Gardening Indoors For Christmas

If I was to show my tree on the interiors blogs, I would do the tablescapes and set the dining room table for company. But since I am not having company, mainly because I am encumbered with a Scrooge who does not wish company or any holiday cheer for that matter, I am just decorating for myself and a few friends to keep the holiday somewhat festive. Work is also keeping me from doing up the dining room the way in which I would like.

Here is my tree after adding the ornaments of butterflies and some ribbon bows.

I love these butterflies as some were a gift from a friend and the clear butterflies came from a local garden center. The one below I think came from Target.

I dressed the library in the same manner as the tree, with hydrangea and willow. I added sparkled apples and pears in lime green.

The stainless pail is filled with live holly set in oasis. The swan by the pail is handmade with steel and a large rock. I have four of these and they are in the garden during the summer. The other three are in the library above. A friend of mine makes and sells them.

They make great gifts for gardeners. I could leave them out all winter, but I like to see them all year, so I bring them inside.

The urn has live dracaena spikes from the summer and natural evergreen cuttings. There is lime green live coleus planted in the urn with the spike. I added lime green artificial poinsettia.

The flowers I received are not very Christmasy, in fact it looks like Easter time, huh.ย  I am not really sure why a florist would make an arrangement using these colors and flowers at this time of year.ย  It would be a much prettier arrangement for Spring.

A view to the living room from the dining room.

This entry was posted in Christmas, Christmas Trees, Decor, garden, Holidays, Interior Decorating, Tree Trimming, Trees and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Gardening Indoors For Christmas

1. Garden Sense says:

Glad to see the finished decorating! You’ve gone all out. We’re putting up our tree this evening – it’s getting to look pretty Christmasy here, too. What a happy season with such a wonderful reason to celebrate.

2. So you’re decoration for a few friends…that means we’re all invited, right? That bouquet has supermarket florist written all over it doesn’t it? Well, they say Christ was born in the spring, maybe she was a literalist supermarket florist.

3. Love the butterfly/hydrangea tree!!!! So pretty ๐Ÿ™‚ I like those rock/metal birds, too ๐Ÿ™‚ I just recently saw a rock/metal frog in a catalog that I put on my wish list. Who knows…Christmas is coming ๐Ÿ™‚ Maybe it will show up in my stocking ๐Ÿ™‚ Your home is too pretty not to have a party!!

• That is a lot of smiles in your comment, so that many thanks back. The Scroog is not a party goer. I used to have loads of parties, then he would disappear mid party. I always thought that odd that a host leaves his own party, so I stopped having parties, just small social gatherings now with my friends. Bah Humbug to him.

4. Cat says:

Hi Donna, Your home is so beautifully decorated and warm! I absolutely love the shot of the urn in front of the door – great juxtaposition of the warm interior and lavish arrangement with the cold, naked tree outside. I don’t see how anyone could remain a Scrooge for long surrounded by such festive touches!

5. The holly arrangement in the pail is such a great idea. How long does it last? Carolyn

• Carolyn, it lasts the season if I remember to keep the oasis moist. It has been in the pail now for two weeks and only dropped a few leaves. Holding strong, but I do keep the house cool for the live tree. Since it was fresh cut at the Farm, the needles on it are staying put so far too.

6. Missy says:

It is all so beautiful and charming and elegant – enough to convert the stubbornest Scrooge I would have thought. Christmas really is a special time of year and decorating is part of the fun.

7. Jennifer says:

Beautiful decorations and displays! I am sure they will soon wear down Scrooge’s resistance to holiday cheer!

All of your decorations are tasteful and beautifully done, and your home looks very warm and inviting. My own decorations are pitiful by comparison, and I don’t live with a scrooge. But I do work a lot, and that does put a damper on things, mainly from time constraints. But really the decorations are only an outward expression of the joy that is in the heart. I hope your heart overflows with joy this season, and may Scrooge get soaked in it!. Merry Christmas!

Donna, what a fantastically elegant Christmas display you have, it is truly something to rave about. Martha Stewart should be taking lessons from you. I am in awe, like always!

10. I am simply coveting your rooster. โ™ฅ Love it.

11. Dear Donna – how could Scrooge be so unmoved with all your interior festive decor. Made me smile though but maybe he just wants to spend time with you alone ๐Ÿ˜‰ Some truly gracious ideas you have here – the Dracena urn display is most elegant. I want those butterflies!

Laura

• Thank you Laura. I think he is afraid he may be asked to help in some way. He should know by know I am well trained and do all the work myself. The urn was outside all summer and I cut back the coleus before bringing it inside, but now it is getting big again, I should have waited on the photo. The lime green goes so well with my Christmas decor.

12. Helen says:

Your home is so elegant and festive! You have the gift of design – the way you arrange things makes everything look in order! Kudos to you! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

13. tina says:

Your home is most inviting and lovely. Just elegant is the only word I can use to describe the beautiful tree.

14. Donna

Your home looks so beautifully decorated for Christmas. Oh I love those 2 trees on each side of the fireplace – I would never have thought of doing that. Those hydrangea blossoms make wonderful christmas decorations aswell.