Butterflies, Niagara Falls, Canada

Almost Wordless Wednesday

Butterflies are self-propelled flowers. R. H. Heinlein

More to Come… see Green Apples for flying orange.

This entry was posted in Butterflies, garden, Wordless Wednesday and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Butterflies, Niagara Falls, Canada

1. I never did get over to the butterfly gardens when I visited the falls several years ago. It’s my one regret from the trip.

• It is a nice place and I am showing the facility for Thursday night’s post. I hope you stop back. I know it is not like being there and you are going to see it in the snow, but that is a good juxtaposition to the warmth inside to the cold outside. Warm water falls and cold frozen ones. Bare trees and those lush with leaves. A real study in opposites.

2. One says:

Wow! Those are amazing photos! The butterflies are all different from the ones I see in my garden. I love the colors of the second one and the details of the fourth one.

Do you have to pay to bring the camera in? Over here, there is a charge for bringing cameras into the Butterfly Park.

• I told you I did not get any that I knew would be native, but I still have more to show on Thursday. Maybe I have at least one that you will recognize. But it is better if you get to see some that maybe you did not see before, like the orange Julia on Green Apples.

No, it is free to bring a camera, but my camera did not work at first with the high heat and humidity. Then after it adjusted, it was fine. I was a little disappointed because there were no cocoons. In the summer you see they turning.

3. p3chandan says:

What outstanding colours they have and you captured them amazingly with your camera!

4. Stunning images – how on earth do you manage to capture such fleeting creatures so well? I tried to photograph a ladybird the other day. Dismal failure. I think my challenge for 2011 photography-wise will have to be to learn to take better wildlife photographs.

• Well, I did have a mostly captive audience since they were in the Conservatory. And may were willing participants if you snuck up slowly. I was so stealthy, but those Morphos (bright blue) were difficult to capture in flight or with their wings open. I chased them all over and only got a few usable and somewhat blurry images. As soon as they land, their wings snap shut. I almost resorted to photographing the pinned ones. 😀

I will show me behind the camera chasing them around in a post for Thursday. You will see there was no trick at all to my methods. You could only use a monopod in the conservatory so I could not set up a tripod at the feeders. Then I would have had some good flight images.

• I now have this wonderful image of you prowling around the conservatory like a pith-helmeted Victorian explorer, trying to sneak up on these mobile flowers… Can’t wait to see the “behind the camera” shots to see it for real!!

5. gardeningasylum says:

Those are truly amazing captures! Like Janet, I’ve made a lot of attempts at butterfly pix, without much success…

• Thank you, but stop back Thursday and you will see my images that are not so good of the Morpho. When in Costa Rica they were all over the place. I just wanted one decent image and could only get them with their wings closed.

6. fer says:

Amazing photos! I wish I had more butterflies coming to my garden. Or at least that I had a chance to go see those.

7. I too wish they would visit my yard more often. Many of my neighbors spray, so I and a couple of others are a little island of plants for them, but are adjacent to properties using insecticides.

8. Karin/Southern Meadows says:

Love the butterflies. I think it is lovely to see butterflies that we don’t get in our gardens. You did a wonderful job capturing them. I know how difficult it is to get great shots of them since they are so active!

9. Tufagirl says:

The quote is perfect. I went to the butterfly garden at the San Antonio zoo a couple years ago with a friend of mine and her grandson. It was a magical experience. Thanks for sharing the color on this cold winter day.

Wonderful pictures of the butterflies, Donna. Can’t wait for the next post.

11. Alistair says:

Those are amazing butterflies,(One) charging to take your camera in to the butterfly park, now that is mean.

12. Cat says:

That was deliciously warm and colorful on a cold, dreary day. Thank you! There were butterflies in my yard until two days ago when this frigid air set in…hummingbirds too! Unbelievable. They were all attracted to the pineapple sage – it isn’t going to survive the cold air though…

13. I keep trying to get here and leave a comment, & life has been so freakin’ busy of late–saw your comment and came RIGHT back to answer you. This is just the perfect post for a stormy day (we’re getting pounded here in NS)…flying flowers, indeed. I’ve been to the butterfly house at the Nfld Insectarium, and loved it.

14. lifeshighway says:

Beautiful photos and lovely butterflies, they make me yearn for warm weather.

15. makarimi says:

Wow, there are amazing photos. Really stunning. Some of it I never seen before. Most I like the 2nd once.

16. Gorgeous! We recently went to the butterfly exhibit at the Natural History Museum in New York City – such beautiful creatures! I saw many of the same butterflies you show here. That first photo – I forget the name of the butterfly – but I thought it was so cool how the inside of the wings are blue, but when they are resting, they are brown for camouflage.