Going Squirrelly

You gotta love that face! Come on, give me a smile.

Or how about this one? Hold it there, partner.

Four score and seven years ago…

The black squirrels are really a subgroup of grey squirrels. They are a melanistic version of the eastern grey. I have had more people ask me to capture them and send them to where they live.

It is believed they can better withstand the cold in our area. But I never tried to capture one, but for some reason, they seem more friendly and less wary of humans. Maybe they know they are prettier.

Out of all the squirrels in the US and Canada it is believed that only one in ten thousand is black. These two greys can have black brothers and sisters.

This entry was posted in Animals, garden, photography, Squirrels, Winter and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Going Squirrelly

1. One says:

My daughter just came by to the screen and said, “Hey, wait! That’s cute!!!” She is an animal lover and your captivating shots has caught her attention and made her smile.

I salute you for taking the effort to take such wonderful photos in the cold.

2. Black or polka-dotted, it’s still a rat with a bushy tail that tries to steal my lunch sack of the park bench as far as I’m concerned.

3. so cute, Donna, but I have to say that at my house they are called “tree rats” for all of the damage they do. We have red and grey squirrels. I liked the black ones. Pretty.

4. I love squirrels and the rarely bother my garden. They keep my dogs busy and I don’t mind feeding them. A crazy squirrel at a feeder is better than most TV. :o) Great pix!

5. Catherine says:

I’ve never seen or heard of a black one. We just get the grey ones here, in fact I saw one tromping along through the snow today. They seem to have been in hiding this week. That first picture is too cute.

6. Kathleen says:

Great photos. Even people that don’t like squirrels would have to admit that. I’ve never seen a black squirrel either. They’re very striking. We have red squirrels but I only get one or two at a time in my garden and because they aren’t frequent visitors they don’t cause any problems. Hope you have a great weekend!

7. Christine says:

Well, other people may not like them and call them tree rats etc., but I love them and your photographs are fantastic!

8. Sam Squirrel. says:

Oh, c’mon Susan, you’ve gotta admit we’re cute, & smart too.
    Thank you Ms. Photographer for featuring my relatives. I must let you all into a wickel secret though. Black squirrels are the descendants of slave squirrels from the southern states who escaped to the north via the underground railway at the time of the civil war. Notalotta folks know that. Yeeeeeaaaaah for Squirreldom !!
    Y’all have a nice day, y’hear.
    Sam. XX

9. Your black squirrels are very cute, but as a relative of the grey which has over run our own very beautiful native red squirrel, I refuse to be taken in by a cute face 😉

10. Cat says:

Cute…the contrast against whatever the black squirrel is against is striking!

11. Lesley says:

Black squirrels? I had no idea! Love that first photo, btw.

12. Shannon says:

I didn’t know the black squirrels were just a different flavor of grey. They are very pretty, so long as they aren’t digging up my tulips!

13. Marguerite says:

What sweet looking faces. I was always told that black and grey squirrels were invasive, taking up the nesting places of the smaller red squirrels. But then that was on the west coast which might be very different. Are there red squirrels on the east coast?

14. Jack says:

Love the photos. I had my first squirrel here this past summer. There are some south of my garden, but this summer the first appeared here. It was a mean Red Squirrel! We have Black, Grey, and White squirrels in the area. In my gardens, not enough trees, which is OK by me! the gardens are located along the shores of Lake Michigan, really beautiful place with lots of near conservation areas. You may like the comparison of gardens. Check out the place at gardensatwaterseast.blogspot.com/ Jack

15. I’m glad I made it here for this post. I love your photos! Is the squirrel in the first photo really lying down in the snow like it appears to be? I have a complicated relationship with the squirrels around here. I resisted the idea of feeding them, but let my husband start doing it a few years ago in hopes they’d leave the bird feeders alone. If there are sunflower seeds involved, they will still do whatever they can to get to them. They have quite a nice buffet these days.

There are a few black ones in town. I didn’t know that they were a kind of gray squirrel. Thanks for the information.

16. patty says:

We have both the black and grey squirrels in abundance. Our garden is also fortunate to be the home of a pair of red squirrels. I like them the best. They can be noisy and aggressive when protecting their nest. They move really quickly and are extremely acrobatic. I love watching them chase the others squirrels away from their nest area, nattering all the way. I have been the butt of their jokes, a walnut or two has been directly aimed at me. I’d love to get a photo of one or both of them but they move much too fast for me to get a clear shot.

17. Thank you everyone for all your squirrel stories. And from a guy named Squirrel. I have seen Red Squirrels, but never too many of them. They are distributed across Canada from my understanding. Many parts of the US have them too. I never saw a white squirrel though. Now that would be a really pretty squirrel. Sue, the squirrel in the top photo is standing up, but now that you mention it, it does look like it is laying down.

18. I was visiting with a friend from church this morning, and mentioned seeing a robin, which gives me hope for spring being on its way. She said the squirrels in her neighborhood have been quite active, and some of them are black. Isn’t it cool when you learn something new, and are able to share that information with another? She didn’t know that black squirrels were mutations of gray ones. She said they seem to be smaller and chase the other squirrels.

19. Donna says:

I have a love hate relationship with squirrels…if they leave my garden alone then they are cute and I love them..if they mess with the yard then watch out…we had monster squirrels at the old house and they were garden wreckers…I love seeing black squirrels and then there are red ones too but they can be nasty…these guys are very cute though!!

Buck up we are getting a melt…slow it may be it is melting

20. Les says:

I watched my neighbor collect one out of a trap yesterday. Seems they like living in his house, or rather in his walls better than some old leafy nest. He will release it elsewhere, some nice place in the country.

21. Outstanding photos Donna! I think it is fascinating that the black squirrel is a subspecies of the gray. I learn something new everyday!

22. Hello from Spring, TX.
    Those are just gorgeous pictures that you were able to take from your squirrels. I never have had a chance to see a black squirrel around here.
    I just love having squirrels in my backyard. I know, they can be a pain but if they weren’t around, my backyard would not be complete. Every year I have squirrels nesting in one of my big birdhouses and they give me hours of joy and really good laughs sometimes watching momma squirrel teaching the young ones. It even seems our dog and the squirrels are becoming friends now.
    Our dog isn’t trying to chase them really hard anymore and the squirrels aren’t in too much of a hurry jumping up on the tree where they are safe when Brownie is around.
    Sometimes they even eat the seeds that fell from the bird feeders to the ground no more than 8 or 10 feet away from where our dog is laying on the patio.
    Thanks for sharing those really great shots.
    Best Regards
    Paula Jo

23. wiseacre says:

dog has chased my squirrels away. Pookey would have fits when they dared to set foot on her ground. I know now how the expression ‘barking up the wrong tree’ came from.

I’ve caught glimpses of black squirrels but haven’t managed to photograph one yet.