Dig, Dig, Dig

For those of you looking for McDougall Photography’s Fabulous Friday and Blogging from Bolivia’s Macro Friday‘s post on Garden Walk Garden Talk, click on Peony Power.

Dig, Dig, Dig

And bring your list and dinero, the sale is about to start. Well, that was what happened last week. People were excited and pumped for the Lewiston Perennial Sale.

Last Saturday the Lewiston Garden Club had their annual perennial plant sale. The call to members was to Dig, Dig, Dig. And dig they did! The instructions were to bring at least 5 plants or green elephant sale items to sell. We were even encouraged to raid our neighbor’s gardens, but to politely ask of course. Plants were coming in at record pace and in large quantities.

Some members had over one hundred plants to donate, arriving in pots of all size.

Some were very creatively arranged and assembled, grouped in the most pleasing way.

Some were in full flower, while others had to wait for their season of bloom.

Plants were delivered by members the day before the sale and the gymnasium quickly filled with tables fully covered in all that is green and blooming.

Our club has a strict rule that members are not permitted to set aside plants to purchase before the sale. This allows for the best stock to be purchased by eagerly awaiting customers.

A corral was set up to place plants for safe-keeping; a convenience for customers while they shopped. The open area was marked off with chairs to keep customers from taking plants already reserved by others.

The morning of the sale the customers were lined at the door. The line grew and grew until the 10 am opening.

When the doors opened, the people filed in and grabbed their boxes. AndΒ  boy, was there a lot of people. I felt a little like a deer in the headlights, frozen in place by the hordes.

The plants were very well identified both on the pot and on the tables by category. The customers went straight to the tables they were expecting to find the plants they desired.

The members helped customers with their selections and also added up the purchases. They carried plants to the plant corral and explained growing conditions for certain plants if the buyer was unsure. Club attendants were positioned in the corral to mark and group the boxed up bounty.

Prices were clearly marked. The people seemed to know what they wanted and really enjoyed the huge and varied selection. They enjoyed the reasonable pricing too as they gathered up plants by the bushel.

Some took their time and made their selections carefully, reading and comparing the very accurate plant descriptions.

Others filled their boxes quickly.

All and all, it was a good day all around. The sun was shining and life is good. The rain gave us all a reprieve for one day.

I purchased a plant new to me, called Herb Robert, and it is pronounced extra fancy in French.

When I researched it, I found it is known as a European woodland geranium which has a history as a medicinal herb. When its pink flowers blossom, I will be sure to talk about it. It is planted in shade, so it does not spread wildly. It seems to get a good review, so I will see if it is happy here among the ferns.

See the post on Sunday, Another Month Flies By On Dove Colored Wings. It shows my end of the month, garden wrapup.

This entry was posted in FLOWERS, garden, Lewiston Garden Club and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Dig, Dig, Dig

1. One says:

This is the kind of fun I would like to participate in. I used to grow potted plants to raise funds for an association. I’ve also been the customer for such events. It’s fun at both ends. Herb Robert is something that would catch my eye too. It looks good as it is right now…without any flowers.

• It really is fun at both ends. My favorite part of plant sales is the growing and potting up of plants. The sheer magnitude and huge crowds at this one had me a bit uneasy. Too many people, it was hard to move up and down aisles. It was hard to help customers. My photos do not even really show what a madhouse this place was. Most of my photos had people jumping in front of the camera and ruining a good shot. Others people were moving so fast in the dimmly lit gymnasium that many had blurry people.

2. Holley says:

What a great sale! Very impressive. And I love the plant you got, too.

3. Theta says:

I like the lacy symmetry of the leaves of the plant you purchased.

4. tina says:

As I read your post I kept thinking this is the way our master gardener group needs to organize our sales instead of just placing everything on the ground wily nily. What a great selection. Cool new plant you have too. One thing you said about the club having a strict rule about not setting aside plants for members is good. It’s not really fair members swap them out before the sale but you know my group always does. My good friend said it makes sense because we then take the plants home and propagate more for more plant sales. Not sure if I buy that reasoning but it was a nice thought. It looks like quite a great day for shoppers and sellers alike.

• Our Master Gardener group does not do it this organized either. We have a big greenhouse to grow the plants, but at sale time, they are not as neatly arranged. But the advantage is, there are many MG at the sale to help. I was the only one in the garden club.

