End of the Month- 31 Reasons- Pollinator’s Agree

Thirty One Reasons

Sixteen Tomatoes a Day. Like my art?

Why these plants are great garden inhabitants. Don’t ask me, ask the pollinating visitors flying in on the other fifteen plants and see what they have to say. You want guaranteed color in Fall and a garden buzzing and flapping? Oh, and there are 31 images, so you might be here awhile. Make sure to see the last image, it is a real oddity in my neighborhood!

“Yes I like Aster frikartii,” says the very handsome Pearl Crescent.

“Veronica ‘Sunny Border Blue’ is made for me,” says the brightly colored moth. (Unknown, smaller than a Clearwing)

“Perovskia ‘Little Spire’ is a fave of mine,” says the Cloudless Sulphur .

“Star Aster ‘Jim Crockett’ is worth a try.”

“Caryopteris ‘Dark Knight’ is a bee favorite and I do not like sharing.”

It is the busiest shrub in the garden.

The Ailanthus Webworm Moth, two above, and Sweat Bee, above and below.  This bee is so pretty, here are two more images. They don’t count in the 31 images since they are the same insect. I am not sure this is a Sweat Bee and if you are sure, let me know.

They just don’t pose when you want them too.

“Phlox paniculata, not that ‘David’, is my favorite,” says the Carpenter Bee.

“Scabiosa ‘Butterfly Blue’ is just my size.”

“We like the warm colors too. This Sweet Pea is really sweet.”

“Monarda ‘Raspberry Wine’, yum, yum ,yum, yum YUM.”

“Veronica is planted in four varieties in this garden and every one is delish. We keep coming back for the very last drop.”

“Salvia ‘Black and Blue’ is going gangbusters. I was here in Spring and they were tasty, but they are even better and bigger in late Summer. It was worth the long wait.”

“And yes, she lets the weeds grow after August first.  No plant gets maintained or watered. And I can not say I agree with that. These are much tastier freshly watered.”

“Oh my, I almost missed this one. You would think there would be more Butterfly Weed.”

“Hydrangea ‘Big Daddy’ is a great little Bed and Breakfast,” said the Herald moth, Scoliopteryx libatrix. (I think)

Cleome ‘Senorita Rosalita’ is worth the trip according to this Snowberry Clearwing Hummingbird moth.

“Caryopteris ‘Blue Mist’, is a bit lower to the ground at 24 inches. I remember the dogs used to pick us off on this shrub.”

“Cleome, above and below is a great place to meet other wasps and flies.”

“See the fly, is she not a beauty? I love that coppery rump”

I could spend a whole post on Duranta. It rivals Caryopteris, Asters and Cleome at this time of year. Passing the upright, potted Duranta sounds like the shrub is going to become airborne.

“Caryopteris or Blue Beard is liked by every bee I know and she has a couple varieties of these. I am on Blue Mist and on my way to Longwood Blue.”

“Perovskia is a little harder to get a meal, but mighty tasty. I have fallen off this plant many times.”

“Aster, oh I love my asters.”

“The Cleome has an unidentified moth. It is really tiny too. Not sure why he came to our cleome.”

“Caryopteris ‘Longwood Blue’, oh how I wait all season for this.”

“Why hello there, my fellow Skipper. Want to join me for lunch on these Shastas?”

“I visit the Monarda four times a day and only use her feeders in the morning. See that pesky bee, above and to the right of me. She is really flying high. There are too many bees in this garden if you ask me.”

This is why it is fun living along the Niagara River…. I never know what I will see flying around. This is a first for a Turkey Vulture flying over the house. There were two of them, but I could not get them both in the frame as they flew really low. They circled quite a few times too.

Linking with the Patient Gardener for the End of the Month Posting.

What to Expect in the Future for End of the Month Niagara

Next month I will be doing a post for the End of the Month with 30 images, one from each day, so you will not know what to expect. So much happens during the month of September that a photo a day diary seems fitting. I am changing the rules a bit to make my End of the Month a little more interesting, and also not to be so similar in content to GBBD. Having a small garden, means I have to get creative to keep posts and images fresh and fun. I could have posted 31 plants in the garden for August, but the pollinators deserved the attention this month. They have been so busy on their favorite plants.

