Not in My Backyard

You won’t find them here in my backyard….

Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Garden, a national historic site and home of these unique plants.

Brightest Color

Bird of Paradise Plant, Mexico

Crotan, India and Malaysia

There should be no bugs in here… what is all this chewing?

Shrimp Plant, Mexico

Oddity of Form

Mammillaria Cactus, Mexico

Euphorbia lactea Cristata – Elkhorn, India

Pedilanthus tithymaloides – Devil’s Backbone, South American Tropics

Unusual Tree Trunks

Coccothrinax crinita – Old Man Palm, Cuba

Michelia x alba – White Cham Pak Tree, Southeast Asia

Some of nature’s designs are quite odd, some of the colors so different, none can be found in my backyard. But I bet they are in some of yours.

This entry was posted in Botanical Gardens, FLOWERS, Foliage, garden, Greenhouse, photography and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Not in My Backyard

1. So many plants, so little time! Thanks for the educational post full of eye candy!

2. Andrea says:

Donna, you will not find them there in yours because they are all here in ours! haha, except that hairy something. I’ve been shooting different barks lately and the style of the last one is so common, when the bark was wounded and healed. That purple Tillandsia is not what we call shrimp plant, Pachystachys lutea. I didn’t know it is also called that in some parts of the world.

3. One says:

Shrimp plant was something I had. It died during the rainy season. Now I know it is a Tillandsia based on Andrea’s comment. If only I had known, I wouldn’t have grown it the way I did. Gosh! Devil’s Backbone looks similar to 2 of my plants but the color of the leaves are different. The photo of the cactus is gorgeous. I wonder how it is possible to look like that. Are there many small pots beneath?

4. lifeshighway says:

oh, you make me want to go the a botanical garden. I have reviewed these photos over and over and I think my personal favorites (not in quality of the photography but in the plant) is the shrimp plant. Perhaps it is the surprising colors. For texture, the Pedilanthus tithymaloides.

5. gardeningasylum says:

Great captures of some wild plants! The B & E was a highlight of the Garden Bloggers’ get together last summer – the plantings outside, especially the amsonia and veronicastrum, were also lovely, and could grow in my back yard

6. Garden Sense says:

Not here in PA, either! I enjoyed your stunning photos.

7. Laurrie says:

Exotic and odd and fun to read about! Plants really are the strangest creatures.

8. Donna says:

At some point I need to take a road trip to your side of the state and meet up to explore if you are ever game…absolutely beautiful…

9. What always amazes me about exotic plants are local people’s desire to eat them. Some cacti are so odd, what would possess someone with the desire to eat it? Starvation makes everything look good, I suppose. But that glass house is dazzling. I wish we had one.

10. VW says:

What interesting plants you show. And those greenhouses/conservatories are magnificent. Though I always shudder a bit to think about cleaning all those windows, especially high off the ground. I would love a little greenhouse for my own but can’t keep up with the windows in my house, so I’d better not get a greenhouse 😉

11. dona says:

I guess you enjoyed your visit… Great pics, Donna!

Very interesting plants! The Devil’s Backbone and the Old Man Palm are my favorites. Thanks for giving us a taste of exotica!

13. Holley says:

What a beautiful botanical garden! And such interesting plants. Croton and bromeliads grow as houseplants here. Shrimp plant is an annual. The rest? Not that I’ve seen! Great pics.

14. Gorgeous! I think you make them more beautiful in your photos…so colorful and alive!

15. Catherine says:

What a beautiful building! It looks huge. I love seeing the plants that grow inside, all look like they love warm temperatures inside.

16. Those aren’t in my backyard, either!! But a few of them are available as houseplants. When it comes to plants, Mother Nature has a quirky sense of humor! But then again, what a boring world it would be if all the plants were too similar!

17. Cat says:

Wonderful the adaptations plants make to their surroundings. Not in my backyard either!

18. Jennifer says:

Nothing quite that exotic in my yard, just lots of cold white stuff. It always amazes me how wildly differing nature’s creations are. The colors of flowers are so vivid in warmer climates.

19. Christine B. says:

I’ve seen the same sort of plant damage at the pediatrician’s office, so my guess is that plant was attacked by a hungry toddler.

If my state had such a classy-looking setup for tropicals, I might swing a cot somewhere and move in during winter.

Christine in Alaska, no gorgeous greenhouses, plenty of hungry toddlers

20. lula says:

I love visiting botanical gardens and for some moments I thought I was there thru your post, thanks, Lula