Bad Borers

According to my local Cooperative Extension Educator and based on the images reviewed, this was not a borer that is typically identified in our county. I sent him the same images and he did not have an idea which borer it was attacking the Royal Gem Crabapple.

So if you readers have seen this before, please leave a comment. My tree needs your help, even though it is unlikely the insect can be controlled. I did consider lilac and dogwood borers since they are in proximity, but remain unaffected.  In addition, they were not described as having damage of this sort.

This entry was posted in GWGT Garden Magazine, Identification, Niagara Falls Garden Magazine and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Bad Borers

1. Masha says:

A lot of information and great pictures, that made for very interesting reading. I am not familiar with apple borers, so I am sorry I can’t help, although the damage seems to be like that of rose cane borers (a wasp that lays eggs inside a rose cane). The damage done by these wasps is not very severe though…

2. Barbie says:

Ooo dear! That is a real pest! Thanks for the detailed imagery. Sorry I can’t help….

3. Donna says:

Donna that is scary that it seems to be a new borer…I have problems every year with my dwarf willow trees and am anxiously awaiting the ash borer…to have to cope with even more is awful…I wish I could help and hope someone can..

4. Eugh! Sorry Donna, can’t be of any help, but that is dramatic damage. Hope you find a solution.

5. Stacy says:

I’m afraid I don’t have any help to offer either, but best wishes at figuring out the culprit. Poor tree!

6. Holley says:

I have never seen anything like that! The damage is unbelievable! I hope you figure it out and can exterminate it easily.

7. Can do nothing more but confess ignorance but hope you find the answer – both to what it is that is causing the damage and how to deal with it.

Esther

8. Thank you so much for commenting everyone even though the borer remains a mystery. It would be great if I see the insect because that would nail the ID. But, they most likely do their work at night, especially if it is a moth.

9. Ick, not fun. Sorry about the damage. Wish we didn’t have to deal with these kinds of pests. And I hope you can solve the mystery and can treat the problem soon.

10. andrea says:

They are all yaickssss!

11. Tufa says:

Oh my! I hope you folks can figure this one out. That is horrible destruction.

12. VW says:

What an informative post. Thanks for sharing all your research so the rest of us can watch out for problems like this. Tree diseases are the most frustrating of all, since it takes so much time to replace an old specimen. I’ve got a 2-year old flowering cherry on its way out, I think it’s a graft problem, and I just want to pull my hair out over it.

13. Dear Donna, I am so sorry your beautiful crabapple is being attacked by borers. Sorry I can’t ID it for you. Your photographs are superb as usual. Please let us know if you find the answer. P. x

14. gardeningasylum says:

Oh no – what a shame! Crabapples are so pretty, but the ones I’ve had have been plagued by critters and I’m unwilling to do all the spraying necessary to keep them looking their best. Good luck!

15. Hi Donna – had not realised borers were so utterly destructive. In terms of life cycles it seems contradictory to destory the host plant but pests are adaptable so this one may be something that also likes to bore through other tree types. Wonder if its something that has been imported – a lot of our pests are aliens that come in on the winds or via plants from abroad. Hope you find a solution – it is such a pretty tree.

16. Dee A. Nash says:

Icky. I do hate borers. I’ve had them in the peach trees and such before. I’ve never really come up with a solution which worked well for me either. I’m sure it’s me. I need to be more vigilant. I am nothing if not lackadaisical. Hope you find a solution.~~Dee