Yippy, Spring Sprung

Hey, it’s not much, but when you live in snowy Western New York, you take any glimmer of warmth and bloom. It is 46° today. The crocus is the flower I look to welcome the Spring weather.

And they decided to brave the uncertainty of weather here and delight this gardener.

There is still snow as you can see on the North side of the street. I was rather intrigued by the odd cloud formation. The other day on Sky Watch Friday I showed strange vertical clouds. Yesterday, there were horizontal bands.

The ivy is growing. The zebra grass is faded.

The Daffodils are bigger, but still pale with yellow tips. They did not like their snow cover last week when they were a little over an inch tall.

In a shady part of the garden with very little sun at this time of year, the Helleborus are blooming nicely, and add the only real color since all my crocus are white. You can still see snow behind them.

This entry was posted in garden, Spring and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Yippy, Spring Sprung

1. Mac_fromAustralia says:

Happy spring!

2. Donna says:

It is so exciting…even though we are 2 weeks behind I have daffs ready to flower any day and dwarf irises up in gorgeous clumps…glory of the snow right behind them…everything is about to break…even the maple trees are in flower…happy spring Donna!!!!

• You are well ahead of us here. Trees are still tight with bud. Not much swelling. I was thinking, if you come up this way, your best time would be for the Buffalo Garden Walk on July 30 and 31. The walks I am involved in, are not as large. The Lewiston GardenFest is the second largest in our area, but so much smaller than Buffalo. Plus I have to work at both walks I am involved in. Maybe you can make those dates?

3. One says:

After months of waiting, Spring is finally here? That’s wonderful news. I hope it is for real. 🙂

4. Sandra Jonas says:

Spring is such an exciting time of year.Enjoy it… it goes so quickly! Seem like my daffs were just about to peak and now we are into the viburnums and the roses have buds!!!

5. patty says:

Yay for spring. Lovely hellebore you have, and the crocus gladdens my heart. The snow is almost gone here as well, thank goodness.

• I know, I saw in one of your posts. I would think you would have this colder weather longer than us. Our problem is the Great Lakes. The lakes make our spring weather unpredictable. But in early winter, they have a warming effect.

6. Barbie says:

Spring is my favourite season! I love the new flowers and the warm sunshine! Everyhing looks so brand new! Enjoy it – we are seeing the autumn already!

7. The crocus and hellebore at least seem convinced that Spring might stick around for you. I hope most of the snow is behind you now. Lovely clouds!

8. Grace says:

Delightful harbingers of spring. Love the hellebore.

9. Its such a wonderful day when you finally see the blossoms coming through, snow or no snow! I love those cloud formations too – you don’t always see horizontal stripes like that. I hope warmer weather and more blooms come your way soon!

10. Oh and I meant to add to my post – I LOVE the green Helleborus. Something so calming about that color even against the white of the snow.

11. Lily says:

Happy spring and that hellebore is pretty.

12. Holley says:

The white crocus are beautiful! I’m sure you’re glad to see them rather than white snow. I hope spring has arrived for you finally.

What a welcome sight indeed, to see crocus blooming is such a mood lifter. I need to add some hellebores to our garden, yours are spectacular. I love the veining in the blooms. How long do the blooms linger? We had some light snow this morning and it’s cold, dark and gloomy here. I’m glad your weather is looking a little better!

14. Cat says:

Yippee!! I can feel your excitement 😉

15. Yay, yay, I am doing a happy dance for you (and me). I leave for canada in 8 days!!!!!

16. Christine says:

Your hellebores and crocus are tool beautiful!!! I can’t wait to see your daffodils bloom!

17. Yippee Yeah! So happy for you!!!!!

18. that’s wonderful for you Donna I hope it lasts and there are no more cold shocks in store for you, Frances

19. Alistair says:

Good to see that your Spring has started to make an appearance. Strange that New York is colder than the east coast of Scotland at this time of year, yet in June you will be basking in the warmth of the sunshine when more often than not we will be considering a trip to Spain for a heat. Not so bad, most of our plants seem to love the conditions.

20. lifeshighway says:

Yeah for Spring. Glad you are finally catching up to us here in the South.

21. p3chandan says:

Finally your Spring sprung! At last can look forward to beautiful and colourful garden again! The sky is beautiful with that horinzontal clouds and the white crocus is a bit unusual from the normal deep purple colour. Im happy for you too!

22. marguerite says:

Those crocus might not show so well against the snow but boy are they ever pretty. I like the tiny purple striping on the petals.

23. Woo hoo! You have liftoff! Enjoy 🙂

24. lula says:

Glorious days are to be enjoyed!!! Lula