Tree Farm, Your Tree ‘s Beginning

Niagara Falls Garden Magazine, Pages 84 to 91

Your Tree Before Your Garden

Click the image to enlarge for ease of reading.

The one minute video lets you see the action version of my still shots. What is interesting, is that the three spades actually look like your little garden spades, only huge. The motion shows this as the spades are pulled away from the root ball. Watch as the guys get the trees ready for cities, towns and gardens.

This entry was posted in Farm Life, Foliage, garden, Tree Farm, Tree Nursery, Trees, Tried & True Tips Tuesday and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Tree Farm, Your Tree ‘s Beginning

1. Christine says:

amazing article! very interesting this whole process of buying large trees.

2. Christine says:

Arg, I clicked send before finishing … barbie bought trees two weeks ago – they made her dig the holes before they delivered. I guess they done have this tool here.

3. Holley says:

Interesting. I always wondered how they could do this – I forget there’s a machine for everything!

4. One says:

I see many muscle men. I wonder why don’t they grow the trees in big pots. Perhaps the trees won’t be as healthy and big.

Page 91 is beautiful…

Wow, machines are wonderful things, aren’t they? I would like a little one, for transplanting small trees and shrubs, which I dig by hand and which can be a heavy, long job. Or maybe a couple of those big muscle men would do!

6. b-a-g says:

Interesting, behind-the-scenes post. The root clumps are not as large as I excepted. Neat packaging.

7. There is a lot of careful work required to transplant these trees. I have never purchased such a large tree before. I buy them smaller and let them grow in my garden. I would hate to dig the holes that these go in. Thanks for the behind the scenes look…the video is great.

8. dona says:

Very informative, I’d never seen such machine before!

9. Diane says:

I never knew how they dug huge trees from the ground and burlapped them for the nurseries. Know I do! Great article and video, Donna. Thanks!

10. p3chandan says:

Wow! That was how they do it? Amazing! Thanks for sharing this interesting post Donna.

11. seems almost cruel their roots improsoned like that, like Karin (summermeadows) I buy small trees, I read small stand a better chance and with my gales small helps the tree to grow roots to make it wind firm, interesting though Donna, thanks, Frances

12. patty says:

I have not seen this performed although I am aware of the process. One home in the neighborhood had some very large birches planted this way and then a few months later had them pulled up and replaced with a clump of oak I think. The oak are dying now. They were pretty big trees to plant and I wondered if someone had wishful thinking.

13. Fascinating process that I have read about but never seen. Love the stream photo.

14. Donna says:

wow now that is a machine..cool

15. Bom says:

Cool! I’ve never seen this before although I doubt that they have a machine to use locally. They likely still ball out manually.

Donna, this post is very familiar to me since my husband built his own 36″ tree spade about twelve years ago. Then, when our spruce and white pine trees needed thinning out, we started selling some of the 15′ trees to a guy who owns a 60″ spade. Hard to believe they can move trees of that size but so far, every one we have had moved to other homes have survived. After care is very important; staking for the smaller root balls is essential for at least six months to a year, but with the 60″ rootball, our tree guy says they don’t bother since the dirt weighs so much. I wish I had the machine the men have at nursery in your video (and I wish I had the extra men to help, too!)

17. Jennifer says:

Interesting post! I always wondered how they managed to dig up and wrap trees- now I know!

18. Sheila Read says:

Hmm … no wonder large-ish trees are so expensive. I prefer to buy them quite small. My rule of thumb is a tree can’t be too heavy for me to lift and cannot require a backhoe to be planted!

19. Mac_fromAustralia says:

Fascinating post. Interesting to see the machinery used.