big for them to dig, so who knows what will happen then.

17. Wow, what beautiful transition photos. They have inspired me to try and memorialize how my garden changes over the seasons. I still can’t believe that someone stole your tree. I find it even harder to believe that they brought it back. Had they come to take the second one? I had a large and well-established clump of yellow lady’s slipper taken from my woodland. I was so traumatized that it took me a year to admit that it happened even though there was clearly an empty hole. My thief was a connoisseur, and most likely a gardener. Being a gardener seems totally inconsistent with stealing a plant. Carolyn

• I think they brought the tree back because they were sure I had them nabbed. No guilt on their part, just the feeling of being caught in the act. They actually took a greater chance returning it, because I was sure they would come back for the other lilac. I just could not stay up at night to watch. I also was to lazy to move the camera and light the yard on that side, too.

18. I love your blog, never a dull moment! Dang tree rustlers…sheesh. We live in such a ‘me…me…me’ society, makes me wanna slap somebody LOL. Hogging the road is bad enough, but uprooting the innocent? Too far. Heck with a sign that says ‘under video surveillance’, we’re seriously considering cameras…for trespassers though, not tree thieves…and dare us, we’ll prosecute! At least your robins have more respect for the trees than rustlers.

• I have so many stories from through the years in the business. So many from dumb home owners too, but I am not sure I want to risk my business name on that one. That is why I do not have my business name attached to the blog and rarely show professional work. I am too afraid I might be found out.

19. Donna,
    I love this magazine format! SO brilliant! What a happy ending to a sad story. I am glad your Ivory Silk is back at home with you where it belongs! Oh, and I must have some green mums next fall, so cool 🙂

• I am glad the magazine format is well received. It is so simple for me to lay it out in pages. Much easier than loading images one by one and typing and formatting text in WordPress. Plus I lost a post once after having the whole thing done. This way, if I lose a post, I just reload the couple of pages over. No lost time at all.

Green is such a good color to design around. I just completed an all green and white garden design. It was very cool. The greens were very varied, but texture played a big role too.

20. What a fun format for a post! Tree thievery does make for a good story at least… I’m so glad you got yours back! A beautiful and venerable potted Otaheite orange was stolen from our container bed a few years ago. We can only hope that whoever took it knew how to keep it alive and healthy…

21. Rees Cowden says:

Hi there,
    My first time by and must same fine job. I enjoyed the beautiful photos and the stories as well. It is too bad that people will steal something like a tree but is not that uncommon unfortunately. Once I was installing the landscaping at a street median up in the California foothills and was constantly having the plants we put in during the day vanish at night. After about the third time I hired a guard until the job was accepted by the developer. As for the nice robins nest, it reminds me of the view out my second story window. There is a perfect nest sized hole in the crotch of huge sycamore tree. After watching for a month the two babies flew off sometime a couple of weeks ago. I am in south France and not sure what kind they were but it was fun watching them. I hope next spring I will have the chance again.
    Happy Gardening
    Rees

• I too enjoy watching the baby birds grow. Their hungry little heads begging for for most of the day. The robin had two clutches last summer in the same nest. I am glad the tree had a family.

My landscaper loses trees and shrubs, mostly at commercial sites. Unfortunately, people do not realize the cost involved and what their theft does to a small business owner.

22. Rose says:

What an enjoyable post–and your photos are beautiful! So glad you got your lilac back and that it has survived. I am constantly amazed by the brazenness of some people. In the demonstration garden maintained by our local Master Gardeners, we’ve had problems with plant thieves, too. One lady would frequently come to snip roses for her dinner parties!

23. So sorry to hear about the garden thieves but glad that you got your plant back. I have never had anybody steal garden plants from me but I have had lots of other things stolen from my garden as well as people breaking into my house and my car.

24. I loved your layout this month again Donna. I am shocked about a little whip being stolen from your garden – I have been told that some people insure some shrubs in their gardens and I’m glad that it survived its ordeal. I know there can be thieving done here in the UK aswell but I don’t think it is as widespread as what happens in your cities – it’s more like ornaments such as birdbaths etc that get taken.

(I did some work in hdr toning at the weekend and it turned out ever so painterly – thanks again for your great tips – I really appreciated getting those links)

🙂 Rosie

25. lifeshighway says:

Spectacular entry! I am blown away by the color and the design. Nice, nice job.

26. Kerri says:

Your story of the stolen tree is amazing. So glad the sign worked and you got your traumatized little tree back.
    I enjoyed your interesting post about the autumn leaves as well and was very surprised to see your rose still blooming.
    Yes, we’re about 4 hours east of you, below Utica, and definitely a little colder than your area.
    Thanks for stopping by and saying hello 🙂

27. Gayle Madwin says:

I also had a plant stolen from my front yard once, and oddly enough, it was also one of a newly planted pair. I planted two Datura wrightii shrubs in a single bed next to the sidewalk; a few days later, someone dug one of them up and stole it. I never got it back. But now I know what to do next time someone steals a plant!

28. I am sorry to those readers that got directed to this post. My December GBBD post can be found at https://gardenwalkgardentalk.com/2010/12/15/gbbd-december-magazine/