The Niagara Falls Garden – GBBD August

Evening Garden Macro Composites

studio waterstone and lisa’s chaos

From around the garden…..

There are changes happening to the beds.  Each year the shape of the grass changes and beds grow. Plants move on to new homes to make room for others pulled from somewhere else. I love color and the beds change through the seasons from pastels to vibrant primaries, then back to softer colors to finish out the seasons. White, tawny golden from the grasses, murky green from the hydrangea and blue are the colors that welcomes in the winter. The Iceberg roses will be blooming with a coat of snow and so will the asters.  The pear wears multicolored leaves until January. Then all settles in for a long Winter and cold Spring. And today, I saw the Canada geese in formation flying southward. And it is only August 14!

Wonder what the Farmer’s Almanac is predicting?

Participating in May Dreams Gardens, Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day, click the images. Also with Seepferds Garten:

This entry was posted in garden, Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, GBBD and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to The Niagara Falls Garden – GBBD August

1. Town Mouse says:

Your garden looks great! Glad you got a little rain. Too bad about the baby birds – I’m getting quite tired of all those crows. Well, maybe next year will be better….

Happy bloom day

2. larry says:

Great shots of a lovely garden!

3. One says:

The robin story is so sad. Your drawing is great…like usual. Someone has been writing to me about a baby sparrow their Great Dane rescued and how it just got killed by crows when it started to fly a few days ago…

Your flowers are gorgeous but I like your drawing the best.

4. Kala says:

Gorgeous images of the black-eyed Susans.

5. You cram so many wonderful colours and shapes into your small space Donna. Your over laden bee made me smile in recognition, I saw something similar in my own garden recently but wasn’t quick enough to capture it on camera.

6. Hootin' Anni says:

Incredible…stunning!! I can think of a 1000 adjectives to describe this post. I loved reading about the worker bee and her pollinating job too.

BRONZE LONGHORN is my Monday Link…stop by if you can.

7. Barbie says:

Your garden blooms are ever so amazing. I hope that one day my garden will be SO green!! Thank you for sharing!

8. Hi Donna – what are those gorgeous white flowers in the picture “Front 36”?
    I agree, I love the lush green beauty in your garden – its always a visual feast!

• Christine, they are Hibiscus moscheutos ‘Luna Blush’, and they only get about three feet maximun height. Supposedly the butterflies love them, but they seem to prefer other plants in the garden much more.

9. Bom says:

Donna, your “small” garden is huge by the average standards in my country. 😀 I like the bee pictures. If you get more than the usual flowers in your garden next year, you know who to thank.

10. Donna, your blooms are beautiful and I love how you present them as a magazine. You are so talented and I love visiting your blog. Happy GBBD!

11. Ginny says:

Donna, everything looks so fresh and beautiful in your garden. Your Luna Blush looks the way mine did back in early June – mine is hanging on but putting out only a few blooms and those are smaller.
    I was so sad to read about the baby robins 😦

12. Nature sucks sometimes. Sorry. It does. There I go anthropomorphizing everything.

13. Donna says:

Donna so sad to hear about the robins. It seems such a similar story. My robins as you know made it with their third clutch. Nature can be so disappointing. I do believe they will return. Ours did three times even building a new nest the third time. They never seem to waver. As always your photos are incredible. The garden is so beautiful. You have such a talent with the camera. I never seem to capture the hummers like you do…

14. Denise says:

Beautiful as always! That bee is so funny. Maybe he got drunk?

15. b-a-g says:

Donna – Loved this post : painting of the baby robins, observation of the overloaded bee, meeting with the punctual hummingbirds and border filled with black-eyed susans and over-hanging grass is stunning.

16. I live way down here in Alabama and always liked living here but I wouldn’t mind living up north if it looks anything like your garden does, but don’t tell my neighbors cause they’re die hard Alabama fans as I am, but they’d never understand me wanting to live in Niagara Falls……:-)

17. Awww…poor robins. We have crows and ravens here, and sometimes I’m amazed anything survives to fledging. They’ll even take baby turkeys (which is why our turkey pen is covered). Our Jays here are just as loathsome, especially as they’d be just as content to eat peanuts or sunflower seeds. They really don’t ‘need’ to raid nests. It’s especially tough when a clutch has survived undetected for so long.

That is quite a messy bee! Honey bees are often accused of being less efficient that native bees because they groom themselves so much. However, I’m sure the plants are happy the bees are dragging so much pollen about!

18. So sad to read about your robins. Mother Nature is very cruel at times. I love the busy bee who seems so preoccupied getting pollen that it forgets to go to the hive. Your hummer photos really turned out well. I have photographed the hummers for days and only get 1 or 2 good shots. They are so quick and fly off at the slightest movement. I am very keen on your rudbeckia and grass combination. What grass is that?

19. Greggo says:

that bee reminds me when i get constipated. lol. Thanks for the tour, it was very enjoyable this evening. The hummers are fascinating aren’t they. happy gbbd.

20. Lisa's Chaos says:

Lovely garden photos! The bee with flower – wonderful! Love the baby birds too!

21. Another spectacular post. I always look forward to your monthly issues. I like page 45 best of all.
    Rosie

22. Layanee says:

Your garden is lovely. Voluptuous with bloom.

23. GirlSprout says:

Those white hibiscus are so pretty. I love seeing the changes in your garden from month to month. Wish I could grow hydrangea here!

24. Bumble Lush says:

Great pictures! I loved the stories at the beginning. The one of the baby robins was sad (nature can be cruel), but I was laughing at the story of the bee who spilled pollen everywhere (nature can be funny too!) Happy GBBD!

Another fantastic issue with much to read about and all the pictures to admire. Love your painting of the baby robins, too. The view from above is wonderful and shows your landscaping layout so well. You have more interest in your garden than I do on my sprawling property and so much color; goes to show you are truly an expert in your profession! Your Christmas tree this year will be fantastic, oh, a concolor fir is one of my favorite trees. Nature can be cruel and comical and hopefully confused….please tell me those geese were locals headed to a bar uptown??

26. Your garden is so tidy Donna or should I say well manicured especially with those neatly trimmed buxus. My favourite part this month is your side bit with that large drift of rudbeckia. I wish those plants would take a liking to my garden but they struggles every year to flower no matter where I plant them.

27. Jennifer says:

Donna, Another great issue of the Niagara Falls Garden. I like that your back garden has different levels with steps that lead down from the patio area. The arial and side views that you photographed show off the garden beautifully. It is too sad about the baby robins. There was a nest in a small tree at the side of our house and the four baby birds all perished. Poor Mom and Dad robin! After all that egg sitting and worm fetching, to have their babies killed by some nocturnal predator is heartbreaking.

28. Shyrlene says:

Great post. From the personal story you shared about the robins (your drawing is incredible), to the virtual tour around the gardens – this was a wonderful read.

29. Gesine says:

Dear Donna,
    such a sad story! Nature is cruel.
    But your pictures are great, I love the bloom with insect most!
    And I learned that hummingbirds live in your area which I dinn´t knew before!
    Thank you so much for participatng and suporting Blogger Blüten, I really appreciate it 🙂
    What is the problem with Mr. Linky, can you please tell me?! I allways try it first and for me it worked…
    And many thanks for the birthday greetings!
    Wish you a wonderful week!
    Gesine