Garden with Class Pt. 1

I rarely take you to gardens that I design for many reasons, but occasionally, I will show you snippets of a property to focus on textures, plant combination, plant massing, views,  or any of a number of other design features and techniques.

Since I am a member of the Lewiston GardenFest, I thought to show a property in Lewiston. I have designed quite a number of properties here and may highlight some through the growing season.

Spring is a wonderful time, especially with successive bloom. See the companion post on this project on Green Apples. You get a sense of the size of the property.

The lilac are planted for the fragrance at a seating area. You can see what is going to bloom in summer coming up.

Roses will bloom with the lambs ears when the iris is finished. I worked with these clients for many years, and watched the garden mature. I also designed interior space in the residence. They have since sold the home and moved to a new home with less property.

Peonies are a favorite of this client and she has a collection of Tree Peonies. The follow-up post in Part 2 has plants showing a successive bloom with the crab apples. The rock garden starts blooming with the peonies, and is later in the season.  Part 2 has the rock garden with plants just showing and not fully filled in like in this post.

You can see a bit more of the Spring show of this property at Green Apples.

This entry was posted in Design, FLOWERS, garden, Landscape Design, landscapes, My Designs and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Garden with Class Pt. 1

1. TufaGirl says:

Lovely property. I love all the different colors and textures in the landscape. So nice to see a homeowner that loves all colors. Many times homeowners go with a favorite color and then the landscapes looks like a theme park.

2. Shannon says:

Beautiful! I love the way the textures work together to make a garden that’s beautiful and interesting even when not in bloom. Lot’s of good ideas, there!

3. Laurrie says:

You show some really nice combinations of colors, forms and foliage, and the thyme in the last photo is stunning. These gardens hit all the notes (fragrance too, but my computer didn’t register the scent in these pictures). Beautiful.

4. Masha says:

It is beautiful! Such profusion of color and texture. I wish I could sit next to those lilacs…

5. One says:

Absolutely stunning! Do those purple flowers in the last photo bloom the whole day long? So far, the creepers I can find here only bloom a few hours a day.

6. What a beautiful property and design. I do love how it is an all season garden with consecutive blooms and fragrance. What are the purple flowers in the last photo?

7. Donna says:

stunning…I love the flow and color and textures here

8. lifeshighway says:

Magnificent. I wish you were in the Raleigh area and I could be one of your clients. I love your style.

9. I came from Blotanical. Very impressive. I like your garden.

10. Jennifer says:

A very pretty garden. I especially love the carpet of thyme. I seem to have trouble getting thyme to over winter. Any suggestions? I was wondering if I should make the soil more sandy?

• I would say that may be your problem. I usually plant it between flagstone and edge the paving with lavender. Both plants like it warm and well draining. The gravel base for the flagstone makes a great free draining environment for the thyme. I had thyme in my garden but also made a gravely textured soil for it. It grew and spread like a weed.

11. Love the contrasting textures in flower and leaf form.

12. lula says:

I always prefer the real garden walk (aha!) but in this case I don’t mind at all the virtual walk you show us. Very interesting use of colors mixtures in diverse pink-mauve-purple tones: elegant. Lula