Month In Tens – November’s Simple Things 11-20

Image from a local Air Force base. Our proud men and woman who serve and protect.

Remember what it was like to just enjoy the day? Jump for joy for no apparent reason?

Our furry friends are some of the best friends to have.

The foxglove that refuses to die back. Dogged perseverance.

Sometimes being ordinary is really being extraordinary.

Watching the sun rise and set on the Magnolia.

A simple leaf catches the eye when the light shines through.

The cloud-filled sky glows as the sun sets, making a pretty tree-lined silhouette. I climbed a large pile of crusher-run at the farm to take this and many more early evening images.

Now these are images that you can only wish you had the right lens on your camera. Everyone was taken without the telephoto, unfortunately, but I was still pretty happy to see the ducks, vultures, and hawk first hand at the lake, the gorge and the parkway.

The image above is not unlike the painting I did below. It is a copy of Georgia O’Keeffe’s oil, The Lawrence Tree in 1929. My version was painted on my bulletin Board in my office. I do paint everything it seems. I took acrylics that were left over from other more serious work, combined them and for no reason other than a whim, painted a large piece I liked. I used a different blue because that is what I had and wanted to use up.

This entry was posted in Month in Tens, Nature, photography, photos, Trees and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Month In Tens – November’s Simple Things 11-20

1. Donna the image of evening is so beautiful…and the birds are still incredible without the telephoto lens…wonderful to put picture to words of gratitude…

2. Hey Donna,
    Love that tree shot. Interesting observation — does that tree not have a central leader? It looks like there are three huge limbs coming off the main trunk but nothing in the center. Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting so often. Do you sleep, woman?? I get so busy sometimes and just can’t find the time to post or visit or comment as much as I’d like. And I know my schedule does not hold a candle to yours. Things are beginning to slow down here and I will appreciate the simple things again — like getting to plant some pansies today, watching the leaves fall, feeling the cool in the air, taking a nap! It really IS the simple things in life that are the best 🙂 As always…enjoying your blog. One of these days I will participate in the W4W!!

3. Martha says:

Lovely post. Very upbeat and warm on this cold night.

4. One says:

The simple things in life are beautiful if we stop and pay attention. I am glad you did and shared them with us.

5. Andrea says:

…and as we always read “the best things in life are free”! I can fully relate to whatever photos that do not seem to be nice, we always remember the real ones in our head, the real ones we saw. What we share will be for others, those left in our heads are for us alone, for posterity. By the way, you must look at my post today, LOL.

Perfect post for Thanksgiving week. The simple things are the best. All the images are perfect, I can’t pick my favorite. Your tree painting is amazing, it captures the feeling of a November evening.

7. Christina says:

Great post, we should never lose sight of what is amazing in our lives, thanks for reminding us. Christina

8. This is a really wonderful post Donna – So much detail and effort in each and every image, you’ve outdone yourself with this one! My favourite is “Jump for joy, for no reason at all”… a wonderful reminder to act childlike every now and again!

9. HolleyGarden says:

I love this post. It’s truly the simple things that bring us joy.

10. b-a-g says:

If I jumped for joy, I would probably end up twisting my ankle …
    Looking forward to seeing more photos of those hawks & vultures.

11. Your Simple Things pictures would make great notecards! I really love them. I love Georgia O’Keefe and saw a wonderful exhibit about her a few years back at my favorite DC art museum, The Phillips Collection. Great copy! I can barely draw stick people. 🙂

12. I’m rather partial to bland…but then again, lately I seem to spend an absurd amount of time photographing fungi thanks to all the recent rains. A simple thing in life I enjoy immensely. I love your Lawrence tree, it’s a very good copy. I almost dragged my old acrylics out the other day, inspired by all the fall color, but with my limited artistic abilities on that front, I tend toward the more…how should I put it…abstract! As I have a few blank canvases around though, maybe I should see what transpires…

13. Grace says:

Great photos! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

14. nathan says:

thanks for your post on my site. I think I’ve sorted the issues regarding blotanical now (thanks to Stuart)
    your site is a great read.

15. Indie says:

Awesome painting! I don’t know much about art, but I love how the moon is shining through.
    It is the little things that make life so special and dear. Happy Thanksgiving!

16. Greg says:

Less is more. Thanks for your passion.

17. Blimey Donna – the strength of your images has quite shut me up.