Pooch in the Petunias? – Process of Design

Sixth in the Series – Process of Design

Do you have problems with the pooch in the petunias? Well, a few design tips will keep your pet safely secured in your backyard and a simple change of elevation may keep the romping rover from smashing the Sweet William and Impatiens.

This is a serious post, but you have to admit those pesky pets do cause trouble. From digging, jumping, chewing, eating to plowing over the plants. So stay with me for how my garden accommodated large dogs and made a home for beautiful plants. Click each page to see larger.

Process of Design

The next step is the Working Drawings, but I will only have a few words on that. They are technical drawings. Next, I will show the plants in the garden and talk about the Color Within using photos. Plus a section on the Maturing Garden. Not as pretty, but what everyone has in the beginning.

The next post will start the series, Hey, What’s That Tree? with a trip to the tree farm. Do you ever stand in front of a tree and looked perplexed? I do with so many to choose from, and so many new on the market. I will pass along clues to use to tell trees apart.

This entry was posted in Animals, Design, garden, Key Elements of Design, My Designs, Small Garden Landscaping, Urban Landscaping and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Pooch in the Petunias? – Process of Design

1. Great post! I have already noticed that my puppies have preferred routes that they use throughout the yard. However, they do love to dig and I have already lost some plants from their chewing and pulling. Training is in progress…

2. Just one of the many reason I don’t have any dogs. Or cats, although they visit and terrorise the birds at times. I prefer hedgehogs, much more garden friendly!

3. This is a very timely post for me. We recently acquired a terrier puppy and I am in the process of redesigning our garden. I’ve already noticed that she has various routes around the garden, and so incorporating them within planting and landscaping makes great sense – hadn’t really thought of it, but I can see that this will limit the degree to which we clash over garden use! Thanks for commenting on my blog, so nice to hear from visitors!

4. gardeningasylum says:

How considerate of your Samoyed to find the gravel – I’ve one female who happily prefers the woods, but when weather is unpleasant, the grass gets it! The invisible fence is set so no dogs are allowed in the sunny front yard, which works well for everyone 🙂

5. One says:

I just lost another petunia. Previously I had a healthy growing cestrum at the same spot. They all disappeared. I guess they were all planted at their preferred route. But that spot is where I want to grow those white and purple flowers. That reminds me, even the hardy purple torenia is gone too. No wonder I am left with lots of red and yellow. Need to allocate a different white spot. Clifford’s favorite plant is the lemon grass.

6. tina says:

Awesome post on gardening with dogs. I may have to resort to your tip of placing sharp gravel around the edges of my fence. I never thought of that many years ago when we first moved here and instead placed landscape timbers. They’ve worked but are now rotting. The gravel would be perfect though!

7. Marguerite says:

Fantastic post Donna. I don’t have dogs but have used some of the same ideas with my indoor cats. Essentially figure out what their habits are and work with them instead of against them. It saves a lot of energy on everyone’s part. I’ve often wondered if catmint had the same effect as catnip and now I know. Probably best not to plant it as I’d have every feral cat in the neighbourhood on my doorstep!

8. Cat says:

Oh yes, I live this…just yesterday I watched my dog take a new route (winter route as the other foliage has died back) to trample my sprouting poppies! It was my first try with the poppies and I didn’t recall that Blitz likes that route when the foliage dies back…my bad!

9. I am so glad no one in my family wants a dog. My two cats are invaluable to the garden because they eat the squirrels, chipmunks, moles, voles, and rabbits. If only my big male could bring down a deer. By the way, the only cats that spray are unfixed males, which are usually strays.

10. patty says:

Great ideas for pet owners and designers too. I had thought of planting catmint for my cat but now that you mention it may lure other neighborhood cats I am rethinking this.

11. lifeshighway says:

It never occurred to me to teach a dog to pee on pavers or concrete for that matter. Great post as usual. You really should publish.

12. makarimi says:

Awesome post. Last time I also plant petunias, then after a while, all gone. It’s hard to me to keep them survive in my garden, may be the weather not so good for me to plant this petunias.

13. Great post Donna, I think people often forget about the pooch factor, until AFTER they dig up the yard. Although I can’t imagine that sweet pooch in the first shot being bad. Too adorable. We have strict rules around here about dogs with a penchant for digging their own planting holes 😉 Thanks for including the part on plant toxicities too, so important. The ASPCA has some excellent lists of plants to avoid online for gardeners.

14. Very informative, as usual! :o) My dogs killed an area of grass by constantly peeing there and then decided to cooperatively dig a big hole in the same spot. Ugh! I’ll be filling the hole with soil this summer, removing the dead grass and planting sod. I’d rather use your gravel idea but am working with a slight slope. I also incorporated an Invisible Fence to keep the dogs from digging up my garden. I agree with Life’s Highway that you should be a published author!!