Fueling Fall With Colors of Warmth

Want to take a walk today? Let’s join Carolyn from This Grandmother’s Garden on our Autumn Walk Challenge.

Let’s start out sort of early, about 8 AM. Was this not an interesting sunrise over the City?

Off we go for a warm walk along the gorge. It is bright, I know. Or at least how it started out. It did gray up and rain a little, but the sun and blue skies returned.

A good wake-me-up is the reds of Virginia Creeper that reverberate during the gray sky rain.

Red tones come in different varieties of plants like the Sumac, above.

And red comes in many forms.

Even a downed tree that is red to the core.

The reds mix with golds.

And make our walk that much more a kaleidoscope of color.

Let’s grab a red and white snack while the sun is back shining above.

The golds glisten and are a nice foil to the blue sky.

But the reds are remarkable, even in the invasive plants like Buckthorn.

The oranges start to creep into the Oaks and Pin Oaks. This area has many of them too. They usually color a rusty-red.

And the leaves start to get confused what color to be.

But as the reds turn to russet and orange,

the leaves start to brown. It all happens so quickly.

But it is hard to ignore the vibrant vines as they are all over the park.

But as all is to be expected, Fall takes a turn and winter peeks in.

Cold rains come and will turn to an icy mix or wet snow if the reports are right, but winter is pretty here too.

Back to where we started at 6PM. No reds in the Norways this year. The leaves even look a little brighter wearing a coat of sunlight.

Really the walk was only about one half hour, and not all images were shot today, but I really wanted to add the sunrise and sunset which was today. The sun is going to be gone for a while here according to the weather reports, so it was worth getting a few photos.

If you have ever wondered what The Niagara Parks Department plants in the perennial beds, visit Green Apples, Bedding Plants at the Parks.

Entering Gail’s Wildflower Wednesday. She has some pretty wild color in her post today. So pretty too.

This entry was posted in Fall, garden, Nature, photography and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Fueling Fall With Colors of Warmth

1. planaquarium says:

Beautiful – stunning vivid colors. Thank you for sharing!

2. Lynn Rogers says:

what tree/bush is that w/ the cluster of red/orange berries? Is it a mountain ash, Sorbus something?

3. helensadornmentsblog says:

What a beautiful walk. Thanks for taking us bloggers with you.

4. Ginny says:

So beautiful, especially that first photo. This is why I love Fall so, so much – even though I know it will be gone too soon.

5. andrea says:

I’ve again walked with you today, and I remember those climbing vines when they were still green, the area where the boy scouts were! I still remember a wider angle of that 2nd photo when it was just starting to color. But that trunk which is red to the core, i just see now, and that sunset is outstanding. I am going there now, in my dream, to feed my soul.

6. One says:

My favorites are the reds mix with gold. Perhaps next year, I may be able to capture some. We have fall too. Rainfall to be exact.

7. Carolyn♥ says:

What a cheery walk you’ve taken us on… thanks so much for joining us! That fallen tree was quite amazing. Such deep reds. Don’t you just love Autumn?

8. Christina says:

This would have also been great for GBFD, we don’t really get much autumn colour here so I enjoyed yours very much indeed. Christina

9. Autumn Belle says:

The scenery you have captured here are as beautiful as I ever want it to be. I thought only trees turn red but it seems shrubs and even vines turn red.

10. Thank you for a dose of Autumn loveliness, those colours glow so beautifully, a far cry from the dull tired green that our trees are hanging on to.

11. elaine says:

To get a glimpse of where other bloggers spend their days is a real treat. Really enjoyed your walk.

12. TufaGirl says:

Enjoyed the reds. Fall is so beautiful, lets each plant show its true range.

13. Laurrie says:

Thanks! I had a great fall walk on this tour, sitting here at my computer! Now I need to get out and get moving myself. Your shots always make me look more closely at the scenes in my own world. I loved your prior post of falling leaves captured in flight.

14. HolleyGarden says:

Loved your take on reds. That virginia creeper is remarkable! It turns slightly red here, a little early in the season, then I don’t know what happens to it, but it is certainly not showy like that! Gorgeous. Makes me want to forgive it of its invasive nature – almost.

15. Donna says:

All the colors and sights of fall…stunningly beautiful and a feast for the eyes!!

We didn’t get out of our own backyard for most of the fall color season, so seeing this post cheers me up no end! With your usual magic you have captured the essence of Fall in all it’s majesty. The vines are really amazing climbing up into the trees; do the two co-exist peacefully, or is the vine a problem eventually? Around here we have grapevines that strangle their host trees, so I was wondering about the creeper.

Amazing post, Donna.

17. b-a-g says:

Donna – My autumn walk looks quite dull compared to the vibrant colours in yours. Love the red vines.

18. Barbie says:

Just love love the colours of your autumn. Thank you for sharing!!

19. What a walk for the senses! To see those lovely golds and reds of autumns and taste the apple harvest is the best possible day adventure. Thanks for the virtual trip.

20. Marguerite says:

I love the view down into that gorge, particularly with all the fall colours getting picked up in the sun. Spotted the ‘cranberry’ among your photos, red berries are so charming at this time of year.

21. You captured fall beautifully! That picture of the street at the end is so cool…so much character there!

22. You have so many beautiful areas to walk. I’m jealous.

23. Grace says:

Beautiful photos. I love the Virginia Creeper making its way up the trunks of the trees. Just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

24. Denise says:

That orange vine is beautiful!

25. Gail says:

That was just what I needed~We have lots of golds~not many reds~Thank you, it is so lovely. gail

26. Cat says:

The wide shot of the vines along the tree trunks is stunning! Great walk, Donna!

27. Dewi says:

How beautiful! I wouldn’t mind to walk religiously everyday, even, twice a day 🙂

28. Giga says:

Piękny spacer jak i śliczne jesienne widoki i zdjęcia. Pozdrawiam

29. Mac_fromAustralia says:

Gorgeous sunrise and I love the fall colours.

30. lula says:

Dona your images remind me why I love so much fall: all is about colors. i paid a visit to a botanical garden last Sunday, my todays post is special for you, but tomorrow I wil post some of the images from Sunday and the colors there were also spectacular, I love nature in fall!

31. What a STUNNING series, Donna. I especially liked the downed tree shot and the ivy-covered trees. –John