Thanksgiving Saved a Turkey

Not exactly, but the fare for the day in my household was Prime Rib for a change of holiday menu. The meal included shrimp cocktail, twiced-baked potato, seasoned with chives and paprika, buttered corn on the cob, butter roasted brussel sprouts, and fruited cheese cake for dessert.

Mr. and Mrs. Phineas Gnome, local Niagara Falls gnomes, celebrated Thanksgiving as well, dressed traditionally as their ancestors from Plymouth, England. They picked beautiful red corn for the occasion to honor the first grain grown by the Pilgrim gnomes. Their holiday menu consisted of Red Pistachio nuts, agaric toadstool, beetroot soup (see arignagardener for some beetroot recipes), cardinal eggs, red corn and strawberries. Get the theme here? All the food is red. I snapped their photo in costume for you to see. This is rare for a gnome to be seen in attire other than is typically worn daily.

Here is a little history of those Plymouth gnomes. They arrived in 1620 aboard the Mayflower after leaving Plymouth, England with 102 religious separatists. Gnomes are secular, but like those individuals sharing passage to the New World, they were seeking freedom of a new home where they could freely practice their way of life in this new land.

Many of the English gnomes suffered through a hard first winter, the same as the Pilgrims, and numbers of them, people and gnomes alike, succumbed to contagious disease. An English-speaking Patuxent Native American gnome taught the newly arrived English gnomes how to cultivate corn, extract sap from maple trees, befriend fish in the local rivers, learn the language of the native wildlife, and avoid poisonous plants. These are all skills that are well-known by gnomes of today. In fact, the gnomes had their first successful corn harvest the following year, with a celebratory feast to follow. This was considered the first Thanksgiving. It is little known, and not written in the history books, but the gnomes dined with the Pilgrims and Native American Indians that first Thanksgiving.

Hope your Thanksgiving was filled with unexpected fun and invited friends too!

Gnome Photoshop paintings by GWGT , the above painting from last Thanksgiving, click the image for the post, Gnome Saving the Turkey.

The Word 4 Wednesday is Accidental,  garnering the most votes. The Patient Gardener kindly submitted the Word 4 Wednesday for November 3o. I was going to post things that were accidents on job sites, but changed my mind. You will see an unexpected Accidental here at GWGT for Wednesday.

This entry was posted in Gnomes, Holidays and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Thanksgiving Saved a Turkey

1. Donna, sounds like you had a lovely Thanksgiving! I think it is fun to change the menu up sometimes. We often do that at Christmas. Enjoyed the Gnome story!

2. TufaGirl says:

So happy to hear of your change to the holiday fare. I tried a couple years ago and the in-laws were a bit disappointed (that is the word I will use). Cute history behind the gnomes.

3. Jennifer says:

Hi Donna, Happy Thanksgiving! Your holiday feast sounds delicious, although a tad traditional in comparison to that of Mr. and Mrs. Phineas Gnome, which included such delicacies as cardinal eggs and agaric toadstool. Your artwork is great! Love that last image especially. Have a great weekend!

4. b-a-g says:

I always wondered how gnomes featured in the history of America – now I know.
    I like your painting at the end, I actually thought the turkey was a photograph at first, it’s so life-like.

5. HolleyGarden says:

Your menu sounds wonderful! I’ve had Italian food for Thanksgiving, Mexican food for Thanksgiving, and we had pork tenderloin this year. Can you tell I’m not a big fan of turkey? Loved reading about the red meal of the gnomes! Cute pics – how nice of the gnomes to pose for you!

6. Lona says:

I like the change of menu and it sounds yummy. I hope you had a good Thanksgiving. I am loving the Pilgrim and Indian Gnomes. LOL! How cute.

7. So digging your artwork….thanks for the chuckle! Your menu sounded delightful! Happy Thanksgiving Donna!

8. I love the idea of native and Pilgrim gnomes! So funny. 🙂 Your dinner sounds delicious. There will be 19 people here tomorrow for our Saturday Turkey Day. The more, the merrier! I love the word Accidental for W4W. It’s so appropriate for gardening. I’m going to post a W4W post this week in with my Thankfulness Challenge posts.

9. One says:

Love your drawings! Accidental is an interesting word. Look forward to your Accidental post.

10. John says:

I always enjoy a good gnome story. Their presence must have made for an extra entertaining Thanksgiving dinner. Did they sit at the kiddie table? Or did they have their own gnome table?

11. Cute story Donna and great paintings..we of course have to have the traditional… I have had wild turkey which is actually the real turkey and it tastes amazing…now we have organic, natural, no hormones etc, etc…also tastes much better…glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving…

Donna, now I know how English gnomes came to be in this country. I did not realize there were indigenous gnomes here even before the Pilgrims, but now it all makes sense.

I’ll bet your holiday meal was delicious. We broke with tradition too. We didn’t have turkey.

It was chicken.

13. Happy Thanksgiving to you from Ireland. We don’t have it here but this year we had a thank you day which was full of gratitude. Your gnomes are a bit like leprechauns, I wonder are they cousins:~)

14. Great menu – and thank you for explaining about the gnomes, I had wondered…