A Mash-Up Post of Topics

A Recap of Month in Tens…. if you missed any. And I was contacted with a proposition, can you believe? Keep reading…. And, there is a photo project a’ brewing, so read the last few paragraphs if I have your curiosity up. It is all about Shooting the Ordinary. Words on By Design, Our W4W word is noted too and has a big change coming. So much on the horizon, so much to say!

The link to the 1 to 10 post. Just go to the original post to make any image larger or to read the ‘why’ behinds the images.  All 30 Simple Things are compiled in this post in a thumbnail format.

The link to the 11 to 20 post. I was approached on making these into posters for sale. Also, having some of my photos and computer art mounted and made available. Do you think they have salable potential? It was suggested that I write all the caption text that appeared in the post directly on the images to further explain why these photos are Simple Things. Maybe???

The link to the 21-30  post. I really enjoy photography and am thinking about the offer.

The Story Behind an Image

The next theme for Month in Tens is Shooting The Ordinary. I keep going back to the phrase from my little mushroom, “Sometimes being ordinary is really being extraordinary.” And what do I mean, you might ask?

Interesting photos can be created when the photographer (real ones) shows off the object in its best light. Not just literal light, but as understanding, mystery, or enlightenment. What I noticed about my little mushroom from November 15, besides that it was tiny and out of season, was how it held its own in a mass of fall color, by just being delicate and bland, a contrast to that which surrounded it. I saw a strength in that little mushroom and a determination, even though it had a bite taken out. It looked to stand tall and reach for a beam of light. A lot of something for a little fungus. But what it did, was capture my attention, and I saw a reason to make it that much more important.

This means unveiling or demonstrating in a photograph the subject’s curve, form, color, pattern, or texture that makes it stand out and be admired. That is what happened to my very ordinary mushroom, I looked a lot closer and studied its diaphanous form, emotionless color, yet, silky texture. It was simple and somewhat beautiful in that simplicity. To reinforce the delicacy, I zoomed in close and gave the image soft focus.

Shooting the ordinary forces one to study the object from many angles, varying the camera technique, and possibly frame it in non-traditional ways to capture interest. Of course, a good technique is to move in really close and see the details so as to lose the overall form in the detail and reveal an unseen substance of character. Not much of this is evident in my mushroom, but is something to further explore for the next Month in Tens in January. So you might try Shooting the Ordinary. It really lets you see a subject in a whole new way. And seeing is the key.

This was a photo project we had in a college photography course. It was also used in an art class where we took an ordinary object and studied it until we saw an extraordinary beauty. We were instructed to capture the essence. My ‘beautiful ordinary’ was a corkscrew, well you had to see how I executed the work to understand, because it was all from a unique view and vantage point. I did have an advantage here as I was being paid to be an illustrator at the time (to help pay for my private college tuition), so my corkscrew was rocking.

So what does this have to do with gardening? Not that much if gardening is only gardening, like just plopping in a perennial. If you think in terms of design in a holistic manner, it means so much more. You see it from many perspectives and angles, which opens possibilities with fresh approach.  You don’t have to understand the principles, you just have to learn a better way to see, and a way to feel what is right. The rest comes naturally and easily. Good design is inherent, just waiting to be unearthed. Ha, a gardening pun!

Good design affects all aspects of life, where everything is By Design, even Accidental Design or Nature’s Design. So that leads into my next topic….

W4W

Word 4 Wednesday will be moving to the fourth Wednesday of every month only. It is such an interesting meme having the most creative posts by bloggers, that I want to give everyone ample time to consider their post or think about joining.

Let’s do an easy one, and one that is apt worldwide. The W4W word is Weathering. Think about the effects that weather has on materials, earth, people and plants, where something becomes weathered. Also, look at weathering over time. It is the great equalizer, bringing back to a state of nonexistence. Weathering can transform and reshape. Weathering has mystery and a limitless effect. This one is easy to show in beautiful photos. It is an easy one to get philosophical or melancholy about also. Oh, the possibilities for December 28th and the end of a year.

Accidental was our previous W4W. See how that word was handled with interest and creativity by folks joining the meme.

Next Post

The next post is by request. I was asked to show how I make Kissing Balls for Christmas, a job I have at Erway’s Christmas Tree Adventure. Last year I showed wreath making, so it only seems fitting to include the Kissing Balls. It is really simple but they take time. After, I will show the kids enjoying the fun at the farm and all the cool things they offer. See Green Apples, The Buck Stops Here for some pretty photos of the deer at the farm. The kids are feeding the does too!

See, I told you I had a lot to say and some stuff was in store!

This entry was posted in garden, Month in Tens, Nature, photos, Photoshop and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to A Mash-Up Post of Topics

1. Laurrie says:

Yes, your photos and captions are poster-worthy for publication! Of course you should be honored and of course you should do it. Your photos and the stories / thoughts that go into them are the thing I enjoy about your blog, and large size posters and mounted images would definitely be salable. Way to go!

