Month in Tens Preview Calendar

The Month in Tens is going to be documenting the weather in my garden for 2012. There will be days that I am unavailable to be home to photograph, but I will have a designated photographer snap the images of the garden on those days and record the time and temperature. The photographs of the garden will be in the Month in Tens post to enlarge. Here they are just being cataloged.

Berries (Crabapple shown) are a January staple for wildlife.

It is a little experiment to watch the weather, rather than just talking about it abstractly like I have been doing. I know the weather seems atypical, but at least this way I will know day by day with images as to what it is doing to the plants, wildlife and garden. It is fun too! I hope you agree.

Cherry bark is visually interesting in texture and color.

Just a little hint what is to come in Month in Tens with this post. Month in Tens is a post within a post. Notice the calendar above? See the rose buds and the ROBIN?

The calendar pages are from a calendar I did in 2006 for clients. I just adapted it to 2012 with new images and events.  The text blocks were just added for the client’s use, but feel free to click and enlarge to read them if you wish. The tips are more suited to our WNY area. See a new month in the calendar each Month in Tens.

An ordinary shipping skid with just a touch of snow and light becomes unrecognizable.

Month in Tens theme is Shooting the Ordinary and will be posted January 10 in the evening. It is a photographic pictorial of ordinary things and places of each day, just seen a bit differently.

This entry was posted in garden, Month in Tens, photos and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Month in Tens Preview Calendar

1. Sheila says:

I’m intrigued by the Month in Tens idea. Mind if I experiment with it, too? Or is the idea copyrighted 🙂 I think it will be an excellent exercise in photographing the ordinary daily as well as keeping track of the weather in a more systematic way.

2. This sounds really interesting. Looking forward to tomorrow’s post.

3. bumblelush says:

I like the Month in Tens idea. It would be nice to see how conditions change year-over-year on the same day that month. I also like the garden tasks for the month that are listed in the calendar above. I look forward to following your posts!

4. Donna – you hive of activity. Love this but whqt is an ordinary shipping skid>

5. andrea says:

This picture of your ‘ordinary shipping skid’ is lovely, who would think of showing it that nice! Good Catherine asked about it, I would have done the asking.

6. Grace says:

This sounds fun. Love your photography!

7. elaine says:

Looking forward to the rest of this series – must say, you certainly work hard at your blog. Well done you.

8. Christine says:

I love the photograph of the Cherry bark, its amazing to me how one can find beauty everywhere in nature! Love the series Donna! Always fun to see what you do.

9. I like the idea of photographing something ordinary in a different way…making it extraordinary (which your photos are)! Looking forward to your series of photographs!

10. One says:

Wow! You have a blogging calendar. How systematic! I always love your months in Tens. Looking forward to your unique photos.

11. I’m surprised that the crab apple picture is of crab apple. Is it really or is the name ‘crab apple’ given to a different plant in North America from what I’d expect? (Or am I up the wrong tree?)

• It can be written crabapple or crab apple, both ways are acceptable. The small crab apples in the image are from a tree at my friend’s nursery. I am unsure the variety because the tree is very old. He grows so many of the 35 species and 700 cultivars. Some are very tiny like ‘Pink Princess’. I have Royal gem in my backyard and it gets bigger apples than the full sized tree shown, yet the tree will only be about five to eight feet tall and wide. ‘Spring Snow’ is popular because it has negligible fruiting, but the apples are what makes the tree really desirable to us and the wildlife.

12. Love the calendar…looks like my Google calendar with all the notes. Thx for pointing me to the W4W. Took me a while to figure out what it was going to be about. It will be my 100th post so can we say “perfect timing”. I love that you are going to check out the weather. it is a great idea. So strange this year. I may plan to do this in spring my favorite season as March starts and we count down to spring…It would be fun to do this one time together for a month and compare notes on our blogs at the end of the month. I am planting a native cherry and crab apple tree this spring so I found it so cool that you highlighted both…

• Donna, I found a very cool word generator that may be so much fun for these word/picture associations. So many bloggers are doing this lately and rather than make up a word, it is more fun to challenge yourself with a random selector. I took a spin with it and you would never guess the first word to pop up? It was NATURE. I did it a few more times and REDESIGN came up. Talk about fate… It was like the generator knew who was clicking to generate a word. Spooky.

You can use any type of word too, adjective, adverb, verb (transitive) or (intransitive), select a very common word to obscure word. Here is the site. I was going to add it to the W4W post this month. When I went to the site to get the link, the word Neighbor was generated. Even that word would be one I could use too.

13. b-a-g says:

Donna – I can’t see a robin but I’ll watch this space. “Reflection” will be a difficult one for me because I only have a bird-bath filled with murky water – but I’ll try my best.

14. Dear Donna, Your blog is always so professional — I’m impressed with your calendar. You have made the Month in Tens into an interesting and informative project, and I look forward to your postings. P. x