Butterfly Conservatory Tag Along

Welcome to the Niagara Parks Butterfly Conservatory

The facility sits on the grounds of the Botanical Gardens in Niagara Falls, Canada

There are over 2000 free flying butterflies representing species from both the New and Old World Tropical Rainforests.

The butterflies are raised on farms in Costa Rica, El Salvador, the Philippines, and Australia and travel thousands of miles as pupae packed in layers of cotton.

They are then hung in the emergence window for visitors to see.

There are holes in the window for the butterflies to escape into the tropical indoor rainforest with lush green trees.

Lucky for them they never get to see what is outside with trees that are bare and snow-covered.

I am not sure of this butterflies’ name.

This is Idea leuconoe or Rice Paper from South East Asia

Morpho peleides Blue Morpho Mexico and Northern South America

Me on the hunt. I could not get a clear image because of the way they fly. They are very jittery. Not much gliding.

We are all on the move and look at them go.

My captive audience, I am waiting for them to take flight.

Danaus chrysippus Plain Tiger, Malaysia (found one One) Africa and Australia

Not sure again.

Dryas iulia Julia Southern US and Neotropics

Heliconius hecale Tiger Longwing Mexico to Peruvian Amezon

There are many more to come so stop in again for GBBD on Saturday and see a few more. My monthly magazine for GBBD is in its fourth edition, has many images and it is free! Keep a look out, I may be doing one this year called What’s Happening in Niagara, which will include my trips and garden walks. It will replace Tag Along Thursday. They are fun to make and easier than a post like today.

This entry was posted in Butterflies, garden, Tag Along Thursday and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Butterfly Conservatory Tag Along

1. Connie says:

BEAUTIFUL!! Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden near here did this last winter in their conservatory. The permitting process with all of the various governmental agencies, I was told, was crippling. The butterflies, since they were all non-natives, had to be carefully controlled and multiple layers of protection were in place to make sure that none of them escaped to the outdoors. I could have stayed in there all day, just watching and enjoying.

• I did not realize, but it makes perfect sense. Even if they escaped, there would be little chance of survival though because of climate and specialized diets of their native fare. I guess they worry if they breed or transmit disease to our native populations of butterflies. This sounds like a good one to research.

2. Donna says:

can’t wait for the first butterfly to find my garden this spring…I think I will journal more closely and see what insects first appear in the garden and when….thx again for this magical journey…I could feel the tropical warmth

3. Cat says:

We went this summer to the Natural History Museum in DC and my favorite exhibit was the butterfly garden. The visit just gave the happiest, lightest of feelings to be surrounded by such beauty and to have such variety flitting about! I can only imagine how delightful the visit must be in the dead of winter. Thanks for taking us along…I look forward to your weekend posts 😉

• This was my first winter visit and I have to say, outside of that I did not see any emerging butterflies, it was so nice because there were no crowds either. I went on the last weekend before they close down for renovation. I will go back in late March to see what is new. I am like you. It does bring such a happy feeling to be surrounded by so much flying color.

4. Layanee says:

Butterflies in January are just pure delight. Can I get some blue ones please?

• I know. I feel like writing to the Costa Rica Butterfly Farm I visited when I was there, and ask them to send up the Morphos. They can fly around he house. Not sure if my houseplants are the right 0nes, but I also visited two huge growers when I was there too. I quickly realized that my plants probably came from this place, or one like, shipped to greenhouses specializing and permitted in exotics. I kept seeing plants like mine growing big and wild all over the mountain where my research was being conducted. This was hummingbird heaven too.

5. Glad you could stay warm on this outing. 🙂 Butterfly gardens are my favorite, between their lush surroundings and the beautiful butterflies, who could ask for more.

6. One says:

Oh! I always enjoy looking at butterflies. Actually butterflies also remind me of Carol. She takes the effort of rescuing butterflies. I’m sure she would love this post too.

That Plain Tiger Butterfly was in my garden. How did it get that far away?

• I knew I found one. They have so many at the Conservatory, but the ones listed for your area were hard to find. There were not many. Plus with the renovation going on in January and February, I am betting all the butterflies will be gone. When I go back in late March or April, I will find the others too.

7. Love to see photos of things warm and colorful right now and great to find out about all the wonderful places to visit in your area. I assume you have to go through customs to go to Canadian Niagara. What’s that like? We have a permanent exhibit called Butterflies at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia (for any locals wanting a butterfly fix), and my oldest son and I volunteered in it for four years. It was really fun.

• We just drive up to the window with passports or enhanced license. Since I live right over the bridge, all the custom people look at us like locals. Just a couple questions and I am on my way.

I have been to the Academy in Philly. It was not to far from my home there, 45 minutes or so. Philly has some of the best exhibits and places to go. So much history too. I was a docent at our zoo here for a short time. That really is a rewarding experience.

8. Lovely pictures – Don’t you just hate it when the lens mists – I jhave tried shooting in a butterfly garden and I admire your patience

9. I love butterfly conservatories and that one looks huge! I once had a blue morpho sit on my arm for over 20 minutes (it was drinking my sweat… which is gross but fascinating).

• My husband went along on the trip and a Morpho landed on his shoulder. They traveled around together for some time. I did get a photo, but it would not leave so I could get it with opened wings. I just gave up.

The beautiful butterflies from the tropics are a delightful contrast to the cold, snowy world outside! What a thrill it must be to see these creatures up close.

• It is nice because they are more at ease with people. Some fly away when you try to get a picture, but many, like the zebra ones, just sat there. Good for me since I am not at ease with my digital. I really should have took the Nikon F2 with my 600 lens. I would not have to be so close to them.

11. What a wonderful world for those butterflies, and for folks to enjoy them! It was quite a contrast to see the real outdoors compared to the butterfly habitat.

12. Hello! I posted my suet recipe on my blog for you!