GBBD November – Photo BIG

Macro Style

There still is color in the garden, even after a light snow. The mums were very late to the party this year, and opened to a coating of snow.

Most of these images were photographed with my AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm 1:2.8 G lens. It is a difficult lens to use and I did have the camera on a tripod. I know I will learn to love it when I learn to use it, but right now we have a tepid relationship. Lighting a subject so close has its inherent difficulties, not to mention the extreme DOF that occurs when you are smack on top of a subject, something the lens can actually do well, but not me yet. This time of year is great for closeup photos, because that is where the beauty lies.

The Bloodgood Japanese Maple is really red this year and along with the pears, brought the red back into Fall.

All the Hosta are done for the year.

The Sedum has finished.

The Viburnum was the most colorful participant in the Fall show this year. Last year the Redspire Pear was the one changing its colorful canopy. The berries have been picked clean by the birds, but the leaves pulled vibrancy right into Fall.

My pear is turning vibrant orange, but I thought the pears at the Falls a richer color.

The Norway Maples are dressed in Lichen.

The Butterfly Bush seems to be beating the odds. But the pollinators are away for the season.

Puddles fill with leaves.

Had to show the mums again. They really are my favorite now.

The Carpet Roses are still blooming, but showing a weathered face.

Another Fall oddity, the lavender is still blooming, and was not cut back this year.

The Alyssum is reseeding, and getting a covering of leaves.

Sage is also a bit odd this time of year. It was cut back in July and has been blooming since. And what do we have here? When I was out raking leaves today this is what I find. A little self-seeded petunia. Poor guy, a struggle is ahead.

Linking with GBBD, and also with Seepferds Garten.

On November 16th, Word 4 Wednesday is Texture and Pattern. Texture and pattern are everywhere in the landscape, so feel free to add those GBBD and Foliage Followup posts. Link in and join along. My post is typical of a designer and will be posted Tuesday night. It has basics, tips and examples. But feel free to be creative too. Some of the most interesting posts were from those interpreting the W4W word.

This entry was posted in garden, Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, GBBD, photography, photos and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to GBBD November – Photo BIG

1. 7aces/Darla says:

Awesome macro shots here. I love, love that green mum!

2. Well I love your macro lens…wow is all I can say..the lichen picture is incredible…I was astounded at how long my lavender bloomed too…

3. Ginny says:

I’m in love with macro shots and yours are stunning! Hope to have time to contribute to Word 4 Wednesday. I’ve been reading along but haven’t been able to find the time to post yet.

4. I love the green mum too! How exciting to be experimenting with a new camera! I can’t wait to see more. You still have a lot going on in your garden despite the cold and snow. See you for W4W!

I have so many issues using my son’s macro lens especially since I’m not fond of photography with a tripod, but the tripod is necessary for me since I’m just not steady enough. It looks to me as if you have the technique down to a science, Donna!

6. John says:

Fantastic photos, I particularly enjoyed the lichen covered bark of the Norway maple, such great texture and color indeed.

7. Beautiful, beautiful shots Donna! Love the red leaf from the maple! Happy GBBD 🙂

8. Laurrie says:

I don’t think I’ve seen lichen photographed so beautifully before. What detail.. and who looks at lichen? That shot opened my eyes and made me study it. My favorite, though, is the artfully arranged viburnum leaves . . . color, pattern, texture, it has it all!

9. Christina says:

Great shots, you’ll soon love your lens

10. helensadornmentsblog says:

These are great. It looked like you did great with the Depth of Field. I love having the background just a little blurry.

11. Jeanette says:

Love your viburnum composition!
    Jeanette

12. Debbie says:

Wonderful photos! I especially love the collection of viburnum leaves. l agree that they are one of the most colorful and unexpected beauties of my fall garden. I have 5 different doublefile viburnums in my garden and am amazed at the different colors of all their leaves. Some are still green, others are deep purple and still others are in that yellow-orange-red phase that I adore.

13. One says:

Wonderful captures for GBBD! I was considering the macro lens and was advised that it would be easier to use the 100mm as there is no need to get that near the subject. Anyway, I got the zoom lens instead and now taking macros at a distance. 🙂

I like your colorful leaves; 5 colors in a frame. You seem to have a different version each year.

14. andrea says:

Wow Donna, you already got textures there, love most that bark with lichens. I wish i have a good macro or close-up lens as we have lovely subjects here too. That dying hosta leaf is also made so beautiful by your lens, or shall we say your eyes!

15. Cat says:

Welcome to the addiction, Donna! I have several lenses but whenever I switch out to something other than my macro, I long for it! Beautiful captures, as always!

16. Carolyn♥ says:

Love that petunia… I found one peeking out from my Dogwoods last week during fall clean up. Amazed that everything around it was frozen… how it escaped I don’t know.

17. Bernieh says:

So many exquisite shots, but I do so love the one with the different coloured autumn leaves.

18. You’ve taken me to a very happy place with those beautiful photos Donna. I particularly love the mums, the green is wonderful. Happy GBBD!

19. Susan says:

Wow! Incredible images and your site is so clear and clean. I just started a blog at WordPress and I have a lot to learn from you! Susan @ http://www.DiggingDakota.com.

20. Traudi says:

wunderschöne Fotos!!
    liebe Grüße aus dem Drosselgarten von Traudi

21. Alberto says:

Very nice pictures, I especially enjoyed the one of the bark. I really like those green (like envy!!!) mums.

22. HolleyGarden says:

Love the lichen, and the viburnum leaves. Nature is truly amazing, and I think the closer we look, the more amazing it becomes.

23. A green flower gets my favorite vote every time! Pretty post. 🙂

24. hb says:

Another green mum lover here. Wow, they are fabulous! Happy Bloom Day!

Your macro photos really do open up another world! there is so much to appreciate in the details we overlook. I was thinking I wish I had taken some closer shots of my Japanese maple leaves, though my camera doesn’t have the macro capability of your lens.

26. Jennifer says:

Happy GBBD! Blooms are scarce in November for those of us in more northern climates. I agree it is the perfect time to focus in and do closeups. I like your lime colored mum- it’s a nice change from the standard mums.

27. Malinda says:

The bark is my favorite! What amazing color and texture. I love macro photography, it reveals a new way of looking at life and it’s surroundings.

28. Gail says:

Delightful macros. I love them…and looking into the heart of flowers. Happy GBBD. gail

29. Veronica says:

Oh wow!! my mouth is hanging open…why? Cos I am a novice photographer of the aim and shoot variety…and these images are amazing!!

30. Veronica says:

Hi sorry forgot to leave my details…above…my mouth is now closed!

31. Marguerite says:

Great photos, I really like the viburnum leaves. I’m itching to buy a macro lens but that will have to wait another day when there aren’t house repairs to make. In the meantime I’ll oggle your photos instead.

32. Scott Weber says:

Gorgeous photos…you are going to have SO much fun with that new lens 😉

33. Les says:

They are all lovely, but that first shot is special.

34. Mac_fromAustralia says: