The Lexicon of Sustainability Project, Oh so Cool

I found the absolute coolest of organizations and website around. It is a community of individuals, all foremost practitioners in their fields, leaders of farming and food all across the nation. They promote the Lexicon of Sustainability Project with short videos and ‘information art’, showing and explaining sustainable practices.  They give people ideas and food for thought to elicit conversation. To get people talking, to get people doing. The pun was intended too since they have information on growing and eating better in their tools to promote the Lexicon.

The photography and graphics are beautiful, all personalized, introducing you to the individuals involved. Below is only one example of the gorgeous work that they produce.

They say it all begins with WORDS, “where words are the building blocks of new ideas, activating change and transforming societies.” Sounds like a campaign, huh, full of moving rhetoric, yet it is anything but. It is a project that exudes and incites excitement, taking the subject of sustainability and making it fun and cool. The website is so engaging, you cannot help but to care and want to join in reforming your own practices, growing your own neighborhood conversations. It really is a grassroots type approach with some really slick graphics and presentation.

They take a very dry and complex topic and make it both attainable and understandable. The image above is on their site and there are many, many more, so go and see. I was amazed by the roots of the two wheat. Who would have realized?

The people you meet are ‘everyday, hardworking folk’, leading edge and compelling. While not all practices are new with many tried and true, they are done in such a way that you want to employ them yourself. Plus some are so inventive that you wonder why you did not think of them.

You can join and curate a Pop Up Art Show in your community and you can apply to be part of the Traveling Show. I suggested this site to our Cooperative Extension Office. It would be great for them to present this unique show to Niagara Falls. We even have a college art gallery here where it could be shown possibly. Take a moment and view the video and tell me you are not impressed or smitten with what they are doing.

The information is so rich and well presented, you must see for yourself.  Go to Lexicon of Sustainability. Plan to spend some time on the Images page.

This entry was posted in garden, Sustainability and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to The Lexicon of Sustainability Project, Oh so Cool

1. Mac_fromAustralia says:

Interesting. I haven’t been keeping up with things too well lately but I’m glad I managed to catch this post.

2. Chad B says:

I just watched the video and my first impression was similar to yours. It was very impressive. It makes you feel hopeful about our future and that is a rare thing to feel these days. I can’t wait to see more of their site now.

3. Carolyn♥ says:

LOVE your new design… feels like I’ve been gone forever. I think I’m back now. Thank you for your support, Donna. I’m off to check out this website. Thanks for the heads-up!

• Glad you are back Carolyn. I missed your posts but was checking in periodically for updates. I will have to see what you are up to in Utah tonight when I get the time from work for blog hopping.

4. That looks very – VERY – interesting.

The “Perennial vs. Annual” image is a wonderful example of visual storytelling, naming the individuals – even “ylimE” in the background and thus making it personal, rather than preaching. A campaign like this can so easily go from being informative to being evangelical in a way that puts off a lot of people, whereas if you “know” Emily the dehuller it suddenly becomes relateable and – hopefully – transferable to your own life.

• Is this not really the most unique kind of story telling and communicating? It is so easy to relate and that is what makes it great. I have been out of advertising for so many years since changing profession, but when I see a campaign like this one it makes me very nostalgic for the good old days of two dimensional design.They have lectures too and I imagine them to very rewarding and informative. I feel like this sort of ties into what I am doing with work at nursery farm. Even garden design too with some of their really ‘hit the homerun’ type graphics like the one I showed today. It drives the native plants home much better than always mentioning that they are better suited due to deep rooting. Who would of thought to show it like this.

• I need to remember that image… My work is to train and coach customer service staff in, well, customer service, and that involves a great deal of story telling. This way of getting a message across – and facilitating its reception – is something I can definitely use.

Is it Monday yet? My weekend just started and I can’t wait to see if I can’t incorporate this in my work in some way.

• Make sure you click my images link in the post. You will see maybe 30 of these designs. Some are much better from a pure design standpoint. The photography is great and so is the composting of images to make each individual panel in the program. Really, take my word for it, if you love great graphics, these are wonderful and worth the study. It is one of the best use of ‘type’ on a page that I have seen.

I really enjoyed the video and am off to check out the site. This is a step in the right direction, even for a farm girl who never left the farm. Thank you for the information, Donna.

6. Donna, You know this topic is near and dear to my heart. I watched the video and can’t wait to check out the website. What a find.Carolyn

7. Thanks for the info – am going to check it out! Love the graphics already.

8. Donna says:

Very cool and can’t wait to spend more time checking it out…this is where I have been trying to move more and trying to find more info about…so excited to have found this through your post Donna…thx

9. Holley says:

Thanks for the info. I’m going to check it out, too. Always good to learn something new, and yes – those roots are unbelievable!

10. Garden Sense says:

Looks like a great resource for information and inspiration. Thanks so much for stopping by Garden Sense! I’ve missed by blogger friends and am looking forward to getting caught up.

11. I love the ethos behind the site, but actually found the design of it rather off-putting. Its so visually busy that I found it harder than I would have liked to actually engage with the content, and the use of a small font for text means I have to magnify the content, which to me means that the design fails on the accessibility front immediately. Shame, because they have so much great material on the site, and the basic idea of combining photos and “scribble” to tell simple stories is wonderful. Each to their own!

• I can see your point. I was wondering if someone would point out the childlike nature of the presentation too as being in conflict with the demand for careful consideration of the material presented. But I like this unexpected juxtaposition of elements. As per the magnifying, we were taught if you do this to encourage readership your graphics must be very strong to get the point across without the text. But it can make a visual more engaging by forcing the reader to read it.

• I think I am more concerned about the accessibility side of things. Having content embedded in graphics means someone using a screen reader can’t access it. Using such small fonts makes it hard for anyone with less than perfect sight to read the material that is in straight text. I think both are a shame, given the importance and potential appeal of the content itself. Interesting that they have used WordPress to build it.

• I did not consider the embedded part of the issue, but these graphics are part of the traveling show and are very large I believe so that would not be an issue in person, most probably. I had to enlarge them on screen too, so I can imagine a person with limited sight. Did you know Google is a sponsor? And they have the displays on their campus. I am happy that Google would support this but not at all surprised. I did a post a long while back highlighting “Googles’ ” goats. They employ them for ‘mowing’ the grass.

12. Joy says:

Donna this information looks very interesting so I am going to tag it for my “favourites list” and make sure I have lots of time to explore it. Even just that oone picture of the wheat is amazing !
    Thanks girl : )

13. AHHH! Love this! I am passing it on to some of my family members who are out in the trenches working for change! Bravo! Nicole

14. Absolutely wierd and fabulous: what about in UK?. I have just been to Edinburgh Festival and saw the dullest show promoting gardening. All cushions and knitting and oldies. No need to be like that.

15. One says:

There is a proverb that says a picture is worth a thousand words. This is definitely one such picture.

16. I am smitten! This is such a creative and fun way to spread important information.

17. b-a-g says:

Thanks for introducing us to this web-site, and ways of thinking & communicating. I’ve added it to my favourites list.