5. What an amazing way to buy plants! Sounds like a lot of fun and just the sort of event I would attend, arriving home with many unplanned new plant-children πŸ™‚

6. b-a-g says:

The only way to buy plants where I live is from nurseries or diy stores. This sounds like a much better idea, bringing the local community together.

7. And a good time was had by all. So well organised and well signed which for me would be a main advantage. Wish I’d been there but next time make it a shrub sale πŸ˜‰ Herb Robert grows like wildfire in my garden Donna even in shade but I like it just the same.

• Thanks Laura. I was pretty sure someone from your area would give me the heads up on Herb. Next year I am going to bring baby shrubs and trees from the nursery. They will be a tremendous hit. Imagine little boxwood, hydrangea, spruce, pine and so much more. The women did not give me early enough notice about the plant sale. They have been assuming all of us know everything about Lewiston and their activities. I do much professional work in Lewiston, but do not know everything these industrious women are up to. I have to remind them that I am new and let me know which park to go to!

Donna, I am so far behind reading blogs, but just had to pop in and say hi. I will be going back and reading all of your posts I have missed as soon as I get a spare minute. The sale looked wonderful and so perfectly organized. And the prices…alot of bargains! I love the blue/purple primrose. I have the plant you purchased, now I know what the name of it is, thanks to you!

It’s raining again but ‘supposed’ to pass later on this morning. I sure hope so.

• Karen the rain is unending here as well. My end of the month post will highlight our weather, but great news, it is not snow. You have had some real flooding. I live a half block from the Niagara Gorge. That is one big hole to fill up with water. We get flooded basements because the storm sewer can not handle the influx and have had a foot of water at one time, but that has not happened in twenty years.

9. it all looks so good no wonder people were queing before you opened, herb robert is one I keep seeing as a native but so far have not got, it always sounds nice, Frances

10. linniew says:

I love plant sales! You can find the best stuff for cool prices. I just get so excited, waiting in line like all those gardeners in your images!

Sounds like you have already been warned about the Herb Robert, who definitely has issues with setting his limits.

11. Bom says:

It’s so wonderful how active your community is. Very impressive. BTW, you knew that you would have at least one of us pronouncing Herb Robert in a French manner, didn’t you? I can’t get it out of my head. πŸ˜›

12. That looks like a quality plant sale – no wonder there was a queue when you opened the doors!

13. That sale looked incredible!! If I dug up 100 plants I wouldn’t have much of a garden left!

• I donated 64 and none came from the nursery. Had I went to the farm, I could have had 164. I was at one of the gardens that had 100 plants to bring and her garden is not that large. She has many plants that multiply easily like forget-me-nots. I was the only one to bring asiatic lilies, roses and delphinium. I told them next year to expect foxglove, carnations, hydrangea and Shasta Daisy among others. The majority of huge numbers of plants were Hosta, evening primrose, forget-me-nots, fern, Rudbeckia, Sweet Woodruff, and Daylilies..

14. Masha says:

What a great event! It is impressive how well organized everything is, and how many people showed up. I love the plant you bought – the foliage is so intricate and lacy. I can’t wait to see more pictures of it.

15. Shyrlene says:

Donna – what a cool event! It’s no wonder fellow gardeners go into a ‘feeding frenzy’ with abundant native plants at reasonable prices. I caught a buzz just looking at the pictures. Of course the adrenaline rush does me no good today, since it’s pouring outside!

I swear I can ‘hear’ the weeds growing from my viewpoint at the computer – uck! On the other hand – it’s the 1st time I’ve had a chance to blog in 2 weeks.

16. Donna, the mid-Atlantic group of the Hardy Plant Society does a similar sale–lots of fun. Herb Robert (I didn’t know what it was called–fuzzy stems, weird smell to leaves) just appeared unasked in my garden, and I can’t get rid of it no matter how many times I pull it out, and it is in full shade. I would think twice before planting it. Carolyn

17. Jean says:

Donna, What a great event! I can see why people stand in line to get in and why they might be tempted to pick up plants already set aside by others. In my experience, the plants that do best are those that have been grown locally and dug up just before I buy them. I’ll have to see whether there are groups that do something similar here.

18. ronniejt28 says:

Donna what a fabulous plant sale, and they all looked so healthy. I feel the excitement welling up inside just looking at them – I don’t know about dig dig dig, more like buy buy buy!

19. Donna says:

I have to make a point next year to come over for this wonderful sale and garden walks…I was drooling at all the plants for sale eyeballing a few I would love to have

20. This is my kind of shopping, and so many beautiful flowers!