Feuding Cardinals

…and not the robe wearing kind.

The female.

The male, stomping mad.

Both males in a showdown.

Two females in a battle.

Female goes after the male.

The poor sap is none to happy and back in the tree.

This entry was posted in Birds, Cardinals and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Feuding Cardinals

1. Stacy says:

I’ve always thought the females were so gentle because of their coloration… I’ve never seen one looking quite so ready to tell me what’s what, though, either. There isn’t much about a northeastern winter that I miss, I’m afraid, but cardinals and chickadees I do. That top photo is priceless.

2. John says:

The red of the cardinals looks incredible against the backdrop of snow. Amazing pictures as always.

3. I love cardinals and miss them. It’s been seven years, but I can still remember what their call sounds like. Your animal photography has been really been excellent. The colors in these images really pop. Nice.

4. Your pictures are incredible! The first picture is amazing!!! I could almost feel those fluffy featehers in my hands. Your captions had me chuckling. I have a lot of cardinals and they can definitely be feisty. But I’m convinced chickadees are the bad asses of the bird world. I’ve seen them fly together in a small flock to drive away bigger birds.

5. Nest nabbing? Seed stealing? Wonder what the conflict was about? Reminds me…I need to put some seed out so I can attract a few cardinals to come closer 🙂 So pretty.

6. Victor Ho says:

Great shots of the cardinals. We have them in the winter as well. Lisa puts out the bird feeder. Then it’s a battle to outwit the squirrels. I have often wondered how the bright red color must mark the birds as a target. But among the bushes the red fades and the males do indeed hide out successfully. No snow for me yet. But I suppose it’s never to early for the feeder. Tell your cardinals there are bigger things than feuding.

7. I’ve never seen these birds before! They are lovely!

8. Introducing birds from one country into another would probably be wrong. They might not survive. They might take over! But ever since I first saw pictures of cardinals (which was not until I started blogging) I’ve wished we had them here.

9. elaine says:

Amazing shots – beautiful against the snow.

10. Those are beautiful birds, their red a bright contrast with the snow. That female is quite a character, isn’t she? The only colourful birds I see in my garden are yellow ones, but haven’t managed to photograph them.
    Thanks for your lovely comment on my hibiscus post.
    Rosie

11. Christina says:

I’ve never seen these birds before, they are such a wonderful colour and your images against the snow (which I know are never as easy to achieve as you make them seem) are perfect; thanks for sharing this fabulous bird. Christina

12. Les says:

Cardinals are one of my favorite native birds. They have such a nice song, both sexes are nicely colored and it is our state bird. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos.

13. Boy when birds are mad….I can attest to even the smallest birds beating up bigger birds…the cardinals look gorgeous against the snow…

14. Rose says:

I’ve always loved cardinals, and I’ve seen them courting and being “lovey-dovey”, but I’ve never seen them being aggressive like this. Amazing photos!

15. Bridgetidget says:

Such gorgeous pics!

16. TufaGirl says:

Those photos are stunning. Nothing prettier than cardinals in the snow. Thanks for sharing.

17. Hey Donna,
    It’s been a while but it’s great to see your cardinal pictures. I’m not surprised male cardinals defend their territory but it was great for you to document those girls going at it. Thank you for the insight and images.

18. GirlSprout says:

What a great story. They are so animated in your shots!

19. sherryocala says:

What a story your photos tells. That first photo is gorgeous. I love the colors. We have cardinals here, too – so beautiful. Great post.

20. Barbie says:

I love your photos of the cardinals. I remember them from my childhood living in Richmond, Va. I was born in the USA and left for South Africa when I was 13 years old. So I have fond fond memories of the birds on the playhouse roof in winter – cardinals and blue jays!

21. Cat says:

Your photos tell such a story of sweet antics among the cardinals! They are beautiful against the snowy backdrop!

22. tina says:

Simply splendid and a great symbol of the holiday season. Happy Holidays to you!

23. I love your “bird” posts! These photos are stunning, as are the Cardinals.

24. I never realized what expressive little faces cardinals have until I started seeing your photos. They could all be in middle school.

25. Beautiful shots of our Ohio state bird!