May Garden Wrapup

Another Month Flies By On Dove Colored Wings

Where does the time go? When the snow is on the ground it seems like Spring is never going to arrive, but when it does, it grows a pair of gray wings and off it goes.

Today I watched a mother Jay feed her young in the gray, foggy, rain filled garden.

A woodpecker visited my pear. A Grackle fed its young from the branches above, and a cardinal decorated the Phlox.

The pear blossoms literally were decaying before my eyes with the endless rains.

Petals float like lily pads in a murky, bottomless pond, eerily interesting. Really it is my bird bath littered with fallen debris, floating sadly as it browns. Time for a cleaning!

The new growth of the carpet rose glistens like it is forged of precious metal. Nothing is as it seems as the sinuous fog slithers in.

Rain has been like the snow with the big question looming, “When is it going to end?”

The flowers hang their head, their roots fighting for air. Some have just had enough, give up, and lay down gently in the black earth to die.

I have to admit loving the gentle rains and cooling temperatures we have been having, but raging storms have been visiting us a little too frequently. The only iris to fully open braves the storm predicted for this evening. The crepe paper petals are laden with moisture.

My beautiful and very large, top-heavy rose standard has been downed numerous times in the 40 mph winds. The rain has been pelting it and helping along the start of black spot.

Where is the truth in the phrase, “In like a lion, out like a lamb.” No sweet little bleating baa around here.

This morning the fog laid heavy and low, smothering the colors of Spring. Up close, color takes on a clear, creepy vibrancy, but a view down the street really shows the mood and atmosphere of the day. There is beauty in the blandness as shapes dissolve and edges blur. The repeating line of the trees and light standards march down the road to fade to nothing.

I like the look of fog too, but you just never feel like it is a great time to be out with a camera. The air is chillingly still, the birds are disturbingly silent, the place is grayed to the color of dove.

The moment is dimmed by the dense and ominous mist.

I almost feel like I live in Seattle, although it is one of the few places in the US I have yet to visit. That or London where this rain and fog must be right at home.

The days have been dark, yet the flowers shine bright, even if the name of the Salvia amplifies the tenor as Black and Blue.

The black buds below, belie the neon color to come.

Others, late-blooming like Queen of the Night, arrive to weather of their liking. The Queen has lightened through the years. She also shrank in size. Arriving to temps in the eighties, she hastily retreated in years prior.

Still others are singing in the rain.

Viola                                      Forget-me-nots                      Rose standard

The sun is brief and a few rays trickle through.

The Viburnum likes the cool temps and the intermittent sun. It puts on a glorious show.

Lilac is the color of the Spring backyard, the iris are yet to come…. but following, the peonies blossom pink and yellow to start the color change for the seasons. The transformation begins…Allium to iris to lily…. and so much more.

I have joined Lisa’s Chasos, hope you stop in. Just click the icon above.

This entry was posted in Birds, End of the Month, FLOWERS, garden, My Garden, photography and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to May Garden Wrapup

1. My goodness, this was a beautiful post, in words and in pictures.

2. Les says:

I love that Allium shot with the foggy background. If you get tired of your dove, send her this way, we could use some rain, gentle or otherwise.

3. esmeowl12 says:

Your photos are fabulous. Thank you for sharing nature’s beauty.

4. Masha says:

What a beautiful garden and what superb photography! I don’t know where to start… The bird pictures are great, they move so fast it is hard to capture them, but you have done a great job. I love the picture of alliums with the trees and fog in the background, a very interesting photo. Also, the view from above of the doublefile viburnum is pretty, and gives a good idea of the shape of the blooms. Your backyard is spectacular, that lilac must smell heavenly…

5. Love the shots, especially of the birds.

6. Bom says:

Where do I even start to comment on this post? The flow of the words and photos was wonderful, transitions seamless. Your garden seems to be coping with the rains and fog relatively well enough. There is still so much vibrancy and variety in colors to counter the greys and poor visibility. I can’t get the poor daisy out of my head though. 😦

7. Rave reviews on this post! Beautiful photography and so nicely written! Will you please send some rain my way. Things are drying out so quickly in our summer heat.

Terrific post! Wonderful foggy photos, and despite all the rain, you have some beautiful blooms. I wish you could send some rain our way. We have temps in the 90s and no rain in sight. I think I am a whole season ahead of you!

9. We have had an unusually cool and wet spring, as well. Can’t complain, though, because all too soon it will be 100 degrees with no rain in sight. Running a little late with getting clients’ gardens installed this spring, so the rain has been a welcome sight to get the new gardens off to a good start 🙂 On my 3rd set of dove nesting in hanging baskets on my porches — guess the plants can wait 🙂 Love the foggy shots! Beautiful spring garden shots, as well.

10. Kala says:

You have so many beautiful images. I stop to comment on one and then there is another and another.

11. b-a-g says:

Enjoyed reading your atmospheric post. It’s nice to see how your garden is filling out. My favourite photo is the royal blue salvia. (We have had some rain in London over the weekend, but it was welcome after such a dry spring season.)

12. One says:

I love the photos and the way you wrote. I especially love the purple flowers and the foggy photo. Fog is a rare sight for me. But like you said, it probably looks better than it feels.

13. Absolutely gorgeous photos of flowers! So many different ones to see and enjoy!

14. Judy says:

Your post was such a lovely pictorial. I enjoyed the tour immensely and echo your sentiments.

15. Laurrie says:

I always linger over your photos and go back and back to savor them. Then I try to pick favorites. Hands down in this post is the Fog Shot. Ethereal, beautiful, moody.