What to Expect Next Wednesday for Word for Wednesday

Serendipity

the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.

We can stretch this to finding something that does not belong, good or bad in a place you would not expect it. My vulture gave me the idea for next week.

This entry was posted in Bees, Butterflies, garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to End of the Month- 31 Reasons- Pollinator’s Agree

1. What a fabulous post! I love the concept of 31 pictures for 31 days. Your garden is a very busy place. I love all the pollinators that you showed! They are fantastic!

2. tina says:

That last photo was surely worth the wait. What an awesome catch. The vulture looks huge! I also really liked the bee flying by the duranta with all that pollen on its body. Never seen a bee so loaded up!

3. Laurrie says:

You have the happiest insects and birds. My caryopteris is alive with bees to the point where I can’t really see the amethyst blooms at times. I agree with your hummer…. there are too many bees (but all are welcome!!)

4. Bom says:

I really enjoyed your pictures and the commentary. Quite amusing. Looking forward to your 30 September images.

5. Donna says:

Donna your captures of pollinator images were awesome…I just savored every one and the last was incredible. I can’t wait for the 30 days of September…

6. You may think you have a small garden, but the way you capture it in words and photos makes it gargantuan. All of these plants are such a pleasure in the garden because of their blooms and pollinators. I enjoyed the photos and the pollinator ‘script.’

7. Holley says:

Great post for some ideas about what to plant. I have some caryopteris, but need more. And for some reason duranta will not grow for me! Love, love, love the cleome.

8. One says:

What a great idea! All very lovely photos of pollinators. Wondering what you would come up with next…

9. Chad B says:

What a clever idea for blog posts! I’m looking forward to what your September garden brings you.

10. Cat says:

What a great idea Donna! We have small gardens in common but I’m always amazed at how much is going on if I stop and look closely. Great captures!

11. 31 reasons to GARDEN! I could spend all day staring at the pollinators as they skip from flower to flower (of course, then I’d get nothing done). I love the TUVU shot, beautiful!

12. Ronnie/Hurtled Towards 60 says:

A post to beat all posts – marvellous! Thank you Donna.

13. Hanni says:

You take the prettiest photos! I wish I was a photographer! 🙂 And this is a great idea, too.

14. patty says:

Amazing photos. It is a wonder that you have so many different varieties of insect in the garden. Many I have never seen before. Maybe I have them too but have never seen?

15. Love the post & the photos!! 🙂 🙂

16. BumbleLush says:

I always love your photos. The shots of the bumbles are my favorites 🙂
    And the last one of the turkey vulture is absolutely beautiful! What a great moment to capture!

17. Greg says:

31 gorgeous momentos

18. LOVE! I am going to have to go back and read some of your photography tutorials because those pictures are Amazing!

31 days of fantastic photography, Donna, I really love this post, too. All the bees and flies gathering at your garden for their feasts. The turkey vulture photo is amazing! We have them around here now, too, but I don’t remember seeing them as I was growing up. He (or she) was really close to you!

20. There is an awful lot going on in your small garden Donna, what a great demonstration of “if you plant them they will come”! The Turkey Vulture is magnificent.

21. TufaGirl says:

Great job with the pollinator a day posting. By the way thanks for the help identifying my “clear wing” moth. Got him identified and his sighting in my garden has been confirmed! http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Hemaris-diffinis.

I will definitely try to participate with Serendipity next Wednesday.

22. PatioPatch says:

Am mad about Caryopteris myself but your Duranta takes some beating. Savoured every moment of your shots Donna – the wildlife there is so rich that you’ll need more days in the month.

23. Barbie says:

Fabulous photography and all the busy bees & co. You capture is all so beautifully – thank you for the post! 🙂

24. dona says:

What a wonderful pollinators series and what a superb Turkey Vulture! I envy you a bit…
    Can’t wait to see your innovations…

25. shanegenziuk says:

Keeping busy in the garden I see. All the power to you!

26. I love this series. Beautiful. Your patience astounds me!