The Niagara Falls Garden Magazine July 2011

Welcome to another issue of the Niagara Falls Garden magazine. See In the Garden for July and Garden Reality on virtual stands now!

And Kiss My Aster, Blue and the Color of WOW, and It’s a Small World in the next few days. And one not to miss… Open Garden Extraordinaire.

What is it really like in the garden, more than most like to admit.  Beyond the pretty flowers, the foliage is taking a beating.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011, Not looking so good all over the US. They said 30% chance of rain this afternoon for Niagara Falls, but I have my doubts by the looks of things.

What would a pesticide free garden be without its pests?

Well, it might be getting a little help from above….

For all you voters, GWGT had 230 posts in 365 days. Thank you to all for your kind words and playing along in the poll.

Please stop in on all the garden bloggers for May Dreams Gardens, GBBD for July. Thank you Carol, once again. Also, do not miss Seepferds Garten, Blogger Blüten im Juli.

This entry was posted in garden, GBBD, GWGT Garden Magazine, My Garden, Niagara Falls Garden Magazine and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to The Niagara Falls Garden Magazine July 2011

1. AngryRedhead says:

What’s the pink lily on page 56? I NEED to know!

I have to love the photo of the aphids! There’s not much gardening going on here. The weeds are flourishing, and I pull a few of them when I can. After an extremely dry June, we are now having a wet July. Every day brings gray, boiling clouds and thunder. The air smells like mold and feels like a steam shower. I am very thankful for air conditioning!

3. I, too, love the photo of the aphids!

4. One says:

I didn’t know aphids can look so good! Great shot! I see them on my hibiscus and I have been cutting those infested stems off. If I see them again, I will take a snap shot. Your magazine has inspired me to go take some photos now. Thanks. Love your magazines.

5. Hi Donna – Your garden is still look beautiful despite the lack of rain. The lilies are stunners!

6. Masha says:

Great photography! That shot of aphids is really outstanding :). I love the second from the top picture too with the lilies and the greenery in the background, just gorgeous.

7. I’m with you; we can’t complain too much given the drought elsewhere in the country. In Wisconsin the lilies are lovin’ this hot dry weather.

8. Bernieh says:

Your garden is looking terrific despite the dry conditions. Fantastic Lilies! We’re in the middle of our very very long dry season and having very similar problems. Dead grass, infestation by pests, plants wilting … it’s a hard time out in the garden.

9. Yes, I agree that pink lily is a must-have!!! Your garden is lovely — yet REAL. The nature of July — some drooping, some crispy, some insects, some mildew, some GORGEOUS. It is what it is. The not-so-good makes us appreciate that perfect petal or unscathed foliage all the more.

10. The lilies and monarda look great together – I presume that’s Cambridge Scarlet? It certainly sounds like tough gardening conditions over with you. When I saw the first photo of the foliage I didn’t realise it was mildew but thought you were showing a pulmonaria!

11. andrea says:

Yes it doesn’t look too good when powdery mildew is already that much. and your aphids are plenty, but i go with One in saying that they look so good in the picture. If only they are not doing any harm, I can let them pass as beautiful.

12. beautiful flowers Donna, I love the lilies and I also love the photo with all the daisies, I never see aphids up here I have wondered if it is the wind or they just don’t come this far north as Ladybirds who eat aphids don’t come this far north, love your little helpers, Frances

13. Barbie says:

Yes – the stark reality of summer – that all looks familiar! That powdery mildew claims quickly, hey?

14. Again, you’ve outdone yourself, Donna! Even the aphids look good! And I love your descriptions…your Kiss My Aster! Only Donna can get away with that.
    Rosie

15. glimpsesofglory/karen says:

Love ‘Elodie’, What a beauty!
    Ah..Powdery Mildew, we know it well here on Long Island.
    Your post was a delight!
    Thanks for the tour
    glimpsesofglory-karen.blogspot.com/

16. Lovely lilies – I wish I had the patience to grow them, but I hate the lily beetle infestations they always fall prey to. I’m having lots of problems with powdery mildew too, even on my clematis flowers, which is new for me. Great GBBD as always – I love the way you combine the celebration of the plants with the more serious message about what lack of rainfall means to those dependant on it for their livelihood. I wanted to comment on your water post (its a tiny planet) but comments closed before I managed to get there.

17. Bumble Lush says:

I hope you get some rain soon, although you have many beautiful blooms in spite of the lack of rain. I’m a bug-phobe, but that picture IS pretty cool. Happy GBBD!

18. Hilde says:

Your garden is looking lush and colourful. Great photos!
    The lilies are gorgeous.

19. Cat says:

Kudos for showing the reality of the mid-summer garden! Still lovely though and Toni is right, the harsh realities make us appreciate the glimpses of perfection all the more.

20. noel says:

aloha donna,

beautiful work, great job on the graphics and presentation..wow the colors of your garden in july are amazing and the lillies are beautiful

21. Hanni says:

eewwwww…the aphid shot gave me shivers up the spine! 🙂 Your garden is just beautiful. I planted a (very) small boxwood hedge a few weeks ago and was picturing your lovely ones in my minds eye.

22. Very good of you to show the reality of your garden. I think many of us are looking the same way. Your photo on page 61 is impressive. Those are lots of bugs and how they lined up so nicely for the photo 🙂 I am away from my garden for 3 weeks at the moment and I am afraid to see what it will look like upon my return. Happy GBBD!

23. Donna says:

Donna how funny some of my monarda is not doing well and the lilies are blooming but not all and not as tall…your garden looks a lot better than mine and strangely my phlox do not have fungus yet…tomatoes are starting though…we need consistent rain…scary how other places are worse off…so I try to keep it in perspective…Happy GBBD!!

24. Jennifer says:

Hi Donna, Your garden looks great on the glossy pages of your GBBD magazine. It is super dry here too. If we don’t get rain soon, I may have to resort to doing a rain dance in the backyard. (Rubberneckers might cause a traffic accident if I do a rain dance in the front yard).

25. I totally feel your pain as I live over in Steuben County near Keuka Lake in NY. Nothing like the crunch of grass underfoot. Meanwhile though my garden looks like the Amazon Rain Forest. Must be what Las Vegas looks like…

Your garden looks fab as always!

26. Alistair says:

Your blooms are looking teriffic Donna. the weather here at the moment is cool cloudy and miserable, more green than flowers.

27. Laurrie says:

I love this magazine… the photos and the layout are great. Even the bug and the mildew reality photos caught my attention. The Wow factor in your garden is a delight.