And We Have Pie and Much More

Fresh from the sunny fields, Pumpkin Pie that is…. but first, I saved my favorite Sunflower from the post Study in Sunshine for today… it is entitled Narcissus. They just love themselves.  Happy end of the month!

Now off to the farm…. from farm to kitchen, sunflowers and pumpkins.

Let’s go into the field to pick our pumpkins. There are two nice ones now, just the right size for a pie each.

Now on with the Pumpkin slicing…

A fresh Sugar Pumpkin and a sturdy knife makes short work of the pumpkin.

Chop that baby in half.

You make a big mess cleaning out the pumpkin but save those seeds.

This pumpkin size, about five pounds, makes two cups.

Get that pumpkin into the oven.

A whirl in the food processor makes mush.

Add all the good stuff to the pumpkin puree. You need that extra sugar with a fresh pumpkin. Even 1/2 cup is fine, shown is 1/4 cup.

I used a frozen crust rather than making my own. There is so much work using fresh pumpkin, to save time, I used a store-bought crust.

We have another pumpkin sitting in the bullpen. This one might become a frozen ice cream pie.  A local restaurant makes it and it is wonderful. That is why I top pumpkin pie with vanilla ice cream. It tastes just like at the restaurant, but I might give the ice cream pie a try. Pumpkin bread is another Pennsylvania favorite from home. My mom made it often. So many choices… so let’s have seconds.

Today’s pie gets a shot of whipped topping and a sprinkling of cinnamon.

And like I promised on Green Apples, I made you the pie. Rather than sending you back to Green Apples again, here is the recipe. Fresh really does make a difference, but the canned works fine too. What I add that is a little different is the grated orange peel. A little orange zest.

2 Cups fresh mashed pumpkin or a 15 oz. can
1/4 Cup sugar (Recommended for fresh pumpkin)
1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 large eggs or three medium
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped and dried orange rind
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust or make your own special crust

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Use a small-sized sugar pumpkin. Clean and slice the meat from the rind. Save the seeds for later, they are great toasted and salted (but the larger carving pumpkins have bigger seeds).

Cut pumpkin into squares, spread evenly, and bake in a covered dish. Bake at 400° F for 30 minutes or until pumpkin is very tender. Remove the cooked pumpkin and put it immediately into a blender or food processor and make puree.

Whisk the fresh pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, sugar, spices and salt in medium bowl until smooth. Pour into your pie shell. It will be a soupy consistency and easy to pour.

Bake for 15 minutes at this higher temperature. Then reduce the oven to 350° F and continue baking for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool. Garnish as desired. I serve it with whipped creme and orange slice (for company) or vanilla ice cream, drizzled with maple syrup. Store your leftovers covered in the refrigerator.

This entry was posted in garden, Recipes and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to And We Have Pie and Much More

1. helensadornmentsblog says:

I loved seeing how you made your pie with fresh pumpkin. I might get adventurous and try this myself.

2. Marguerite says:

I’ve read several times that sugar pumpkins are better for cooking but you’re the first person I’ve seen use them. Seeing their small size I’m tempted to grow them myself. I usually buy the carving pumpkins for halloween and then cut them up immediately after for cooking. They’re so big two pumpkins is all I need for a year’s worth of pumpkin bread.

3. Donna says:

Fab post…I am drooling for that pie…my pumpkins did not turn out so we will have to use canned pumpkin…love the recipe…

4. One says:

Donna, I am really impressed by you. The photos are wonderful and the pumpkin pie definitely looks delicious. If you produce a cook book, it’s certainly going to be a very beautiful one.

5. Greg says:

yummy in my tummy. send please.

6. Indie says:

You had me at pie… 🙂

7. Amazing post! Between the colors and the pie! My grandmother was a baker. When she passed away my uncle accidently missplaced her hand written book with all of her recipes and notes. So I have great respect for people that take the time to bake from scratch. Thanks for the step by step and the recipe!

8. Christina says:

Your pie looked delicious, but whenever I’ve eaten or made pumpkin pie I’ve always been dissapointed. I wonder if it is a memory thing. All Americans seem to love the pie and remember it with nostalgia from their childhood. Enjoy your pie. Christina

9. Barbie says:

Oh how wonderful – the pie looks amazingly delicious – yes, I can smell it! What a wonder to know it comes from your garden ….. I can’t wait to get to that stage of gardening….:-)

10. Okay, that’s it. I’m making pumpkin pie this weekend. Was going to put it off until Thanksgiving next week, but your pictures have tempted me.
    And the photos are gorgeous.

11. HolleyGarden says:

Yes, I smell it – and it smells like autumn! Cool weather, warm pie. Chilly nights, comforting spices. Leaves turning orange, pies wearing the same hue. That month in tens wrapup looks enticing, too!

12. I’ve never made fresh pumpkin pie but I think I will have to try this. It looks so scrumptious! Have a great weekend Donna and enjoy that pie! (btw, the ice cream pie sounds very yummy too!)

13. Diane says:

Donna, That pumpkin pie looks so yummy! I will try it for sure when the pie pumpkins begin to show up around here. Your sunflowers are gorgeous!! Sunflowers are absolutely my favorite flower…they are so bright, cheerful and sunny. Love to see the changing of the colors…here everything is brown and brown :/ So I’ll get my fall fix through your photos!

14. NHGarden says:

Stunning sunflower pic!

15. I can almost smell that pumpkin pie from here…one of the reasons I love fall! It looks scrumptious. I have our pumpkins harvested, now I just need to make the pies 😉

16. Great looking pie Donna – do you toast the seeds?