Give Us Some Red

These are pages of the Niagara Falls Garden magazine that is presented for each Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day on the 15th of each month. I am making a larger issue this month and have broken it up by pages in two editions. The next will appear as a Sunday Preview Edition. This is a part of the GBBD edition, a section called ….

This entry was posted in Botanical Gardens, Cardinals, COLOR, Did U Know, FLOWERS, garden, Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, GBBD, Greenhouse, GWGT Garden Magazine, My Creative Posts, Niagara Falls Garden Magazine, photography and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Give Us Some Red

1. Oh that is some lovely red! Usually red isn’t my favorite color (funny coming from a redhead but it clashes too much) but I can very much appreciate it in the garden. Looking forward to seeing what gorgeousness is in the rest of the magazine!

2. lifeshighway says:

Oh, this may be my favorite addition of your magazine yet. Love THE RED. The blooms are beautiful. As always your work is a delight to the eye.

3. One says:

That red head is really good looking. Your magazine is just awesome.

Chinese loves red. You see red packets inserted with money given to all the children during such Chinese New Year. All the decorations are in red too including the fire crackers. Red flowers are popular with the Chinese. Red is the right color to wear during festive seasons and celebrations. I tend to break the rule and wore black for my wedding dinner. Red has an auspicious connotation.

• Thank you so much for adding to my touch of red. When I studied color theory and was in architecture school, it was important to learn the meanings of color from around the world. We just had to be sensitive to it in design. When I did illustrating for advertising so long ago, same thing. Color was important to promote sales and what it said about what was being sold.

Donna, what a feast for the eyes—I love red! Your pictures are so stunning, especially the cardinal, such a fantastic closeup shot.

I enjoyed reading about what red means in different cultures.

5. Oooh, I feel all energised! I do love a splash of red in the garden.

6. Enjoyed your red post! I absolutely love red in my garden. I have quite a few shrubs that have red blooms. Your photos are beautiful! It woke me up this morning.

7. Laurrie says:

I can not resist red, and when I order plants for spring, I have to stop myself from ordering nothing but red flowering things… lobelia cardinalis, a pretty red rose, red dahlias, a very dark red dianthus called, of all things, Heart Attack, a strawberry red gomphrena…. I always have to seriously edit my plant choices before my whole garden looks like Cupid and The Devil.

The magazine looks great.

8. Cat says:

Your magazine is wonderful! I love red in the garden and have quite a few red blooms…I think I like the way they mimic the heat of Texas in the summer!

9. Marguerite says:

Lovely photos Donna. The red in them is very vibrant and eye catching.

10. Masha says:

Great pictures of red, and a very interesting post. I think in the old days, it was possible to name only a red rose after a man, not a white or a pink one (those were for ladies).

11. Dear Donna, I am so glad I didn’t miss this section of your magazine – it is stunning! P x

I like to use red as an accent, here and there. Your photos are beautiful, and the red cardinal is my favorite bird!

13. Missy says:

I happen to love red in my garden as a contrast to the greens and as an attention grabber. To me in signifies the heat of summer. You’ve captured the colour so well.

14. Holley says:

Beautiful! I love red. It truly is an attention getter!

15. Donna, I just love it when you create these wonderful layouts! Fabulous post on reds . . . and so true about their use in the garden or in nature! I love the Cardinal! You are such a great designer. Stunning post.

16. Red is a favorite color in my part of the state because it is the school color for the University of Wisconsin-Madison! I love red, especially in the garden. I’m imagining a bright, red, juicy, just-picked tomato! Yum.

17. OOOOOOOh…red is awesome! It’s funny, I never used to care for the colour red (and I don’t wear it often) but in the garden, I can’t get enough of it. One day I hope to look out and see cardinals in our garden, but til then, I’ll enjoy those of others.

18. Stacy says:

Donna, those colors are so gorgeous! Did you know when you went into photography/design that one of your superpowers would be to combat end-of-winter drabness?

19. Rosie says:

Next to black, my favourite outfits are red. Like orange, the reflection of red on one’s complexion energizes and brightens up the person. (I was just making that up) But I do feel happier as I think I look better when I am wearing red. Maybe you have a red scarf? That would be a good start.
    Most attractive layout of a magazine page I’ve ever seen.
    Rosie

20. Andrea says:

beautiful magazine and photos you have there. I always see red as striking, but i will not wear a red dress because I always prefer to be behind the scenes. Even in flowers, i relegate it to lower preferences, just like what Klaraau told me in one of her comments color preferences might be a reflection of one’s energy centers or ‘chakras’. Red is the color of the basic energy center or reproductive organs.

21. Donna, I love your sense of colour, and so I’m passing on the Stylish Blogger award to you. Pop by Crazy Garden Ladyland to see 🙂

22. Alistair says:

Fantastically presented post, Oh my I do have a lot of red in the garden in Summer. Myra!! Donna says I must be full of virility, no sorry your right it is vitality.

23. patty says:

My favorite colour! I have a red garden bed. It is not the powerful red in your fabulous post but rather deep purples, pinks and some brighter reds.

24. dona says:

Red is not my favourite in the garden, altough I love it in nature, i.e. I’m fascinated by poppies fields.
    Btw: your magazine is really beautiful!

25. lula says:

Red, is difficult color for me to work with, except if we talk about venetian red, which I love for its velvet texture, but here you have just portraited a interesting selection! I like the images, Lula