Hey, What About Us?

We’re Taking You Down, Cardinals

We have a bone to pick with you. You cardinals are always getting all the press. Sure, you  are pretty, but do you have street smarts? I don’t think so. Sparrows are first at the feeders and we come en mass.  We are here to take you on.

You can probably tell we don’t think much of those pretty birds. We can muscle them out of the food like nobodies business. We hold degrees in food hogging.

Here is a couple of our best contenders. Look at the food they are stuffing in at record pace.

And we are not going to stand for it anymore. Come on big red birds, we are ready for a pecking match.

And if you think we stand alone, we have our buds, the Tufted Titmouse and Chickadees.

We might be old and gray, but have more experience at the feeders than you. You can’t even perch on them. Bet we can fly rings around you too.

A photo-op here and there is OK but you sure get center stage here on GWGT.

Just take a moment and think how we were willing to work the feeders together, us flinging seed down for you. But then you fly in and try to muscle us out just because you are bigger. But we have numbers and a small army to boot.

And we are darn cute too. And don’t even think of talking to the squirrels, they’ve got our backs. They are coming up on Friday here at GWGT.

Just stand on the sidelines, out of focus, you camera hounds. We’ve got Squirrel patrol.

And fly on over to Green Apples. There is a plea to Mother Nature on our behalf too.

This entry was posted in Birds, Cardinals, Niagara Falls, Winter. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Hey, What About Us?

• I know. I can not possibly show you how funny seeing them really is, with them bickering and squawking. No one feeds them in the woods, so this was new for them. When they go near the falls, sometimes people bring seed. But not where I am.

1. One says:

You are right! They are darn cute!!! What amazing shots especially the last one with 3 birds and a squirrel.

2. They are all adorable! I do love the tufted titmouse and chickadees! Your black squirrel is really pretty. I only ever see gray ones in my garden.

3. Carolyn♥ says:

All adoraable is right, but there’s just something abut those cardinals that tickles my eye. Probably due to the fact that those sweet birds don’t live in my region of the world. And a black squirrel? Never here. But oh so stunning!

4. Donna says:

such cute pics…wish I could get close enough for shots like this…I love bird expressions…and that black squirrel…what a great pic…as always a wonderful post Donna…I needed the laugh today…more snow on the way…Mother Nature is not listening to us…she is saying all in due time!!

• Only at this one place can I get so close. The one sparrow pic with him standing tall, was right at my feet. With my 300 lens U could not focus that close, but had to get his photo. It was like he was trying to tell me something.

5. Hanni says:

hahaha! I love all your photos – they are great. And I was all excited to finally see a cardinal decide to show up in my garden yesterday. 🙂 I do love the little chickadees too though!

• Cardinals here are all over the place here. When I had a crabapple, there were 16 of them in the one tree. It was right outside my office window. I was so amazed to see them in numbers like that. I often see blue jays come to my pear tree with about 8 to 10 of them, but usually cardinals are wary birds. The winter takes a toll on them looking for food I guess. My spot at the Falls has so many pairs.

6. Laurrie says:

Angry Birds! You could make a game app out of that … oh wait, there already is one. I like your angry birds much better. So funny!

7. lifeshighway says:

too funny, Ok what kind of lens do you use. Your pictures are amazing. And as I am gushing, are black squirrels common up there? I have never seen one. They are quite pretty in a greedy little squirrel way.

8. Angela says:

Hilarious! And adorable 🙂
    I really love that last picture. That male cardinal looks like he means business.

9. Holley says:

Great pictures! I could look at picture #6 all day. So detailed. Wonderful photography.

10. I can still remember what cardinals sound like, though. I miss them. I heard that a couple was sighted here in the town next over with a University for a couple of years. Story goes a student from the east missed seeing them here so he caught a nesting pair and introduced them here. If it’s true, that was a really bad thing for him to do, but it doesn’t look like there’s a whole lot of cardinals here now, so maybe it didn’t take. I can understand the feeling behind it though.
    Personally, I love juncos and chicadees, so thanks for including the latter. Titmouses—Titmice?—are cute.

11. Christine says:

Oh my – I have never seen a black squirrel before! How adorable. And what beautiful photographs!

12. p3chandan says:

Cute and hillarious bird acts! Nice story line!…Lovely birds too! Great photographer!

13. lol, Donna great photos and nice dialogue, the only time I ever saw black squirrels was BC Canada, I loved them, thanks for the info I didn’t know they were a mutation of the grey ~ which has pushed our native red squirrel out of most of Britain, as I’ve never seen a bird as colourful as the Cardinals in the real they have an unreal quality to me, I prefer the other birds you show especially the tufted titmouse, so sweet, Frances

14. Cat says:

So funny – they are wonderful entertainment while the plants sleep!

15. Malinda says:

Oh my gosh – what great pictures. I love all the different colors of the last picture – everyone is enjoying their dinner!

16. I love the photo of the black squirrel with the birds! Priceless! And the chickadees are so cute!

17. Elaine says:

What gorgeous photos and subjects!

You definitely have a way of capturing the best side of any subject you choose to photograph, Donna. The birds are all adorable; they never fail to amaze me; how something so tiny can pull through a n0rthern winter is quite the feat. Your blog is just a treasure, I love to visit and am always enriched!

19. Donna, I want a squirrel in an elegant sable coat instead of a threadbare gray one. Can you bring me one when you visit? Carolyn

20. Dear Donna, Brilliant pictures and dialogue. I am still laughing! P x

21. Well, sparrows, I’ve heard that some folks brought you here from England or somewhere, and you have had some bad behavior here in the states, but your relatives get the same treatment as other birds at my feeders. Some of my feeders have safflower seeds, which you aren’t supposed to like as well, but I have seen your relatives on them anyway. Yes, and they are the first to arrive when I scatter seeds on the sidewalk. They don’t seem to mind when an occasional cardinal or blue jay comes, though. They share nicely with the juncos and squirrels, too, as far as I can tell. Donna got some great photos of you!

22. lula says:

This is so lovely! My favourite is the squirrelpatrol image. How could you get that great red on the bird on the left? Great!