Not Your Grannies Orchids Pt.1

Hot to Trot

Sultry

These orchids are at the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens….

Flirty

in the Orchid House.

Alluring

House 8 is a favorite for visitors and members alike.

Sensuous

Varieties include exotic cymbidiums, dendrobiums, cattleyas, and many unusual species.

Titillating

The Orchid Shows are in late February and mid October.

Sumptuous

Color and form are rarely matched in the flower world. And why you might ask do I describe them this way?

Seductive

Orchids are a pollinators dream, or NOT…. and Michael Pollan in an article in National Geographic stated, ” Orchids are manipulative, self-centered, wily and sometimes downright sadistic. And yet insects and humans alike are ensnared β€” perhaps for those very reasons β€” by their ethereal beauty. Unlike most flowers, orchids require the help of insects and birds and pollinate. And so they have adapted, in some cases, to both look and smell like their pollinator’s female counterparts. You can imagine how supremely frustrating this must be for a male insect, and how smug the orchid must feel – that is, how it would feel if it were sentient.

Tease

Every one of these flowers has a relationship with the insect that pollinates it where once the insect finds it, let the lovemaking begin.

Luscious

I love visiting and as a member, I can go as often as I want to visit orchids that I do not have the conditions in which to grow. But, the pollinators are not in the Orchid House and that is left to the humans.

Desirable

And my hot little numbers…

I am still waiting for my white Phals to really start blooming. This is one ready to open, shown blooming last year.

Below, the Orchid above, getting ready to bloom on one of the shorter spikes.

Princess Lightening below March 4, 2011.

Mele Star, a Paphiopedilum, still blooming after four months taken March 4, 2011. Now she is a real diva.

No, I do not have the fancy ones like they have at the Botanical gardens, but mine have lived for a while with me and bloom each year. Stay tuned for part two. I do have two more blooming you will see, plus more from the Botanical Gardens.

This entry was posted in Botanical Gardens, Orchids. Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Not Your Grannies Orchids Pt.1

1. Donna says:

Orchids are stunning and these are breathtaking…I have never ventured to grow them…might try one…

2. I love them all! They are such a diverse plant with so many blooms that range in intense colors to funky shapes. Great photos!

3. I was given an orchid for Christmas and all the original flowers are still beautiful and pristine—amazing. Love the orange.

4. Hanni says:

I’ve eyed orchids at the store before, but haven’t had enough courage to bring one home! These are stunning. πŸ™‚

5. Wow-beautiful! Each one so unique in its own way.

6. Marguerite says:

I’m always amazed at all the many variations there are in orchids. Such an intriguing plant.

7. Lovely photos! Orchids are one of the most highly evolved plants. I am not so sure about putting all this cunning onto plants . . . Michael is so right on in many ways but these human traits do not belong to flowers. Or so I feel. I imagine they can feel too. (In fact there has been proof of it.) It is simply a matter of survival – they offer an enticement and reward to any visitors. There is such a variety of give and take in nature. Having said all of this . . . I confess to all being simply my opinions. With exception to the hidden perceptions or feelings of plants. I would reveal more, but do not want to giveaway too much of a post I am working on. I completely understand what you mean about regarding our own plants . . . that we have known and nurtured for years . . . as very special no matter the competition.

• Well, some being was cunning! It is amazing what nature comes up with for solutions to problems and the evolution to survival, betterment and competition. He did say at the end ‘if it were sentient’. I am guilty of this, but it is just my sense of creativity and silliness. I thought his descriptions funny and wished I thought of it first.

8. Tony says:

Hi Donna,
    Love all these orchids pics, but my favorite is the first one love the blue color. I have one orchid that re bloomed, which I didn’t think I could do since I never had one.
    Tony

9. jenny says:

Simply gorgeous blooms and such incredible variety. How uplifting on a winter day.

10. Dear Donna, I did a double take, literally, scrolling slowly through your photographs a second time … breathtaking! This is an area I know nothing about, having never grown orchids. Stunning post. P x

• Orchids are captivating. I stand and stare at the detail when I am at the Botanical Gardens. It is so amazing the color and patterning, plus the outrageous forms. I would love to set up my easel and paint, but I doubt they would appreciate it.

11. Oh my, what fantastic orchid photos! I’ve only ever grown Phalaenopsis orchids…badly I might add. I can usually keep them alive through bloom, but have never successfully kept one long enough for it to bloom again. Sometimes it’s been lighting issues, other times over or under watering. One of the few occasions where my thumbs are more brown than green, but I do love and appreciate the variety in color and form of all of the orchids. Perhaps, once it’s installed, our greenhouse will help me improve my orchid cultivation skills.

12. One says:

Stunning photos, Donna. Did you edit to get a black back ground for the last 2 photos? It shows sharp contrast. Anyway all your photos pop regardless of the back ground colors.

• No I did not change the background. I took the shots in my office in front of black bookcases with navy storage bins. The depth of field gave the black background as it all blended as one tone. The shot of the bud was just right of the other two and got in the glare off the glass of one of my paintings.

13. Shannon says:

I’m always tempted by the orchids I see for sale, but I think I’ll leave that aspect of gardening to the experts. I’m a notorious murderer of houseplants. Those orchids are so beautiful, my neglect wouldn’t do them justice!

• They are really easy to grow if you can have them in a location for proper light and temperature. They don’t need direct sun, so they are well suited in the house. Over watering is what people do most often and that will kill them. So many bloggers grow orchids and are experts. I am just a fancier that seems to have good luck with them.

14. Cat says:

Beautiful! They must bring you great joy with their rich color and variety!

15. Autumn Belle says:

The orchids are really gorgeous! Your photos have managed to bring out the true beauty of these exquisitely lovely blooms. Cheers!

16. Catherine says:

They’re all so pretty and so different from each other. I’m another one that hasn’t tried growing orchids before. I’m so forgetful of my indoor plants. Looking forward to part 2.

17. Mary Ellen says:

Beautifull photos!!!!!! I received an orchid for Christmas-it’s now re-budding and hopefully will blossom again soon. Love the Blue orchids-stunning!!!!!!!

18. Bom says:

Donna, those are really gorgeous orchids. I’m almost tempted to get some of my own.

19. Masha says:

What beautiful orchids! I don’t think I have seen anything so spectacular in quite a while. I am a bit scared of orchids myself, I tried growing cattleys twice and they died, twice… Oh well, I am glad I can enjoy them vicariously here.

20. p3chandan says:

Gorgeous colour and blooms. Your photos showcased their true forms and colours beautifully!!

21. Bonnie says:

One of these days I will purchase an orchid to grow in my house. My grandfather used to grow them in his greenhouse and every Easter, we all were adorned with his orchid corsages.