2. Greg says:

Sounds like a plan.

3. b-a-g says:

Donna – Congratulations ! on being approached for your posters. You deserve it.
    The little mushroom can certainly teach us something.

4. One says:

It’s so exciting to hear that you have received a proposition for your Month in Tens! Congratulations! They are beautiful and unique too.

5. I agree – yet come to a different conclusion in regard to my own gardening.

I am useless at overall design – at least in relation to the space I have available and the size of my pocket. Therefore, the zooming in and close inspection you describe opens a huge world with each separate plant. I wish I were able to have a clearer plan for the whole (I did – but some plants got out of hand and I dug them up so the scheme disintegrated and has not yet re-cohered) but, since I don’t, I find there’s masses and masses to see in my garden, even though to others it may seem a small and nondescript plot.

6. Alistair says:

Loved your post Donna, rejoice! nothing to even think about, of course your photos and all that goes with them are worthy of publication. (Congratulations)

7. Joy says:

Donna girl these are simply beautiful and well put !
    This is the style I love .. not overwhelming but so gorgeous when you take the time to really see what you are looking at : )
    You go girl !!
    Thank you for stopping by my blog and your kind comments .. I appreciate it especially now getting through a rough patch !
    Joy (no snow here …. yet !)

8. John says:

Congratulations on the offer to commercialize your photos, I think they would make great posters. I’m trying to get my act together in time to create a W4W post and the additional time will be of great use.

9. Just a little confused – do we need to submit TEN photos for the W4W or just one?

• It is up to you Karen. There are no rules, so however you want to look at Weathering is up to you. Some bloggers write out a post, some do it in images, some, even poetry. There have been very creative ways to address the Word 4 Wednesday.

Month in Tens is not a meme, mainly because there is a lot of photos taken each day to select one. It is a lot of fun to do and I make a theme to make taking the photos more interesting. I found that out making the first Month in Tens post, when I posted things and places the occurred where I was at each day of the month.

W4W started because other bloggers thought it a good idea. Really, I started it for images, but it morphed into posts with many words, my own posts included. It was to be simple and it turned into anything but. This turned out to be a real plus too, like I said mainly from other bloggers. Having it every two weeks was a bit much, because a lot of time and creativity went into these posts. They seem to be pretty popular too, judging from the traffic the first day of the post is getting, and the interest on Blotanical. I hope I cleared up the confusion.

10. Thx for sharing all this and especially for doing the Kissing Ball post..I already have my post idea ready for the 28th…perfect W4W…as far as your photos being salable…are you kidding??? Absolutely so get on it and make the decision…new pathways on the horizon…love the idea of shooting the ordinary although in winter snow is so ordinary…we shall see…

11. HolleyGarden says:

Congratulations on the offer! Yes, yes, yes – definitely. I think your pictures would make particularly great motivational posters for offices, etc. Of course, they would look good elsewhere, too. I like the posters that have the caption written on them in your writing, for example, “child like joy”. Just enough to make the point, and make someone look again. I think the word “weathered” is perfect for the end of December. I also appreciate the extra time to think about my post.

12. Congratulations on the offer Donna – and this is the first time I’ve seen your posters. Photography certainly opens up a new world to be explored and I’m going to try and join up with your WW4 very soon.

13. Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I did respond and am going to set up a meeting. Another photographer is involved too. It will be great to sit down and have a chat. I already stated that I am not a professional photographer and was a bit hesitant as to who would want images by an amateur. My friend who is setting this up, wrote this back. “People don’t buy a picture because it was done by a “professional. They buy a picture because they like the picture.” I think that is a good point I certainly overlooked. She also noted that “all you need to become a professional is sell something”. I already have sold some photos, but never looked at it that way, since I was hired to take photos at an event. My strong point is graphics and photography is coming along for the ride a bit, as I am still learning much, like in my birds in flight post.

The logistics of the endeavor have to be discussed, ie. printing, mounting, marketing, etc. so I am hopeful we can work it out. I just wanted some feedback from readers because I value your thoughts.

14. As I have said repeatedly, your photography is amazing. I love the simple things series, and they will make excellent posters. I am glad W4W is now once a month–maybe I will actually be able to do one. I thought of a great post for Accidental but couldn’t fit it in the queue. My 2012 calendar is done and I am very happy with it. Hard to communicate how professional it looks because I think self-published calendars were generally low quality in the past.

15. Indie says:

What an exciting proposition! Your photos are amazing, and they would look awesome as posters! I hope it all works out well for you!

16. Cat says:

The proposition of selling your posters sounds promising! Congratulations!

17. Andrea says:

Gogogo Donna, we like to think that we have been a part of this escapade. So we are most happy for the success of your photography hobby, and you are one of our inspirations!

18. Congratulations on being “discovered”!