Waiting

Thoughts Whilst Waiting

One good thing about being patient, you get a lot of time to think. Waiting has a tendency to open your mind to possibility. It has the ability to let you explore option.

Patience is a virtue, but waiting can be a vice; because waiting is not doing. It all depends on your perspective and what you do whilst waiting.

The icicles hang from a branch this March only as long as Mother Nature allows. So no point in waiting. They will be gone in good time.

You shiver as you are greeted by the wind and the sharp cold in the air, a sure sign winter is reluctant to relent. Waiting becomes a greater part of our days as gardeners in areas gripped by cold. Patience is tested.

We choose to engage in tasks that are themselves inherent a sign of further waiting. We pick up debris, we inspect the plants, we fill the bird feeders, we do so many tasks that are not really of great importance at this particular time. All in the name of waiting.

Any reason to hurry the season along, losing patience at each whirl of the winds.

We go outside to photograph buds on trees and shoots coming up through the soil. But this is just testament to more and more waiting.

Interesting images, not so much, but it makes us think of the possibilities of Spring. To make our waiting seem useful and almost glamorous, capturing fragments of light and the mere modicum of color.

Any day that brings a touch of warmth is a sign of possibility and hope, of renewal and beauty.

But is it not a mere illusion of Spring when the winter storms come back in a fury? Telling us we must just wait some more. The calendar reinforces the futility of waiting. The futility of wishing for a quick Spring. It comes when it comes.

How can I lose sight of the beauty that the snow brings, the cleansing and the needed moisture? It is testing my patience, waiting for the first sight of green grass to appear. Even if it is only a few square feet in a sea of white. All in good time.

You can hear the birds chirping and Spring does not seem so far off a wait. Chirping means activity. And the waiting begins in earnest.

And I wait and wait, camera in hand, for a woodpecker to show at the feeder. They are there often, but not when I am there waiting, swinging in the wind like they are riding a carnival ride. They grip as the wind whips them around in circles, the heavier bird throwing off the balance, bringing the suet closer.

Waiting for 25 minutes, looking through the snow splotched window, got me a poor shot of the woodpecker, and he was quick to leave. And so I was through waiting. Through thinking and philosophizing about waiting.

And the thing about unconstructive waiting, one moment blurs into the next. Time is lost and worse, time is often not thought about in the throws of waiting.

How much of life is lost in waiting?

And why was I waiting when I can get perfectly good images of woodpeckers in the forest with no waiting? Because a friend of mine was so nice to give me the suet holder for the resident woodpeckers, that I had to get a shot of one on the feeder. All the while thinking about waiting.

This entry was posted in Animals, Birds, Thoughts and Observations, Winter and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Waiting

1. Just as I opened this post, my four-year-old daughter bounced in the room and exclaimed, “I love this world!”

“Why honey?” I said.

“Because it is so beautiful!” she says as she points to the first woodpecker photo.

I could give no bigger complement than this. I am new to Blotanical and so this was my first visit here.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Julie

2. Marguerite says:

Donna, there are so many kinds of waiting isn’t there? patiently or impatiently. contemplative, hurried. I like to think of waiting as necessary. We need moments of inactivity in our lives as much as active ones. A lovely post.

3. Christine says:

I don’t know how you do it but a visit to your blog is a daily highlight! This time you’ve make my least favourite pasttime – waiting – seem like something worth doing ๐Ÿ™‚
    Beautiful photographs, lovely words.

4. lula says:

Donna, It is difficult indeed to train patience when one needs the touch of spring, but it eventually arrives and then there is the happiness, that’s my hope theses days!, Lula

5. That’s actually the sort of waiting I don’t mind, if only because it’s an excuse for a moment to slow down. It’s waiting for Spring to arrive in earnest that has me toe-tapping impatiently at the moment! ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. TufaGirl says:

One thing or another in my life for the last 2 years has had me in the waiting mode. “It’s like having one foot nailed to the floor,” as a friend of mine put it. At long last all is done, completed, moved on and now it is spring. I never was a patient one but it is something I have accomplished now also.

7. One says:

While waiting for my computer to boot up, I hang up the laundry. While waiting for my kids to get dressed, I wash the dishes. There are so much that I want to do, like redesigning my garden and attempting to improve in my photography skills. Both seem overwhelming, but not dreary. It has never been. I guess having 2 kids, 3 dogs and one fish with daily sunshine leaves me no reason to wait. I am either very fortunate or easily contented.

8. Ginny says:

I LOVE photos of budding branches – they make my heart swell.

9. p3chandan says:

Donna, I guess after a long cold winter months, understanbly your patience is running out when you see postings of other gardens elsewhere turning to spring! You are so right when you said we waste a lot of time waiting for this and that for things to happen in our lives. Its just beyond our control sometimes! Im waiting for my first grandchild…another 2 months! Happy waiting!

