GBBD March Magazine 2011

Most of the images were taken within the last snowy week. Outside Today images were taken in late afternoon on Monday. In the morning, it snowed.

To see pages 15 to 19, for the articles, Foliage is Fantastic and Growing in the Greenhouse, click the link.

To see the article on pages 21 to 25, Give Us Some Red, click the link.

Looking up can mean looking on the bright side of things. Flowers are bright, sunshine is bright, attitude can be bright.

Looking up can be literal. But it can add a dash of wonder and amazement. It can be sprinkled with possibility and hope. It can be metaphysical or other worldly. It can just be in thought. In thought you can soar.

To see pages 35 to 36, Barking Up A Storm, click the link.

See The Niagara Falls Garden magazine article, Sharing is Caring, this coming Friday and Monday for pages 42 to 59.  It is a look at what Garden Club of Niagara is up to and what we did at our last meeting. You will not want to miss what the hardworking and creative ladies, and a few gents, are up to. We have an event coming that is sure to be a biggie, all in the spirit of community sharing, giving and caring.

Poetry is an echo, asking shadow to dance. Carl Sandburg

Theoretical architecture may fail if one only grasps at shadows instead of additionally reaching for substance. Practical architecture may fail building tall and ignoring the shadows. I think nature has combined the best of all worlds, shadow, light and substance. Building tall and casting shadow. Substance in form, aesthetics and function.

And Outside Today, with the Day’s Theme…

Top: French Lilac, Right: Nikko Blue Hydrangea

Left clockwise: Pear, Hosta leaves, Lobelia, Alyssum.

Left clockwise: Natural Bluestone, Zebra Grass, bird seed, Spartan Juniper needles.

Thank you to Carol at May Dreams Gardens for having Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day. Having a Northern Garden makes one get a little creative in showing what is around us. Winter takes its toll.

This entry was posted in Animals, Birds, Bloom Day, Falls, FLOWERS, garden, Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, Garden Club Niagara, Garden Clubs, GBBD, GWGT Garden Magazine, Koi, Links to Other Garden Bloggers, My Creative Posts, Niagara Falls, Niagara Falls Garden Magazine, photography, Skies, Thoughts and Observations, Winter and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to GBBD March Magazine 2011

1. Missy says:

The shadows of the trees on snow are truly lovely. I know you are looking forward to Spring and warmer weather but i am going to miss the snowscapes.

2. Rebecca says:

Great post… I liked Buds and Shoots-spring will be here soon!
    Have a great GBBD 🙂

3. One says:

From flowers to fish to birds to shadows, buds, shoots and clean-up. You have it all covered….beautifully. But you always still surprise me with something I have not thought of which makes your magazine very interesting.

4. Donna you have captured the colours we nothern gardeners are so used to at this time of year – creativity is something I always love to see and as ever your photos are inspiring. My favourite section this month is your shadow section and in particular the first shot with the beautiful bokeh along the top – you captured the light beautifully in those along with the long shadows.

5. I love those shadow photographs Donna, truly beautiful in their starkness. They remind me of Ansel Adams’ silhouettes of trees.

6. As always you WOW me! The first shot of the Koi in the water is incredible! I love the seagulls soaring in the sky. Those are some truly great photos. I really enjoyed the texture and clean-up photos and I am thrilled that you have some shoots coming up! Despite the fact that you are still getting some snow I think your spring is not far off. Positive attitude and your wonderful quotes are the right way to go!

7. lifeshighway says:

The koi shot is fantastic. I am a big koi fan and have been known to lurk at local koi meets to see if there is something special to pick up and bring home. The butterfly koi are my favorite. Thanks for delighting the eye this morning.

8. Caroline says:

Simply stunning winter shots and I love the layouts. The shadows, buds, shoots, textures and ‘clean up’ shots are my favorites. Happy GBBD!

9. You’re certainly accomplished in whatever you attempt to do. This magazine is amazing…a perfect coffee table magazine! Do you actually print this every year in March? Bravo…I love all the pages.
    Rosie

10. All of your photos are spectacular! Wonderful!

11. Donna says:

this magazine continues to amaze me…I love goinhg back to look at it again and again..I marvel at the incredible photos and your creative words and how you tie it all together…thank you for this wonderful monthly addition to a perfectly great day!!!!

12. Thanks for a unique look into your world.

13. Rose says:

Simply beautiful! Those koi shots are stunning. Your post is so inspiring as well. Although I’m anxious, too, for the garden to dry out so I can get some chores done, this is a good time to look closely and enjoy the little details of the garden waking up from its winter slumber.

14. Donna Black says:

I like your unique presentation.

15. Donna, you have outdone yourself again. As always I leave your blog/magazine with knowledge and with inspiration. Your shots of the woodpeckers are fabulous, and the quote by Victor Hugo (one of my faves) will be with me all day! Thank you!!!

16. I love your photography. Your snow shadow images are just magical. Don’t you find the swelling buds even more gratifying than the opening of leaves?

17. linda says:

Gorgeous photos Donna! Such beauty in the ordinary, when we take the time to really see. Happy Bloom Day!

18. Masha says:

You are such a talented photographer. Those pictures of shadows are simply beautiful.

19. wiseacre says:

I’m going to miss the frozen falls pics.
    I think I heard the first sap-sucker yesterday.
    Texture – still snow here but the mud is about ready to make it’s appearance in the yard.
    chores is a four letter word 🙂

20. p3chandan says:

Such stunning photos Donna especially those rippling water and the koi in them! You are a professional by judging at your fantastic photographs. Great magazine!

21. Gesine says:

Dear Donna,
    a great post as usual! Thank you for join GBBT, you the one and only at the moment 😉

22. Alistair says:

A gem of a post Donna, great shots of the Woodpeckers. The Koi are relaxing to watch, I often spend time looking upwards, mainly to see if that darned Heron is eyeing up my fish.

23. Great post and beautiful photos! That magazine looks very cool. Hang in there, spring will come to you soon!

24. Absolutely fabulous–I think your best ever. Excellent quotations and much to meditate upon not to mention the superb photography.

25. Gail says:

What a delightful post~I do love the quotes~especially encouraging us to look at the details! gail

26. thanks for the inspiring post, and for the reminder to look up. in this fast-paced and seemingly ever-accelerating world, it’s humbling to stand in one spot and watch the clouds slowly roll by… happy bloom day.

Donna, another fantastic post; I am in awe of all the work you go through to make these wonderful editions. The koi are amazing, it’s ALL amazing. You are a true artist.