And my next favorite is the black and blue sage. I grow it too, and it never fails to amaze me with the intensity of its true blue against true black. Vivid.

16. Donna says:

I too lament about the rain…my backyard is soggy still and has yet to dry because of all the rain we keep being deluged with….over 5 inches just this month and 10 in April not to mention over 170 inches of snow. I can’t remember when it has been so wet…the flowers are braving on …it is funny how some that are growing for you have not appeared for me and others have come and gone in the blink of an eye due to the heat we are suddenly getting in the high 80s going to 90 tomorrow…how I long for a day of 70 with sun..sadly we had precious few this spring! The storms have been horrible here with very bad lightning…

17. ronniejt28 says:

Donna, you have a lovely garden, and the photos are stunning. Like you, I love the colour of new leaves on a rose, burnished and beautiful. Am envious whenever I see raindrops, we have had so little rain in almost two months, quite unheard of. I do hope, however it is not saving it up and we get rain for weeks on end! R

18. What a beautiful garden you have – beautiful photos and words. I love the shot of your bird bath, that iris covered in rain drops, the rose leaves, those purple blooms with the foggy background, your yellow tulip and that first viburnum shot. Wonderful photos!

19. Andrea says:

I always come here for the photos which never fail to inspire me! Now both the photos and the prose are so inspiring. Although i might learn how to take as good photos, writing as nice i will not hope for anymore I will just remain envious, hahaha!

20. Beautiful photos – where do I begin? I love them all!

21. BumbleLush says:

What beautiful pictures to recap the month. They’re all amazing but I just love the one of the fog with lampposts, and of course, the bird pictures. Birds seem to sense me coming with a camera and fly away before I can get a shot, so I always admire those who manage to snap pictures of them. Great post!

22. Sarah says:

Gorgeous photos. They are all amazing. I think my favorite is the fog one.

23. Barbie says:

Oh boy – have we also had buckets of rain here in Cape Town, South Africa. Traffic backs up with flooded roads. My dry river bed is a raging torrent of water. Pity I did not plan to trap this excess water. But I love your beautiful delicate flowers all wet with the soft rains. I will also post my wet garden this week.

24. Donna you have some beautiful flowers despite the weather, I know what you mean about too much rain and wind, today was the first day I could look around the garden at the damage from the gales, a lot of windburn and some plants lost, wonderful post words and photos, Frances

25. Donna, Keep the allium photo and the lamp post photo in reserve for GGW–so beautiful, sure winners. So hot and humid here that it is overwhelming–90 today and 95 tomorrow, peonies gone in a flash. Trade you! Carolyn

26. Holley says:

Loved this post. I hope your spring turns a little less gray, although your pictures are still beautiful and your words are melodic.

27. Kim,USA says:

Awesome!! Love all your shots!

Macro Monday

28. My eyes landed on Kylee’s comment, and I want to second that! We are going from cool temps and rain to highs in the 80s all this week, with little rain in the forecast. I think some morning gardening is in order. I better get most of the lettuce and spinach harvested, too. Once these temps get here, they bolt.

My black and blue salvias are growing, but have not bloomed yet.

29. Kathleen says:

Donna, your garden is absolutely exquisite. It makes me aspire to greater things in my own. I think your photo of the black & blue saliva is the best I’ve ever seen. You have so many gifts.
    We are wishing the cold and rain would stop here too. Hopefully we’ll both see the sun again soon.

30. Beautiful images Donna, and a spookily familiar story – we too are seeing out Spring with cooler temperatures, rain and wind. As for the fog, we don’t really get that much here, too high and windy, but it has an eerie beauty best admired from a (warm) distance!

31. gardeningasylum says:

It has been a different sort of spring, but the cool damp has brought out the best in many plants, as your lovely photos show!

32. Your photographs are quite stunning (as always 🙂
    A lovely and enjoyable post. I hope the sun shines brightly for you soon.

33. patty says:

The lampost photo should be blown up and put on a wall. I’ve been trying to find the words to describe the mood I get from it but I fail. Your garden is looking well even in the rain.

34. Jennifer says:

Hi Donna,
    I love this sentence,” But not to lament, Spring is here but just wearing a different coat. Cloaked by the fog, dressed for rain, the sun dancing in and out like a supporting player.” It poetically describes what has been a wet spring. Here, we finally have sun, but scorching heat has come along for the ride. They say on the radio that we are going to set a record high for temperature today.
    Your garden is looking just lovely, BTW. All the pictures are fabulous!

35. If you live in Seattle, then we do too! We had high hopes for this spring when January was pleasingly warm, and then we got to March and started shopping for plans to build an ark. Now we seem to be stuck like the stock market, dancing with the nth thousand mark but not crossing it. In our case we can’t seem to crack 70 lately. It’s raining today, rain tomorrow with the threat of thunder and hail, and snow below 4000′. I shouldn’t whine, we’re so much luckier than others of late, but I’m wondering if this summer will be as cold as the last…so are my tomatoes and peppers! On the upside, I can grow spinach later than usual, and your flowers are gorgeous! I really do love that ethereal photograph of the fog…thanks for braving the chilly air on such a dull and damp day.

36. Your photography is gorgeous! That first photo is amazing!!! You discovered a gem.

37. Janet says:

Lovely range of photos. your jay is completely different to ours in terms of markings as is the woodpecker. Shame we don’t have cardinal birds as they provide such a splash of colour. My favourite photo is the fog one. It’s very atmospheric.

38. Nutty Gnome says:

Stunning photos combined with evocative writing makes me want to return here again and again! Thank you 🙂

39. Hanni says: