A Walk in the Grass

I want to thank all the participants and readers for stopping in on Word for Wednesday.

I have been getting suggestions for future W4W posts and would like you to vote on what you would like to Picture in Words for upcoming posts. I will post a poll in a few days.

The posts by the participants have been very creative and original. Some have elicited deep thought, and some posts were very profound.

All had images beautifully photographed. I can not tell you how pleased I was to read these posts. If you have not had a chance to see some of the posts, take a few moments and check them out. My image above has thousands of tiny raindrops balanced on the grass blades. I found this scene really relaxing.

You will not be disappointed if you read what others have written on Repose. And there is still time to join if you would like. Mr. Linky is up for two weeks.

It was very surprising to see how many ways in which Repose was interpreted.

I have been working quite a bit lately and hope you will follow along as I take you on a month-long, pictorial tour of the local parks. I have shot many images and you will see the park as I see it. There is much more than the tourist areas to these parks, but I will slip some of those shots in as well. There are so many different views.

Today’s post features grasses in the meadows of Whirlpool State Park.

I am hoping you enjoy the park’s wild areas. They are my favorite spots to relax. Notice how the grasses are so varied in color and texture. The lighting dances off some and delicately touches others. The next post will show all the pastel colors the grasses have to offer.

We have been having rain almost daily and the temperature has been very comfortable in the seventies. The grasses are green and flowering. And again, please see all the posts for Word for Wednesday.

This entry was posted in photography, wild flower garden, Words for Wednesday and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to A Walk in the Grass

1. andrea says:

These are very beautiful photos of grasses, even the colors so different. That reclining green grasses I would have included in Repose if it was mine. We have lots of grasses here and i love them too, however the winds don’t seem to allow me shooting some close-ups, and i have very few moments to be with them in the province. I agree with you about the profound and wide range of meanings associated with Repose. I read and commented all of them, and they are surely delightful and inspiring. I personally am very grateful to you for making us think a bit more profoundly and put a little effort in choosing the photos. I confess, at the sight of the word i can’t seem to do something but as i go along i found more! Thank you Donna, now we hope for more. How about propinquity?

2. One says:

You have some beautiful weed and grass shots here. My favorite is the one with thousand of raindrops that you feel is relaxing. I wonder how they became that flat. It couldn’t have been Clifford.

Andrea is being naughty. She is the one complaining how hard your words are and I have been giving her words of encouragement. See what she suggests now?! Something not even in my vocab. Nevertheless, I enjoy your Word of Wednesday and I am sure many others do too.

• Andrea says:

hahaha, I just learned about it and still found it difficult, so i thought what better way for it to stick in my subconscious than if Donna makes it a Word for Wednesday. I had pondered on most of her words before i can find photos! And of course your inspiration keep me looking for them!

3. Christina says:

Great post, you kow how much I love all grasses, perhaps the best plant of them all? For the W4W, difficult to think of words that would work but everyone seems so inventive here are my ideas. Ethos, complete, falling (that opens of Fall (autumn) and things falling, and also all the colours which should illicit some interesting images. Christina

4. Barbie says:

Oh how I love grass…….!! Your beautiful way of capturing the true essence is so amazing. Inspiring – in fact! Thank you for sharing 🙂

5. Just fabulous! I keep coming back to your wonderful blog for ideas, I can’t believe I missed this on Repose… I will make sure I am signed up for email so I don’t miss anymore.

6. So many fabulous grasses and splendid shots! The lighting and the water drops on them are stunning!

7. Donna says:

I love watching the grasses fade this time of year. They finally come into flower and stay with us all winter. We have been dry but chilly here with a couple of days of frost. Warm weekend ahead though.

8. helensadornmentsblog says:

My favorite is the one where there are rain droplets all the way down the stem of the grass. Lovely shots.

9. HolleyGarden says:

Wonderful images of the grasses. I don’t have any grasses in my garden, but I do love the look of them. They bring such movement and life. That could be a word – movement. I’ve enjoyed participating in your W4W’s. With each word, I think I don’t have anything to offer, but something always comes to mind before the deadline. However, I’m already working on “evolution”!

10. Ginny says:

I’ve been enjoying the Word for Wednesday posts though I haven’t had a chance yet to post one of my own. Your images of the grasses are amazing. Each morning on my way to work I pass a large sweeping lawn and the sun is always reflecting off of the dew on the grass in such a way that it looks like glass. Oh, the wonders of light!

11. patientgardener says:

Lovely pictures. I have only just discovered your blog and am thinking about next weeks Wordy Wednesday post, its quite cerebral. I dont think I would have managed repose

12. Hey Lady! I love all of your images of the grasses…especially the little dew drops! Wonderful!

13. b-a-g says:

Donna – A beautiful, grassy thank-you note …. and I learnt a new word propinquity (thanks to Andrea)
    I really need to organise myself better to join in more memes. Will definitely do the next W4W, whichever one wins the vote.

14. Although I am not participating, I am really enjoying reading the posts on your words written by some of my favorite bloggers. You have really inspired bloggers to work hard on a theme and not just throw something out there. The various “takes ” on the word have been so different and creative.

15. Cat says:

After reading through and seeing all the lovely grasses, I really think they are one of my favorite plants. It bothers me that I don’t have more sun in which to grow them ;/ I’ve enjoyed reading others posts on repose too…very thoughtful and interesting. Especially the different perspectives and takes on the same word.

16. I love the seasonal interest that grasses provide in the landscape. That said though, our native grasses give me quite a headache. It’s the one group of plants that I find the most challenging to conclusively identify! My goal was to identify as many of them as possible this year. Thus far my total is one 😉 Oh well, I can always try again next year. Perhaps instead I should stop struggling to get to know them, and simply appreciate them, as you have here.

17. Joy says:

Donna these pictures are beautiful and more so to me because I am such a fan of ornamental grasses in the garden and of course in meadows .. Kingston has employed so many native flowers and grasses in their city landscaping and many residents of the inner city have gone that way too .. it is wonderful to see them used in so many different places !
    I love those rain drops on the blade of grass : )
    Joy

18. Alistair says:

Wonderful shots of the grasses Donna. Enjoy your fall days of 70f, starting to get chilly here at the moment.

19. I love that you focus here on the simple beauty of grasses which are around us all the time and really go unnoticed. A lovely celebration:~)

20. carolyn mullet says:

Yummy photos of my favorite season. The subtle beauty of fall. Wow!

21. You have brought out the beauty in these grassy areas. I also enjoyed all of the W4W-Repose posts. It is so very interesting to see how each person interprets the word. This meme really seems to bring out the best in all of us garden bloggers.

22. Garden Sense says:

Very nice capture of the subtle beauty of grasses. Appreciate the reminder to stop and enjoy the beauty around us in our busy world.

23. I love that last image Donna, it makes me want to lie down in the middle of that lovely tussocky grass and stare at the sky. Though I imagine I would get rather wet…