Literally, It’s Fall

I wanted to do this last year, but Fall is fast around these parts. Here today, gone tomorrow. With the weather changing and frozen mix predicted in the upcoming days, I got out with the camera to literally catch Fall in the act.

Catching the leaves before they hit the ground is one thing, but getting them stop action is another. The wind whips them or allows them to float gently. It is a waiting and guessing process. Anticipate where and how a leaf may fall, but be sure to be fast on the shutter.

They spin and twirl as they fall. Focusing is a trip. This leaf above, was less sharp than the maple leaf due to how fast it twirled, but I was still pretty happy to get the images. I only wish the leaves themselves were a bit more colorful and not so weather-worn.

Since we do have a short window to image Fall, I will have many more pretty images of our area this week.

The leaves are falling fast, but I did manage to capture color. On my street, the Norway Maples already are drying, browning and dropping. They are looking pretty raggedy.

There still is some leaf color in my garden which I will show shortly. Some flowers still remain too, but the trees around the area have a lot more interest.

I hope you stop back for more of Fall in Western New York.

This entry was posted in garden, Leaves of Fall, photography, photos and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Literally, It’s Fall

1. GirlSprout says:

The photos of the leaves dropping in mid-air are beautiful. And the juxtaposition of the yellow and red with the green of the conifers in the background is stunning in the last photo!

2. One says:

Those captures of leaves falling are amazing! I like the one twirling too. There are feelings evoked by the captures of these falling leaves.

3. Beautiful! I love the idea of capturing the leaves as they fall. You are fast with your shutter!

4. Cat says:

Pretty…what a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Donna, you never cease to amaze me. I cannot imagine how long it took to get these wonderful images. Fall is just way too quick around here, too. I wish it lasted longer. Amazing color and illumination in the scenes of the fall foliage.

6. Great captures of the falling leaves Donna, it must have taken a lot of patience, but worth it.

7. Very nice! Looks like a glorious day in Niagara!

8. elaine says:

Goodness me – how long did you have to wait to get those lovely shots – patience is definitely a virtue in your case.

9. Thanks everybody. I did have many, many failures and only got 6 usable images. What I did find was that parking at a particular tree, waiting and watching for a few minutes, you find a tree that is less affected by the wind and has lots of leaves falling. It seemed more a thing of luck too. The one spinning, I have no idea how I got that one the way it came out. I had the camera with pin point focus to one area and just happened to get the tip, but why it looked to have no movement I can not understand. It was a strange image.

10. Autumn Belle says:

How interesting to be able to catch FALL falling! Here, the leaves turns from green to yellow to brown, very seldom red. Autumn is beautiful indeed.

11. Very cool! Do you know about the Buffalo Photography Meetup Group? There was a meetup yesterday at Griffis Sculpture Park (an hour south of me in Cattaraugus County). I got some shots I’ve very pleased with. After the meetup, people post their shots on the site, which I still have to do.

12. Sherri B. says:

Beautiful shots, well worth the patience. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

13. Carolyn♥ says:

Oh you must have had such fun capturing those images! And I am so impressed with your patience. Don’t forget to add your thumbnail to the Autumn Walk Challenge.

14. esmeowl12 says:

Your photos are beautiful. Nothing like autumn leaves!

15. Donna says:

Now these are the unique, creative images I love that you do so well Donna…capturing falling leaves…how cool is that and the pics are gorgeous…you know I will be stopping back.

16. John says:

Very impressive that you were able to catch such images, and a testament to your camera dexterity that you were able to get good pictures.

17. HolleyGarden says:

Love your pictures of the falling leaves! I could imagine the float, twirl, twist and turns they took on the way down. Bravo!

18. What a great idea, so fun. Love the final photo. We are just starting in with fall color.

19. Indie says:

Gorgeous photos!! I love the dropping leaves ones. Very impressive!
    I love when the wind blows and it rains leaves! So pretty.

20. I thought of trying this as well but had not gotten around to it. You did a great job…the colors are amazing even in the act of the fall.

21. Marguerite says:

I think you must have spent an awful lot of time trying to capture those leafs falling through the air but the result is really lovely. We have so much wind here the leaves are either seen on the trees or not at all it seems.

22. Great photo’s. It’s always great when you can catch fall in action.

23. Kevin says:

I thought I fell in love with the Rudbeckia closeup on Green Apples — then I saw the falling leaf photos here, and now I feel like I’m cheating on Rudbeckia. Absolutely awesome.

24. I suspect my efforts to catch falling leaves in fall with the lens would be about as successful as capturing butterflies! I’m impressed to managed to snap them before they hit the ground, or floated away! I’m sure you have much more spectacular fall foliage there than we do. Most of our fall color at the moment is courtesy of the poison oak 😦

25. andrea says:

OMG Donna those are terrific captures! I love most specifically the yellow twirling leaf with the motion but the tip is fixed! I can imagine it is difficult, and I will not be able to do it, mostly because i don’t know where to focus. Is it just like waiting for a runner where it is already focused and you will just wait? That is a great challenge, which i don’t know how to do. You always get my head swirl, not only in thinking the post for W4S, but also in taking outstanding photos! Grrrrr. haha!

26. Jennifer says:

You have captured falling leaves perfectly. I love that last shot with the golden yellows in the foreground and the cool blues and greens in the background. It makes me think of a tapestry or a painting.

27. Amazing photos! I was looking for the line of a thread at first!

28. Denise says:

Beautiful! I like it a lot. You are so creative.

29. Wonderful to photograph the falling leaves!! Terrific photos. And getting them just where you want them in the camera–I know how that goes, as shooting flowers in the wind is similar. 🙂 Great catches here!

I really enjoy your photography! These shots are magical, just as the season is as it transitions to winter.

31. Mac_fromAustralia says:

Great photos! I would never have even thought to attempt that!