Out Kids

When I was taking my orchids out for a vacation in the garden, I kept laughing to myself. Why? Because I had a friend from Greece that had the cutest accent which made so many English words laughable. For instance, the scissors was d’ seeeee-zoars. It cracked me up each time she said it and at first, I had no idea what she was asking.

And you probably guessed it already, my orchids were OutKids.  So today I took the OutKids out for a break in the garden.

I watched them to see if the insects would be curious, since they are pretty specifically designed for certain pollinators. I think the small flies were interested, maybe only because that is one honking big, colorful flower compared to what they are used to, like the white lilies.

I could hear them saying, “Harry over here. Would you look at that mother of a flower.” “No Fred, don’t be fooled, you will go down there and never come out.

“I’ve heard stories from Marco about these exotic death traps. Marco has been munching on the Jasmine, says it is real sweet.”

“Come on over and have a bite.”

“But Harry, those orchids look delish…”

“It’s your decision big fellow, but don’t say I did not warn you.”

“Look at that Paph over there Harry, cozying up to our coreopsis. Looks like an old timer too.”

“And That Phalaenopsis. What is it doing with the hydrangea. I think it is posing for a photo! They are all trying to steal the show, the nerve.”

‘And that Peace Lily is looking so sinister wearing a hoodie, lurking over by the moss garden. I know just the bugs to call up to take them out. Where are those green caterpillars.”

“Stick with the big flowers we know, Fred, but and watch out for spiders. They are sneaky. Did you see what was swimming around down in the Paph? Man was it ugly. I hear quick and deadly too, may Orlando rest in peace.

The last known shadowy image of Barney was right before he entered the gullet of doom. So sad.”

“The Petunias and lilies have always been safe, so don’t take reckless chances.”

I did this post especially for Plant Chaser

Plant Chaser is celebrating, make sure you go and give your best wishes before August 7. Plant Chaser will be one on August 7 and leave your congratulations for a job well done. And join the celebration too, much is in store. Click the card and be surprised.

This weekend is Garden Walk Buffalo, Yippy!

This entry was posted in Orchids and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Out Kids

1. Donna says:

Wonderful post…love seeing orchids which I have never tried to grow…

2. One says:

LOL! The Outkids! Those photos are so good, they should be submitted for some competition. Your drawings are really cute too.

Bom is a lucky guy! I have more bugs than plants. How do I prepare a post for him? Oh dear…

3. Cute comments and gorgeous photos! Bom must be honored. :o)

4. TufaGirl says:

Your OutKids are lovely.

OutKids, how funny, along with the scissors…! Your orchids are amazing, I have another dear friend who grows them, too and every time I see the flowers it’s a treat. My ability to grow houseplants is woefully misguided and I cringe whenever anyone gives me one. (Poor things.)

So many gorgeous images, each one prettier than the last. Great post, Donna.

6. Greggo says:

outhouse for me.

7. marguerite says:

Wonderful plants and photos. Was this just a day trip or do your plants spend a fair amount of their summer outdoors? I’ve put some houseplants out of door for the entire season but never an orchid.

8. AngryRedhead says:

Flies are awesome pollinators because they’re so accommodating and unfussy. Love the blooms!

9. Holley says:

Beautiful orchids and cute commentary. I have tried orchids, but I decided finally not to kill any more!

10. Cat says:

Ha! Bom will love it!

11. Diane says:

Love love your orchids!! They are one of my favorite flowers, but alas, I have the worst luck in growing them. They do fine while in bloom, but I can’t seem to get them to rebloom :/ What a great post! Made me smile while reading it 🙂 But it does make you wonder…what do the bugs think as they wander amidst these beauties? Beautiful photographs…as always 🙂

12. Fabulous post and the photos are simply gorgeous!

13. Bom says:

Wow! They’re right! I AM lucky, I love it and I am honored that you went to such lengths for my simple celebration. Harry and Fred must have enjoyed your OutKid show and it seems your OutKids enjoyed their day in the sun as well. The pictures are beautiful. Thoroughly enjoyed your commentary. Peace lily in a hoodie. Old timer paph. Hilarious! So sorry to hear about Barney’s passing though.

14. andrea says:

Hi Donna, i agree, Bom will be delighted. I always associate your posts with amazing photos which always inspire me, hoping I can take photos like them next time. The problem is i post my photos straight out of camera, even if you have generously taught us how to process ours. I love specifically the first one, didn’t think of looking at it from behind, great DOF. The spathiphyllum with peeping flowers are lovely too. Great!

15. Beautiful post. I love the piece about the peace lily wearing a hoodie. Will remember that for a while.

16. Shyrlene says:

Excellent! Love the color commentary – you have a great sense of humor and know how to spin a post. Nice homage to BOM!

17. Outrageous Orchids, Donna beautifully posed with the garden plants. Good to start the day on a cheery note with your funny narrative and drawings. I loved the hoodie description too and the top image is breathtaking. Very nice feature for Plant Chaser.

18. dona says:

Your orchids collection is gorgeous, and your Greek friend so nice! 🙂

19. BumbleLush says:

Funny post! Love the cartoon bugs and beautiful OutKids 🙂

20. Cute title and anecdote! Your orchids are so lovely. If you ever have the chance, tell us how you care for them through the seasons. As a new orchid gardener, I am always curious to know more about their care.

21. mo says:

Love your photos- they make me want to go out and be still in the garden