The Month in Tens 2- 30 Days of September

Linking to Christina’s post for GBFD showing garden foliage, although there is not much not covered in flowers right now.

This entry was posted in The Month in Tens and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The Month in Tens 2- 30 Days of September

1. One says:

This reminds me of your magazine. My favorites are 14 and 20th. Deer and geese roaming around freely has never been a common sight over here. Enjoy such photos.

• I wanted to keep it different, but to add multiple images in one day does have the look of the magazine, I know. I am working on it and thought of a creative way to do the days and make it graphically more interesting. Much more work, so I am not sure if I will not go back to the first way.

2. Christina says:

Great selection of images, numbers 15, 16 and 18 would fit for a Loliage post too, see GBFD at http://myhesperidesgarden.wordpress.com/2011/09/22/garden-bloggers-foliage-day-22nd-september/
    I love the varied topics of the days, what an interesting life you lead. Christina

3. andrea says:

Interesting….and I don’t know how to write those words in photos!!! lol.

• Andrea, you mentioned that before. If you have a paint program, use a small brush and paint the words with the mouse. It is tough to do it with a mouse, but not impossible. I use a stylus pen and tablet. It is like traditional writing. I also do it in Photoshop with layers, so I do not have to write directly on the image. It gives me a chance for a do over if my writing is really poor, like on Sept. 16 which I did hurriedly.

4. Gorgeous shots, every one of them! I love the one of the deer running!

• Karin, I snuck right up on the deer pair within 30 feet. Problem was, my camera was set to manual on the wrong exposure and I thought I put it back in landscape mode. I was snapping away and realized it too late. They got a whiff of me and ran away. Those photos would have been good had I been paying attention. The farm raises pet deer and hunts the wild one on the property, and I never saw wild ones in the fields before. So I was too excited to think like a photographer and set up my shots. 😦

5. Donna says:

Donna wonderful shots of September…your concept is a wonderful way to document the month as a garden journal. Everything still looks green and lush. I know mid month our temps dipped around 40 with a few areas hitting a frost and possible freeze. That has stabilized so I am hoping for a warm October.

• It is a good way to have a garden journal, but gets pretty boring for readers if I only look at my own garden. That is why when I can, I show places I am at during the day, but not necessarily why I am at the place. When my work keeps me at the computer, is when I go out during the day to take a photos in my garden or a shot or two at the Falls. I think it would be great if more gardeners did this though. A photo a day, then a post three times a month. It really would show the garden changes, trips to nurseries, garden clubs or public parks. It also gives a sense of what it was like weather wise too. In winter, it is a bit more challenging though. Like really early today, I was at the apple orchard picking apples for a pie and then making my pie. It is in the oven as I write. It will be my post on Sunday, but show up for the next Month in Tens for Friday, since it takes up most of the day to pick apples and prepare a pie.

6. b-a-g says:

Certainly beats working in an office …

• I just left a comment to Donna, explaining that my work is in an office, yet, since it is at home, I can just grab the camera and take a walk. Some days though, I am on a job and can only take photos where the property really is not in full view. So, hence, something the guys are working on. I have been making a point to have the camera with me most places I go now, just because I will need a shot for the day. It really makes me more disciplined in finding something worth an image. The day at the farm, I did have work to do, but also came home with many good images of things I like the farm for besides what is there for work.

7. I love these posts! And now I want a stylus too 🙂
    The photosI liked the most were of September 11 and the shots with your Cleome.

• Christine, Wacom tablet is my greatest design tool. I was going to get the more expensive Cintiq but I am so used to working with a tablet now, working directly on screen seems a little excessive. If I did the graphics for a living, I would have one for the added control, but it is of little use in my CAD app. I suppose if I did more freehand there, but that kinda defeats the precision to the use of CAD.

8. Patsi says:

That was a fun post. Got a kick out of you writing sideways on your pics.
    Boy you sure don’t hear the word “dreary” too ofter.(Mom used to use it alot).

9. Alistair says:

Terrific shots Donna set out in your wonderfully recognisable signature way, keep that clever method of the angular text in your pictures to yourself.