Niagara Falls Garden Magazine is Back – Pages 22-40

A Photographic, Artsy Look at Ice and Frost

These Pretty Patterns in the Landscape are Anything but Dull, Even if Found in a Muddy Puddle. Take a stroll in my garden, on the Farm and at the Falls. The ice is different in all these places. See more of the magazine on December 15.

Make sure to stop back, more in store on December 15

This entry was posted in Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, GBBD and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Niagara Falls Garden Magazine is Back – Pages 22-40

1. One says:

I love the texture and patterns in these photos. I’m intrigued by many of them… page 24. 26, 29, 31, 33… Great captures and great eye too.

2. HolleyGarden says:

Very pretty. It looks like Niagara Falls has been abandoned! 34 is my favorite.

• Holley, I love when the park is like ‘mine’. The park remains open year round, but the tourist traffic drops dramatically. I like most when I am there alone, which happens quite a bit as the temps drop. I think it is such a pretty landscape coated with ice and snow. Like I showed in the post, the ice forms due to the mist of the Falls. Through the winter, the patterns of ice change as more and more builds up. Spring will roll around again and the large expanses will fill up again with turf grass, native grasses and wildflowers. Summer comes and it is a madhouse with people, so much so, that the beauty gets a little obliterated. The park state police are there year round too, so it gives me some semblance of safety. When I was there yesterday for the sunny images, an officer started his siren. I thought he meant it for me because the bridge I was on was was a sheet of ice. Then he drove up because I was looking strangely at him and he told me he saw a guy perilously to the edge. This is why he sounded the alarm. I am surprised the guy did not fall in scared by the loud siren. Someday I will do a post on these crazy people. I have images of them doing the stupidest things around the Falls.

3. Grace says:

Absolutely beautiful photos. Winter has its own beauty and you’ve depicted it wonderfully. I’ll click on the Blotanical link and see what’s up. Thanks for the heads up.

4. Bom says:

Beautiful pictures, Donna. I need help figuring out some of the patterns, though.

p.s. Can I grab p.36 to promote on my FB page and blog?

5. Jeanette says:

Donna, I like the mystery evoked in the mist. It is hard to chose a favorite in the sunsets. All of them. What is the bejeweled? Grass? I like your capture. It looks very, very slippery.
    Jeanette

• Yes, it is the individual grass blades encased in thick ice. The entire area with the trees are acres and acres of ice formed this way. And on top of the bead-like ice field, drops the ice covering of the trees. What is coming up in the magazine and for Word 4 Wednesday on the 28th, is the change of temperature effect that the ice goes through and what it does to the trees. When the sun hits the ice-encased trees, the sun side goes through expansion and contraction. The warm side splits and breaks bark and limbs. These trees are some of the most abused trees around, just by their proximity alone. These conditions are very harsh, both with the ice and the winds, all thanks to the Falls.

6. Grace says:

Hi Donna, Yes. I’ll definitely post the Big 6. And you got some of them!

7. elaine says:

Beautiful winter shots and so unusual – they make me want to put on another layer of thermal underwear just looking at them.

8. Christina says:

I was shivering looking at some of your great images. Snow and ice certainly are artsy but truely beautiful. Christina

9. Donna I love how the ice formed all over the Falls area…an unusual ice I have not seen before….love the many images…

• Donna, it is unlikely you would see this pattern of ice on the grass. The constant mist just keeps layering it up over and over. By the end of winter, it will be a thick blanket and not the cute marbles-like look of this week. I am surprised the grass blades take this heavy coating and still remain upright. I should have taken a extreme close up to show the skinny blade inside the ice. Maybe clicking to see the images larger will show it somewhat.

10. Frost, snow ice, who would have guessed I would miss them so much….

11. Another gorgeous issue. I was going through thinking wow it’s really winter there when I remembered that you get all that ice from the spray from the falls. the patterns are wonderful.

12. Beautiful wintery views! I love looking at the patterns in the ice, but I know how tricky ice can be photograph too. Love the photos. So far I’m grateful it hasn’t quite been that cold here, but the nights are starting to get a little frosty!

13. Dee says:

Beautifully done. The icy photos are among my favorites, but they make me so cold. So lovely.~~Dee

14. b-a-g says:

I thought I knew what frost looked like until I saw this post. Well done for advertising Blotanical V2.

15. andrea says:

hi Donna, they are all totally artsy! And for someone who hasn’t been into these scenes in person (remember we don’t have winter here), it is like looking at another planet, in another solar system, e.g. the biker in a sea of icicles page 38. Most of these scenes i haven’t seen in someone’s photos yet, and i also love the lights.

All of these images are stunning! My favorites are 28, the guy on the bike, 39, and 40. They are all works of art. Makes me wish for a little frost, though I am a total wimp when it comes to cold weather.

17. Wow, that is a lot of ice! I would think the most challenging part of photographing would be keeping your fingers warm so you can operate your camera! Stunning images…I particularly like the photos with the trees. They are so dramatic! We will be heading north in a few days and I was hoping for some nice winter shots but it looks like they are having a December heatwave. I may be out of luck.

18. A wonderful issue, I love the daisies on ice!! Number 23 is my favourite. We don’t get snow here where I live (except high on the mountains maybe for a few days each year) so I actually envy you this season. I love snow which I only get to experience every few years if I visit Europe in winter. Lovely, lovely spread Donna, thanks for sharing your “snow” with me 🙂

19. Jennifer says:

Your photography is just amazing in this post. I especially like all the shots of the ice.

20. AnneTanne says:

Your pictures are so beautiful!
    Is it so cold yet around Toronto? Only two months ago I was there, and at that time temperatures were about the same as in Belgium…
    (I was there only 5 days, and for work, but had the opportunity to make a trip to the Niagara Falls.)