Pretties at the Farm, Pages 51 to 57

As you browse the images, I hope you can think about slowing down, relaxing and just taking a moment to imagine smelling the fresh country air, feeling the late summer breeze, hearing the birds sing and watching the butterflies feed here at the farm. Sure some of these creatures can be a garden nuisance like the grasshopper munching encelia or senecio (anybody know?) petals above, but in their natural environment, they are a delight to find in amongst the wildflowers.

I find beauty in the curling and drying foliage in a plant anywhere else would just be a weed to pull. On the farm it does not matter if the leaves curl on the native plants. They are deep-rooted, tough and highly suited for vast extremes in weather.

But here is a plant, no matter how pretty, is a bane to farmers and nursery growers.

But no matter for today anyway…

And for another feel good garden post (excepting the Loosestrife), see Green Apples for the ‘Hope Blooms’ Garden located along Garden Walk Buffalo.

Linking with those below. Go have a peek!

This entry was posted in Bugs, Butterflies, Farm Life, Garden Walk Buffalo, GWGT Garden Magazine, Niagara Falls Garden Magazine and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Pretties at the Farm, Pages 51 to 57

1. Les says:

Even the grasshopper has a beauty about it. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

2. Donna says:

I love the wildness of the pictures but of course it is so like my small meadow. That’s the fun of the meadow. I do not have nor will I allow loosestrife in the meadow or yard. So far I have been spared but surrounding areas have not especially farm land along the Thruway. it seems to have taken over especially of late with the recent rain. It is definitely on the invasive and do not plant list in NYS. Too bad since it can look beautiful if you don’t think about the thug that it really is…

• I am sure your wildflower meadow is ‘hopping’ with activity and beautiful flowers. The wild flower gardens we planted for clients are blooming like crazy. But, having a 300 acre farm to take photos at is a shot at every turn. The only problem, is that the nursery fields are not blooming much at this time of year. There are acres and acres of the same plant, so I have to walk far to get to the next ones. Being dry, I can drive the Jeep in the fields which helps with all the walking. I only ride in the 4 wheelers that the workers use, I never drove one.

3. Greggo says:

Had a hopper that large tonight. Texas sized. lol. didn’t have my scissors with me however. but at the time I didn’t mind as it was munching on a mulberry tree. I can smell it.

4. Masha says:

Really lovely pictures, except for the grasshopper one :).

5. andrea says:

That first photo is so elegant, and it exudes strength i can’t seem to understand, haha! By the way, i read you comment in Amy’s saying maybe the sun’s rays are somehow harsher than before! I’ve read from the researches of the US-based Global Coherence Initiative that the sun’s flares are comparatively more often these days. These affects the earths happenings especially those related to emotions, leading to those riots, mobs, maybe what’s happening in Mid Eastern countries, etc, etc. So the effects on plants and climate change can just be the obvious, but there are more indirect effects, indirect because not yet strongly proven. You might want to see their site.

6. Your farm images are beautiful! The rawness of nature makes for some excellent photography even if it isn’t always “desirable” in our gardens. I am especially taken with the grasshopper photos.

• My amazement was that he just kept on chewing as I circled him. They usually hop off before I can even zoom in on them. These shots were not even taken with my longer lens. He really wanted his dinner I guess.

7. Laurrie says:

The purple loosestrife is indeed very pretty, but I see open fields around here that are just a sea of solid purple. They take over and then some!

• Laurrie, the loosestrife is getting all over the farm, where in previous years it stayed in all the drainage areas only. But part of the reason for being on farms such as this is the irrigation provided the preferred plants.The nursery waters trees and shrubs almost continuously in these dry spells.

8. Cathy says:

An occasional grasshopper is fun to watch. Fortunately, we haven’t been invaded as of yet by the hopping masses LOL. Purple loosestrife is a problem here, and we have some sprouting here and there in the garden. This time of year, I pull it up and so far, we’ve kept ahead of it. But “invasive” is being kind.

As always, your photos are stunning… you should enter Horticulture magazine’s photo contest!

• You are far too kind. I am just an experienced amateur, but this is a nice thought. I have never even finished in the GGW photo wrap ups where the professional critiques the images that did not win, so I must have a long way to go before the Horticulture contest. LOL. I love that magazine BTW. I am getting ready to photo composite like the shelter magazines do, staging every image for the best image to print. No hopper, move a little to the right and raise that front leg a bit. Show me those mandibles. And let’s put in a pretty sky background and show some sun. Just joking of course.

• Cathy says:

I have never rated a critique either at GGW, but that hasn’t stopped me from entering! Go for it, Girl! You’re darn good! (Bet those ‘hoppers buck up and do what you tell them LOL.)

9. linniew says:

I like your meditative suggestions, to relax and enjoy the day. It is that part of the summer, when it’s too late to start new things and too early for fall planting. Insects are busy though, and you captured that too.

• Funny, the butterflies were less active. They were few and far between. I was lucky to find the ones I photographed. Taking walks like this is really relaxing and the air is always fresh and clean. Well, except on rare occasion when the wind shifts and the cow farm comes whiffing by.

10. dona says:

Stunning bugs parade, dear Donna!

11. The leaves and blooms certainly look Encelia-like to me, but I can’t say for sure. As for the loosestrife, we’re so fortunate not have that in our area, I know how pervasive it can be. Right up there with the likes of our invasive broom species! It’s a shame when such a pretty plant turns out to have such a sinister side. Awesome grasshopper shots by the way. I love that half the bloom is missing in the first one, you caught him red handed!

12. VW says:

Isn’t it great how a camera can frame a bit of beauty that we wouldn’t otherwise appreciate? Love all your vivid pictures, though I’m not sad to be far, far away from your grasshopper. They used to startle me so often as a girl that I still get the heebie-jeebies from them. One time my brother thought he was funny to pull one apart and eat it . . . aren’t brothers just ewww?!

13. b-a-g says:

Your photos have chilled me out after a stressful day !

14. Dear Donna, A lovely relaxing post. The grasshopper pic is stunning — as are all your photos. Purple loosestrife is a menace in this area, too. P. x

15. Beautiful – love the grasshopper! Loosestrife is a thug of a plant, but very beautiful. A native here, of course, so kind of strange to see how it is a pest for you. Mind you, having made the mistake of planting a white variety in my garden, I know how hard it is to control, for all that the insects love it and it has beautiful flowers. Context is everything!

16. All of these are wonderful! I particularly like #52!!

17. Michelle says:

Nice. I love your grasshopper shot!

18. Karin M. says:

The photos are all beautiful …. fantastic quality and color …
    LG: Karin

19. Nayana says:

Beautiful flowers and amazing shots..Thank you for visiting me.