The Norways Come Down with a Huge Thud

If you have been following my posts on City Trees, you will not be to surprised this happened today.

The wind hit speeds of 83 mph today and will continue into the evening.

I took the opportunity to document the tree damage and note saying I mentioned this would occur. The image to the left is the view from my office. My garden is in the forefront and suffered some damage.

But nothing compared the guy in the truck. The mess above came down in and onto his truck. It was far too bad outside to get a decent photo, so I took one from in my office. The dents on the side of his truck came from huge tree trunks falling into, and bouncing off the vehicle. The truck bed is loaded with branches. So is my planting bed next to the driveway since that is where some landed, and the inconsiderate louse threw them before I raced outside to rescue my roses. That is why only one photo, because I had to put the camera down in a hurry.

I watched as the huge branches over a foot in diameter fell on his truck. I was talking on the phone discussing the first tree to lose about half of itself with the neighbor whose yard was covered with the debris, when this tree dropped huge limbs. The neighbor’s yard is below.

Still on the phone and minutes later, this tree below lost the whole crown. I saw this one fall too.

And this is all that is left.

Another tree suffered this damage.

The mess it left is covering an entire front yard.

The city workers arrive as people are cleaning up the fallen branches and limbs.

For a little scale, the worker is sawing the limbs into smaller pieces for the front loader to remove. The image above, notice the woman at the pile of twigs. See how big the tree is behind her?

Here is the big equipment that arrived shortly after because the street was blocked with debris.

Below you can see the size of one of the limbs being loaded into the dump truck. It is the size of an average tree trunk.

And another view of the tree that towers over my office. Think I should move?

My 16 foot Japanese Lilac trees have escaped damage, but I am not sure if they will not be taken out by the big Norway next door as the wind has not let up all day.

This is nothing compared to what is occurring in the South with tornadoes. My condolences go out to these folks losing everything.  A tornado was predicted, but did not happen here. I did lose a portion of my roof though.

Stop back for the end of the month garden wrap up. I took images before this wind storm and you can see my flowers before the damage.

This entry was posted in garden, Tree Trimming, Trees and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The Norways Come Down with a Huge Thud

Donna, I am very glad you escaped damage from tornadoes, but this is very serious, too. How scary! I hope you are spared any more devastation.

2. Today we had wind in Amherst, but nothing like you folks had in Niagara County. Hang in there!
    This damage reminds me of the October Storm (people in the Buffalo area know what that is). The October Storm was freaky. Heavy, wet snow– and a lot of it– fell in the middle of October when trees still had their leaves. That storm occurred in 2006, and our neighborhoods are still losing trees from that damage.

3. One says:

What timing! You just showed us the poor state of these trees last week.

Yeah! I think you should move. 🙂 It could just be the beginning. Kidding aside, I think someone need to examine those trees and come up with a solution before more disasters happen.

4. Christine says:

Dear Donna, I am glad that nobody got hurt during this, it must have been quite frightening when it all happened.

5. Timely posting! I’m afraid based on the weather we’ve been getting, those back east aren’t going to see any let up of this type of catastrophic happenings. One thing that gets me about felled city trees—when a tree is uprooted, why not harvest long, unbroken hard woods? If there’s insect damage, that’s one thing, but if you have a huge old tree that was felled, why chop it up and feed it into a chipper or a grinder? Why aren’t we making better use of our urban forests when timber supply is tenuous and our forests are threatened? Just a thought.

6. Garden Sense says:

Very timely that you had just been writing about the frail condition of these trees. Sorry for your damage, but glad you were spared worse!

7. Greggo says:

Our neighborhood has more potential for damage than yours. We have an inordinate amount of Silver Maples. I have removed one from my own yard when I moved here 3 years ago. Have 2 more to go. Just cant afford the cost. Also have a hackberry with a large cavity and an American Elm which I pruned to get the limbs above the city coded clearance limit. Which means it is now half a tree.

8. gosh Donna how scary, I must have missed your post about these trees, you post frequently and I have been busy so not reading as often, I am so pleased you are safe, no one hurt is the main thing, sorry about the damage to your house though, wind roof damage is well know here, surely if the trees are dangerous they should be removed and as Susan says any good wood should be used productively, they are not thinking green! I hope your garden survives, take care, Frances

9. Good grief Donna. Glad you are OK, sorry about your garden damage. It could obviously have been a lot worse, and was for so many people further south.

10. Wow, it’s good that no one got hurt. It must be a strange feeling to see that happen. I saw a huge, 20ft limb fall inches away from a group of kids in a park not too long ago, and even though everyone was okay, it’s still scary. I think Norway Maples are on the invasive species list here in Massachusetts.

11. patty says:

That is a lot of damage. Glad to hear you didn’t have much damage. We had the same weather as you and our city workers were out there removing fallen branches all day too. We keep our trees in good shape and so it was only minor stuff that came down (tho’ it took me an hour to clean up the front of the house). However like you our neighborhood is full of aging silver maples….

12. Cynthia says:

So sorry for all the damage. This is some crazy weather happening.

13. Nell Jean says:

You are fortunate to live in town where they come to saw and haul.

This was a month of devastation all over the country. Imagine Tuscaloosa, AL where their fleet of garbage trucks were destroyed, buildings blown apart and scores dead. Seeing the destruction there sure put into perspective the big pecan tree we finally sawed and moved that I blogged about earlier in the week.

Our county seat has a tree ordinance and they revere those old dying live oaks up and down the streets. One fell on an office building yesterday, rotten to the core. Fortunately nobody in the building was injured.

14. Masha says:

That looked scary – I am glad no people were hurt. It happens to trees sometimes – the one that fell in our yard had a bit of rot on the inside that we couldn’t see, it looked healthy otherwise but a really strong wind was enough for it to fall… Hopefully, the trees that withstood the wind are strong and healthy.

15. Donna, I thought this when I read your original post, but now I will say it: Norway maples are horrible trees and this is what they do. So sorry for the damage to your gardens. Carolyn

16. What a mess!! But don’t move. You’ll just trade one set of problems for another. We had one tornado touch down in our town and do minor damage but our neighborhood was spared. I’m glad none of the trees hit your house. A New Years Eve tornado in St Louis sent a tree crashing through the middle of my cousin’s house. Yikes!

17. Mac_fromAustralia says:

So sorry about your roof and garden. I hope repairs are going smoothly.

18. Cat says:

Dang, that’s horrible. Glad to hear you and your garden escaped catastrophe. Amazing how humbling it is when Mother Nature shows her strength.