10. I know many of us wait each day to see what you will post next because it is always full of great information and beautiful pictures!! Glad you took the time to wait to get these shots!

Thank you, Donna, for another great post. Waiting time is not necessarily wasted time, is it, even though it feels like it once in awhile. I know just what you mean about watching for any signs of color outside, it’s such a joy to see something, anything! alive and growing. We’ve had another small snowstorm today, but I think it won’t last too much longer. Another month and we should be sort of defrosted.

Your photos are always a treat. The woodpecker in flight is awesome.

12. Soren says:

It’s funny how there seems to be a pack of entries about the same basic topic (inaction), but with different terminologies. You write about waiting, I wrote about idleness, and I don’t recall where I recently read about patience.

I like to see how other people think – or at least express their thoughts – about some of the same stuff I occasionally ponder on at length; you entry gave me a new prism through which I can observe my gardening inaction during winter.

13. So many different kinds of waiting. What struck me is that the waiting always seems hardest when you believe it is nearly over. When you know it is Winter you can settle in and enjoy what Winter has to offer. You have done that so beautifully, showing the snow-covered landscapes that you love, the wildlife that looks so vibrant against the white backdrop. Now, as the waiting is nearly over, it must be hard to wait with patience. When I decide I am ready for the next thing, but that next thing is not quite there, that is when waiting becomes stressful for me. I have to find a way to return to enjoying the now, even embracing the tension, the “nearly but not yet”. Thought provoking post to start the day with!

14. Donna says:

at least we can wait together ….I know I have so much to do as I wait but I would rather be outside doing something else….so I am resigned to doing that which must be done inside…once it is done my waiting will be over and I will be outside…here’s to a spring that will be filled with warmth and no late snow…

15. Sunita says:

Such beautiful photographs! And i love those photos of icicles because I’m hurtling towards summer in India. This time next month I’ll be broiling in the heat and fighting for shade in our 38*C oven of a city and dreaming of lands which are still frozen. That’s one wait I can do without. I so much prefer yours.

16. gardeningasylum says:

I used to hate waiting for spring, but now I’m okay with the seasonal pause, knowing how overwhelmed with must-do garden chores I will soon be. Love that you were able to get your woodpecker images, while waiting for something else…

17. Laurrie says:

Since I retired and my kids are now grown, waiting is much more rewarding for me. At this stage of my life I can wait easily and quite serenely. But this winter…. this tardy spring….. those icicles…. I am being tested. I do love your icicle photos, though!

18. Masha says:

Still, as you are waiting in the cold, it may be comforting to know that spring will win in the end. I loved your pictures of icicles and birds.

19. Well spring is here in southeastern PA, your old stomping grounds. Today we wait for torrential rains with a possible 3″ total and all the rivers reaching flood stage. It’s already knocking down my snow crocus buds and snowdrops. However, the hellebores are coming along beautifully and will remain so.

20. dona says:

Icicles photos are really wonderful.
    Nowadays patience is a virtue, and you’ve to be patient if you want to be a good gardener.

21. lifeshighway says:

Very thoughtful, Donna. I am not good at waiting in any of my endeavors. You are right, of course, being patient can bring its own rewards.

22. Bom says:

I don’t mind the occasional wait when it comes as a respite. On the whole though, I am a very impatient person. I don’t thing I would have lasted waiting for a woodpecker for 10 minutes, much less your 25.

23. Waiting seems to be the theme of the week. ๐Ÿ˜‰ This is such a sweet reminder to live in the moment, and your photography — all of it — is spectacular as always!

24. Lovely Donna! It is good to point out the importance of how we wait. We are all waiting for much of the time. I am most grateful I do not have to wait in traffic. I wish I did not have to wait so long for Blotanical to download! I do await spring’s return as you and love seeing your bud photos! Sometimes it is good to wait . . . to delay an action or word. Patience and imagination are good to cultivate while waiting. Great post in making us think about waiting and what me might be waiting for. Perhaps we should all be in the moment more . . . for whatever it is . . . and not consider it wasted in waiting. ;>)

25. Holley says:

Lovely post. Beautiful words. A great reminder to live for today, not for tomorrow.

26. Cynthia says:

I think your waiting is quite glamorous. Icicles! How exotic!

27. I’m right there with you in your sentiments. Your photos are beautiful! I actually love the icicles on the poor plant.

28. patty says:

I am used to waiting. Some of it I don’t mind, some of it I do. Fortunately I am a patient person. I smiled at the photos of the grass and garden bed now uncovered from the snow. It looks like that at my house too. Lots of rain lately….

29. Donna a lovely post. I guess I’ve learned in my years of living… with eight children, I’ve done a good deal of waiting… that time is not waisted unless you allow it to be. It seems you waited wisely by dreaming up a wonderful post that so many have enjoyed. Kudos!